Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Built this yesterday in about an hour. All free materials except the screws. Going to use it specifically for leaf mold. 8472A200-E055-490D-B73F-556615B006CD.jpeg BD926A72-6B48-435F-9BC5-287082321A68.jpeg 01DCA84E-6579-4EE0-954F-5FFC01F47402.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Here's what I have left for leaf mold at the moment. I believe it's about a cubic yard. I collected the leaves and added Lactobacillus while filling the bins. I did leave them whole until the following spring of the first year. I then shredded all of my bins and added IMO5. They have since been switched from a wire fence bin to the GEOBIN for storage until I need it. I believe this GEOBIN helps retain moisture better than the wire fencing, yet still provides good air circulation. 20210916_142630.jpg 20210916_142622.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I used the last of my leaf mold 2 weeks ago to make a final compost pile. I’m ready to start collecting and shredding.
    My goal is to have enough leaf mold for mixing soil once a year (15 gallons is plenty), and have the rest available to just shovel into grass clippings to make compost. You can build a pile pretty damn fast when the browns are shredded and decomposing! I also want to say that making mini piles this summer worked awesome. Starting a little on the side of “green rich”, and following the Berkeley turning schedule worked every time for me. I transplanted Ornamental potted plants in to 18 day old compost countless times, and the plants loved it!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. I fractured my tibia on August 1rst. Just started walking without a cane about 4 days ago. So I turned my neglected compost piles today. The tall wire fence bin had it's first turning today and the other GEOBIN is on it's 4th or 5th. I keep adding lots of comfrey and a little horsetail each time to the GEOBIN. 20210916_170030.jpg 20210916_170126.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Can we just turn the Giobin over from around the current pile to start a new one or is that easier said than done?

• Like Like x 2
  6. That’s some nice looking stuff in the geobin.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I just unclip mine and move it right next to the established pile. Then work from the outside of the old pile placing it inside the center of the new GEOBINS placement. My piles stand up by themselves when I remove and reposition the bin.

• Like Like x 3
  8. @TimJ , that green stuff that you id’d for me a while back is breaking down to look good. I only have a 7 gallon bucket of it going for a test run but have a bunch more growing out there. This will probably fill flower pot when it’s done, if that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I just started compost in a 25 gallon plastic rotating bin, but it won’t “start”.
    I primed it with green grass clippings, wheat straw, a couple of cups of compost from my huge compost pile and small amounts of wilted lettuce, water Mellon rind and sweet corn shucks. It’s “one drop when squeezed” moist. It just won’t start. I even inoculated with bottled, diluted microbes. Turning every 3-4 days. What am I doing wrong? Wish would have rinsed it out before I started….. what to do?

• Like Like x 3
  10. It might be not enough nitrogen/green matter. Or it's to dry. Microbes need water to become most active. When first starting a pile I soak it until water comes out the bottom. Then water as needed while flipping. HTH

• Like Like x 1
  11. A big wad of finely chopped fresh cut greens in the middle will get the ball rolling. Something like fresh cut grass works really well.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. #2892 Weedweasle, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    My lawn grass isn’t so green right now…. Fresh organic spinach or lettuce?Would cannabis leaves count as fresh cut greens?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fresh green anything! And yes cannabis leaves work great. The green cannabis leaves already contain all the right nutrients in the proper ratios to boot!
    Cheers
    Os

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I've been mowing and bagging the leaves and grass lately, gonna be a good harvest:weed:
    KIMG5322.JPG

KIMG5263.JPG

KIMG5254.JPG

KIMG5243.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ive been laying the green n browns in a line and I straddle myself over pile and pitch fork it, seems easier than turning in a bin.

• Like Like x 3
  16. The old wind row method is pretty efficient! Way to go.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. so thats what its called, just gotta watch the toes!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. My wonderful neighbors texted me to let me know they had some leaves for me. Turned out to be a 16x20’ tarp loaded 2’ deep, and 16x12’ tarp loaded 2’ deep.
    We dragged the tarps over to my compost corner and I went at it with the Flowtron.
    When all was said and done, I ended up with 64 cu ft of shredded leaves. This is the first time ever, I have dealt with dry leaves. The flowtron made 64 cu ft of shredded leaves in just 40 minutes. With wet matted leaves, I suspect it would have taken me 2-3 hours.
    I have been freaking out worrying that I wasn’t going to have leaves for next summer. I’ve been crazy busy with fall things, since it snowed 11 days ago.
    I feel like two tarps of good dry leaves is the best present I ever have gotten.
    Now I’m set to make compost mini piles every time the same neighbors mow the lawn, all next summer. Plenty to make leaf mold too!!!!
    Cheers
    Os

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I wish your neighbor could read this…

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Score!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2