Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. #61 jerry111165, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
    Oak leaves *are* slightly acidic - just like pine needles but I actually use both in my compost. It all evens out.

Dr Who, trust me, I know how hard not having places can be - we were in crappy apartments in aeveral cities for years. We had nowhere to do anything. It was just a thought (friends place)

Hey Lil J - at the very least, even if you don't start a compost heap right now it's always a good thing to start collecting materials like leaves. Even if you don't actually ever end up making compost, "Black leaf mold" is such an awesome addition to any garden, indoors or out - and your worms would love it as bedding/food.

J

'Sup Tree.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #62 i.am.a.guest, Aug 26, 2013
    I started a compost pile about 2 months ago. I picked up a bunch of pallets on the side of the road and made a fence of sorts. I cut the front in half for easier access to work the pile.I'm glad I made it too cause my expirment into worm composting isn't going so well and my kitchen scraps were building up. My worms are wanting to escape. The bin seems wet no matter how much shredded newspaper or cardboard. In my compost pile I have been throwing ny ACT scraps. In hoping this will help get my pile activated. When I turned it last it had a ton of ants in it and what looked like white worms or maggots. Should I be worried about that? I haven't added any meat ot diary.

Aww geez! now ima gunna need an Arboring class to decifer what goes in! lol So many damn trees at my place! :0 lol

4. #64 DoodleBug, Aug 26, 2013

Doc Who, for the a-partment dweller or homeowner that desires to make their own compost for their small indoor garden and doesn't have an o-utdoor space to make a compost pile one can make their own compost using a plastic tote.

The larger tote the better and certainly nothing smaller than a 20gal tote. Using a step drill or something 3/8" - 1/2" in diameter heated to melt the tote plastic (step drills are best for drilling in plastic), create holes in series all around the tote to promote air flow and drainage. The more holes the better!

Manage your tote-compost pile just as you would if the pile was outdoors on the farm. Layer appropriately, keep the C:N ratio in the zone, keep it moist, and keep it turned and you will make quality compost right in the spare bedroom or patio of the a-partment.

The best news is to dedicate a bucket or something placed near the k-itchen s-ink. Every single bit of recyclable vegetable matter or other food stuffs recommended for the compost pile goes right into the tote, shut the lid, walk away.

It really is that simple. I recommend at least two totes if not three. This allows you to have a spare tote for turning the other two as required and the other two are different stages and/or different materials for composting.

Oak leaves are fine for compost. Best used if shredded because they require a HUGE amount of nitrogen for the fungi and bacteria to break down oak leaves (specifically oak leaves) and other leaves as well. However, if you have access to better carbon sources use those instead. Nothing specifically grand about using oak leaves in compost unless you are surrounded by oak trees. There are much better options.

Try it. Any of yousse. That's what I used to do when I have a small indoor setup for personal consumption. Made compost in the garage and the basement and as good as any that can be found and I controlled the entire process. You can too!

Good luck

5. That's how I do it currently.

I take some compost from the second pile when I'm building my new one and so on.

6. Do you put holes in the upper portion of the tub, or bottom. Trying to get the design figured out in my head

7. I did 1/4 inch holes on the top half and just slits in the bottom half with a knife.

I turn it often so I am not really worried about it getting soaked.

8. #68 Sam Mcgee, Aug 26, 2013

J, your thoughts are always sound and very welcomed. I wouldn't be anywhere near the gardener I am today without your help & vast knowledge! Huge thank you for everything sir! 

So I'm assuming that I would need to double up the tubs to keep the liquids that accumulate from leaking all over?

You know HaGGard, it sounds like we share a lot of common growing pains!

Thanks all for the great ideas & vibes! :devious:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dr Who, could you just come up with a piece of black roofing rubber or similar to stick under the tote? You're not going to want it dripping wet anyhow - just moist.

