Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. @ElRanchoDeluxe thanks for the image of the bin you made should be able to make one like that !!!
    Don't know if you read my last post asking if I could use the compost I have that had Fox Forest soil It is in it ( about 9 gallons originally ) bin has been used for a number of years with grass clippings and yard waste.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice dude! I love using free materials. A really simple way to build the front of the bin is to use sticks of wood that slide/rest on the opening/slats in the pallet if that makes sense? Then drape a piece of burlap or landscape fabric over it. Simple enough to pull out a single piece at a time to access it. I cheat and use hardwood flooring strips that are about 1x1” or so. I suppose you could take a board or two off a pallet and cut it for this purpose too. This method lets you get right down to the bottom easily.
    Its tough to say without looking at it. I would hate to give you bad advice. I would be more concerned about the compost being finished than the Fox Farm. I always recommend testing/bioassay with a tomato plant first if there is ever any doubt.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks ElRancho ,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  4. In my neck of the woods there’s no such thing as a free lunch. I think if you offered the smoothie shop owner a tray of wheatgrass micro greens or a six pack of beer it would go a long way. Instead of showing up with your hand out... offer something in return. Just my two cents.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  5. #2367 Patricia Clemons, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    It was done, unfortunately a stranger living in Atlanta has struck enough fear into this lady working in Michigan that she dare not let anybody but the garbage man take her trash ‍♀️

Which is the case with most jobs as people in this country are indoctrinated by fearmongering since childhood. Terrified of things that result in nothing more than a "don't do that"

But when they suffer everyday for the company and read the email that says "good job" and that reward center is triggered by nothing more than a stranger (boss) saying good job.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

The offering of bountiful fruits had me a silly thought
    This isn't the 60s where you bake your neighbor a pie and the gesture is welcomed.
    It's 2020, you get a pie from your neighbor and the cops are called for harassment or "could be poison"
    Atleast in these progressive parts of the city

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pie still works where I live.
    When I go help my neighbor ladies they always bake something, it gives them an excuse. I double as a taster. I do whatever they need, he have coffee and baked goods and visit. Then they send me home with goodies. I never accept money.
    The guys offer a beer or whatever, Or cook something on the grill.
    It’s how this whole thing is supposed to work.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Same here OS.

Or a nice jug of sweet tea.

Gotta love a small town full of amazing people.

Help them out of kindness and just being a good person and they return the favor. Though it doesn’t ever have to be expected. Just in a days work.

The heart that loves the wicked ego creates the hated enemy. - Masanobu Fukuoka

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Exactly. I never expect anything, but appreciate the thank you goodies. It actually helps folks feel self worth on all sides. It might just be me, but I swear nothing makes a mom or grandma happier, than to have someone to ‘mother’ or fuss over once in while. They all try to fatten me up.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 7
  9. Same here haha.

Especially my real grandmother.... jeez she never lets me leave without a home cooked meal and some sweet tea.

Whose complaining though?

It does help people feel better about their self though. Especially if they are no longer physically able to cut down trees, prune plants, or even rake the leaves.

But damn can they sure still cook.

The heart that loves the wicked ego creates the hated enemy. - Masanobu Fukuoka

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Cruising craigslist last night I found someone offering raw organic poultry litter. At $10 per ton I’d like to get as much as possible to make compost. If I just piled it up and let it sit, how long would it take before it becomes magical?

• Like Like x 2
  11. I believe one year. Unless it is hot composted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Tim. I googled around and found several articles about hot composting and Berkeleys method of acquiring finished compost in 18 days! Seems I’m gonna need a tractor to turn over tons at a time! And a lot of leaves or straw!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Also, it seems a person could make a decent amount of money turning poo into saleable compost!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Well I talked to a guy down the road about a potential business adventure and he seems excited. He's retired, has a lot of land, and most importantly...tractors!
    So I had 10 tons of litter delivered today with another 10 coming tmrw and we'll likely put 50 more on his place.
    The plan is to hot compost it so now I need to find enough carbon to mix with it. My mind goes to straw or maybe even round hay bales but I'd love to hear some suggestions. I was asked today if green wood chips would suffice and I have no clue. Any ideas about that?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Is there bedding mixed into the chicken manure, if yes, you might not need as much carbon as you think, I have only used aged horse manure and I had to add greens to get it to heat up,

• Like Like x 2
  16. #2378 GahCaw, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Thanks ElRancho for reposting the pix of bin that Alluvium made last month.On the weekend I made one with the help of my wife . 20200405_124255.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  17. There was bedding but it was minimal. I was told about 2" of pine shavings and the birds are ran on that for 15-18 months. It's not visible anymore for sure! I do see quite a few egg shells and even whole eggs.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ideally I would like to make a very high quality planting mix. Woukd it be more beneficial to add rock dust and other amendments while it's cooking or after?

• Like Like x 1