Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. My unit really is just a string trimmer in a can. If you have to ever chip limbs or anything like that, it’s a way better move to get a legit chipper shredder.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I read you describe yours in another thread. I’m old times with bark n such, using a hatchet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DSCN0833.JPG This is what I use. 8 hp Troy built Tomahawk chipper shredder. If you can find one of these old machines,buy it.. They kick ass.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I have a Stihl leaf blower with a vacuum/grinder attachment. I put about 4" of ground leaves on my garden beds every year.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I have access to one of those, but it works pretty marginally at sucking up wet leaves, which unfortunately is almost always my situation up here. It does make a terrific product in the end. I have even tried storing leaves and sucking them up later when dryer, but only the top inch or two ever dry out. The wet leaves just Matt together to well and never really dry.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  6. Agreed, the wet leaves get matted up in mine (Worx brand) and I finally gave up and just piled them all up. Dried leaves get shredded easy peasy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The guy is here today with his compost materials maker, some folks call it a lawn mower, I call it a compost material maker. I’ve intentionally let it overgrow and gonna tip for that, but I’m going to be there with can and rake as soon as he loads up.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Speaking of compost makers...I would like some input from you all.

I've got about 1/2 acre of lawn to mow, and have an old riding mower to do so. When I make compost, I borrow my neighbors push mower with a bag to collect my grass clippings for most of my greens (push mowing 1/2 an acre is no fun - I did it growing up and I'm past that lol). I use his mower because my rider doesn't have a bagger.

I'd like to stop borrowing my neighbors mower since I want to make more compost and would feel guilty if I mowed something that damaged his mower. New push mowers that move themselves run between $300-500 here for a decent, mid-range brand; the newfangled battery operated ones are about the same if not a little more expensive, and are such new tech I'm not sold on them yet. A bagger unit for my riding mower is at least that much, maybe a little more, and probably gonna be hard to find easily (Craigslist).

So I'm a little stuck because I like the idea of adding a bagger to my riding mower; but it's an older mower and I can't guarantee it'll live a long life. But I kinda hate push mowing my lawn since it takes 1-1.5 hours. Should I just find a used push mower that fits my needs, or buy new?! Choices choices...

What would you guys do in my shoes?

• Like Like x 2
  9. My neighbor has a self propelled cordless push mower that is pretty damn sweet. It’s a craftsman. She bags it for me too!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. How about one of these? I'm sure you could rig something up.

EDIT: I guess it would be good for dry leaves but grass might be too heavy.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. :roflmao::roflmao:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Os had a good suggestion on the self propel. You’ll get to walk for exercise. I would drill a piece of plastic over the deck exhaust to knock the clippings down and run the old rider. Just a thought. It’s hard to escape the rake with composting.

I am loaded with a yard full of fresh cut greens. I raked a pile with my cane that were on the walkway. Exciting moments in mulch.

• Like Like x 4
  13. I’ve got a couple acres to mow. I don't bother with the grass but come fall when its time to collect a mountain of leaves I simply start at the house, driving around the house in an ever increasing circle, just blowing the leaves away and when the line of leaves gets too thick to continue - then I collect them and keep on mowing until its too thick again and time too collect some more. I’ve got a great big dump garden cart and that works good.

If I used a bagger I’d be emptying it every 20’.

j

• Like Like x 5
  14. I'm hoping this gets hot enough to season cast iron. Plenty of grass and leaves.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  15. I mow a little over 4 acres. I use a lawn sweep to collect grass and leaves.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I can’t half see what I’m doing with my phone. The grass isn’t even in the photo but I assure you, I’m like a pig in mud with the grass clippings I have. The poverty ass looking yard paid off.:D

• Like Like x 2
  17. How often are you emptying it, Tim?

I guess it’d be alot less if you stay on top of the lawn and more if you let it grow longer. They were actually really popular growing up - I dont see them much any more.

My rider mower is a side discharge so I’d have to cover that opening to get it to work. Havent even seen one of them in a long time.

Sears Roebuck used to sell alot of them.
    j

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maybe 6 to 8 times every time I mow. I mow once a week this time of the year. I have 4 compost piles going and use the grass clippings for mulch at the base of our raspberry plants. My lawn sweep is a pull behind.I mow then pick up the grass. It's the parts of the lawn near our ponds that grow fastest and supply most of my needs.

• Like Like x 3
  19. There’s not even duct tape on the joints. Must be a dry fit/ mock up pic.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  20. My folks had a pull behind lawn sweep. Worked with any riding mower, or even an ATV I suppose. Everyone in the neighborhood borrowed it once in a while. That’s what I would look for. Or build @DaPhats unit.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1