I like the idea Doodlebug. The cool thing is that it sounds like it would be pretty easy with this setup, once it's at least partially composted to throw a few pounds of red wigglers into the bin and let them finish it off - then you'll get vermicompost.

Lil J - "need an Arboring class" - dude, I throw literally anything and everything plant based into the compost mix - everything. I don't discriminate. The only thing I've really heard you shouldn't use is Black Walnut, of which I don't have any on my property, and of course the common sense stuff like poison ivy or poison sumac - and the meats and dairy stay out. Other than that it's fair game for everything else. Just like soil mixes, diversity in the compost heap = all the macro/micro elements and organic compounds/PGR's and other organic goodness we want in the mix.

Deficiencies??? Not on my watch...

It nice not worrying or thinking about that craziness ain't it! I look around the "Indoor Growing" threads and half the discussion is about deficiencies - sheesh.

J

11. I could always use another tub lid turned over? I really wasn't sure how much liquid would be put off. I'm sure I can come up with a plan. Thinking of buying another wire shelving unit (the original wire shelf unit holds my recycled soil in tubs). I already have a vermicomposting bin setup, just added some fresh worms to (I nuked my first reds) after the bin settled a bit. I've kind of been composting in tubs for the most part. Just wasn't sure if it was the right way or not. I have a really bad habit of not sharing my thinking or what I'm currently doing. Self confidence, I suppose. Oh well, I am working on it. 

12. #72 GiMiK, Aug 26, 2013
    Double post. :smoking:

Please do NOT use leaves, roots or even bark from these; they contain an allelopathic compound called juglone, which is extremely toxic to quite a few plant species, unless you plan on composting them in a separate pile/heap.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/staff/rbir/blackwalnutcompanions.html

"Walnut leaves can be composted because the toxin breaks down when exposed to air, water and bacteria. The toxic effect can be degraded in two to four weeks. In soil, breakdown may take up to two months. Black walnut leaves may be composted separately, and the finished compost tested for toxicity by planting tomato seedlings in it. Sawdust mulch, fresh sawdust or chips from street tree prunings from black walnut are not suggested for plants sensitive to juglone, such as blueberry or other plants that are sensitive to juglone. However, composting of bark for a minimum of six months provides a safe mulch even for plants sensitive to juglone."

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

14. It's the best way to learn right? From our mistakes I mean. It's what makes experience valuable. We all keep screwing up until we get it right... Lol

Thank God Mondays over. Hey - long weekend coming up too!!

J

• Like Like x 1
    :confused_2:

16. Not that I have any walnut here but it sounds to me like if you compost it and let your compost mature it'll be just fine? The big heap that I'm working off of is literally 3 years old. Now, I know that 3 years is excessive but when I first put the materials together for this heap I didn't follow any kind of a C:N ratio - I just kept dumping materials into a pile. It wasn't until a year ago that I actually took this pile of materials and followed a basic C:N recipe and got it underway - but it still took a year for it to be mature enough for me to be comfortable using it.

Anyhow, I'm off topic. So 6 month minimum and the jugalone seems to be degraded enough for use? Good info GiMiK. I've always heard the walnuts a no-no but never looked into specifics.

J

17. Pete,

I think bcheese's compost tumbler would fit in a similar footprint as a large tote. Put a water heater drain pan under the barrel and you'd contain any fluid leakage. :confused_2:

[​IMG]

18. Pete, he was referring to his own (double) post.

J

Yessir! Thanks for the suggestion Chunk! 

Oooh...

20. #80 Pink, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
    This is what my worm bin setup looks like, Pistol :) I came up with it in the winter, wanted to lift it up of the cold basement floor and it works perfectly, still plenty of air getting in if needed and any run off (if I ever get any) gets washed-out easily. You could use a lumber instead of wire shelf. Cement mixing thing would work as a catch pan too as you can see.

Worm bin.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have a lot of holes on the bottom and landscape fabric inside, which keeps the contents from falling out.