Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. yeh. there is not now nor has there ever been much anonymity on the internet no matter how we connect.

@tzorge if you live in the eu i more clearly understand your challenges. good luck fulfilling your cannabis dreams mate!

• Like Like x 2
  2. I just can’t believe the difference in the states laws. Jeez. I would still be a long way from very serious (mandatory) penalties but it’s scary just the same.

• Like Like x 2
  3. My piles that I built last month are doing really well! It’s been a really cool, wet spring for us this year... check out the shrooms growing out of the side of them!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. D2953AA4-62E4-466C-8590-07F2482A2EAF.jpeg Here’s a shot of the beautiful finished material from last year. I added some composted horse manure that sat over the winter. It came loaded with wrigglers last year and by now is nicely broken down and still packed with worms! I’m gonna let them work it for a month or two... black gold!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. 8FC60503-DEDD-4FD5-8E51-21D0EF3BD241.jpeg Thermophyllic get off!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. also green & yellow, trichoderma harzianum

• Like Like x 3
  7. Looks like you got hooked and are building more compost?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Yup... this is going to be an annual event from now on. I can’t see myself NOT needing a mountain of good compost in the future!

• Like Like x 5
  9. You should get in the habit of logging into GC through a VPN. I live in a recreational/medical state and still use one for another layer of security.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. I use a VPN on my phone for everything lol. Even use the Signal app to talk to certain people because it’s encrypted too. Can’t be to careful!

“You are unlimited!”
    Prepper420’s No-Tillin Adventure!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. I use the Opera browser on both my laptop and my phone which has a built in VPN feature. I agree that you can't be too careful!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Built-In VPN's are better than none, but every single free one will track you, and they are frequently blocked by Netflix/Amazon. I've used both (not concurrently) and highly recommend ExpressVPN or NordVPN.

Plus, you can connect to websites through other countries' VPN's. Bypassing geographical restrictions globally is incredibly versatile (if you're ever there, the annual cost is worth it to be able to access google's services from inside China), especially for streaming media. :ninja:

Also, and I'm going to use my laziness as an excuse to talk about compost, has anyone tried adding different kinds of seaweed to compost piles? I could get shopping bags full of it nearby and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of going and chopping it down.

:hide:

13. I have. My friend lives down near the beach and he sends his kids out beachcombing for all the bull kelp they can find. He doesn't worry about rinsing the salt off for composting. Its a lot of work to chop the bull kelp, but the price is right. Its almost the perfect ratio of C:N, so you can build a pile of just bull kelp and its breaks down well. You can never go wrong adding other stuff.
    The other thing he does with bull kelp is just stuff it in barrels of water and lets it sit for a while. That is then used as his regular water source for grow. When the barrel starts getting half empty he just refills it. It can get a little fowl smelling after a while, but he says that is when the plants really seem to like it.
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Well that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll give them both a shot and report back.

The tea makes sense, since the salt in the seaweed in the original mix would encourage the growth of lactobacilli in the solution, which would then probably be able to feed on the kelp. Seems like a hell of a tea!

15. I spilled a large bucket of used cat litter on my compost pile. Problem?

Or can it be used!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. “Composting cat litter is not enough to kill the diseases associated with cat feces. In order to kill toxoplasmosis, a compost pile would have to reach a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (73 C.)”

Read more at Gardening Know How: Cat Feces In Compost: Why You Should Not Compost Cat Waste Cat Feces In Compost: Why You Should Not Compost Cat Waste

• Like Like x 5
  17. If you picked the turds out, and let it compost well for a several months I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm pretty sure the litter portion is just DE or clay. I have actually used my urine to try to heat up compost piles (instead of wetting with water at the beginning).
    Just be mindful of preppers post and links.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  18. Like OS said, prolly okay if you pick the big stuff out, maybe remix with some grass clippings to heat it back up and turn it well. Should be okay...