Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. It may or may not. For me adding extra air helps the initial and subsequent heat ups, avg temp here is 50-60 in summer. How often you turn it really depends on particle size, C:N ratio, and how well the pile was initially blended together.
    IME it has to be turned more than once no matter what.
    If the physical work is too demanding and you have multiple piles I would do this. Its been long enough for first cook, turn all the piles. Then after a week, focus on only one pile that you will use first. Turn that one as often as needed to get usable compost. Worry about subsequent turning of the other piles, a couple weeks before you need them. The longer they sit, the more they break down, and easier to turn.

Another tip for easier pile turning, avoid putting sticks and branches in the pile (especially at the bottom). They are a bitch to fork. Things like stems should be chopped into small pieces.

hth
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I would turn a compost heap every 48-72 hours for the first 2 weeks - and then once a week for a couple weeks - and then every 2-3 weeks for the next several turns - and then once a month for another several months.

Use a pitchfork for easiest moving. Simply take the top of the heap and drop it next to the existing heap and keep going till the bottom of the heap is now on top.

I never need to moisten my heaps once initially constructed.

GL

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ok, thanks. I like the idea of just concentrating on the one pile... ,yeah my back sucks. Got some helpers tho....
    I finally got a compost thermometer and shoved it into the piles. The 36” diameter piles were still at 115 degrees and the 48” one was still cranking above 130.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Great info thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  5. It’s most important in the early stages to turn to continuously keep that supply of O2 cranking.

I have always just moved the heap over a couple feet - back and forth. The top ends up on the bottom and the bottom ends up on the top. Pretty effective.

I miss my tractor! In several scoops the heap would be turned and nicely too.Id scoop up a third of a good sized heap, lift the bucket high and let it all sift down - worked great.

But a good pitchfork it is. Shovel be useless.

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. A Canterbury hoe works great for this method and is a lot easier on your back than a pitch fork. Redpig tools will make one with any length of a handle to make it comfortable for any person's height.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Oh man I like the look of that tool!
    Definitely looks like the right one for the job. Anything to save what’s left of my back

• Like Like x 2
  8. Or the right of your back.

For me it’s the lower back... ;)

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Yup, all lower here too.
    Worked too hard and played even harder all my life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Quick question mates. I live in the deep north of Alaska feels like fall is already starting... around 20hours of light a day by the temp highs are 45-50ish and lows are breaking close to freezing. Would i be able to do a cut if all the grass and weeds around the property, about 3ft or taller lol never whipped out the weed whacker this year, pile up all the grass/weeds clippings and allow them to compost? Or will the cold hault any form of compost and wait till next year?

11. That’s a tough one man, I would think composting outdoors there would be a serious challenge anytime of the year? Is there any shed/garage space you could use?

Maybe on a tarp in the corner? Or build a custom compost bin that doubles as a worm farm? Maybe something like these raised beds would work for you?
    Raised Beds - Cannabis Fabric Pots

I’m sure you’ve thought of most of these, just tossing ideas around.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You need to make really big piles. The 3 feet cubed rule won't do it for you. Be sure and use lots of brown. If you have chainsaw sawdust, use that as a brown.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  13. I live in Montana. A few years back I wanted to try to keep worms alive in an unheated 2x4 bin. I managed to overheat the bin and kill the worms when it was around 0F outside.
    I'm also going to politely disagree with OS about using more browns in the winter or using chainsaw sawdust ever!
    Nitrogen will bring heat to the pile, while carbon and browns serve to cool it and make it not stink. I would try to find some of the strongest N sources that you can.

I cut firewood for a good 10 years or so for a living in the fall and winter. I've dumped hundreds of gallons of bar oil in the saw over that time. I would often check to make sure the bar was spitting oil by holding the tip a few inches from a stump and visually inspect the stump for an oil mark. What I'm getting at is they spit plenty of oil. Personally, I don't want this in my compost.
    When things start to get really cold cover or make the pile out of straw bales or another insulating material.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. I totally forgot about the bar oil aspect, RD. I used to use home type saw mill saw dust. Virtually everyone that far north burns wood up here.
    The reason that I mentioned adding the browns, he was intending to use only weeds/grasses.
    I was assuming that there are no browns up there yet. I was guessing its either an area with mostly needle trees, or the leaves aren't dropping yet (I am in the same exact situation right now and every summer). I'm a little farther south, I feel lucky I can drive an hour and buy straw.
    Its always tricky the way it works out. In the summer I have all greens and no browns. Then when the fall comes and leaves become available, I have only well aged greens that have already started breaking down. This would be fine, but just like TMCCViking, the temps are real cool by then, as the leaves don't fall until after the first frosts occur. (Shreded leaves plus shreded bale alfalfa worked for me last fall, quite well in fact).
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks guys. And i actually live in Hooper Bay, Alaska. Right on the coast. Bout 100miles or so south of Nome. Now, there is actually no trees where i am. Just miles and miles of tundra, grasslands, and berry feilds. No trees, not even a shrub in site. I was hoping that yard clippings would serve as a N source and a C source but im going to have to get creative for C. And while you guys are sharing some knowledge. I ordered worms to attempt vermicompost but the little fellas are revolting and creating a mass prison break literally climbing the bucket sides. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. I hear what you mean on coming face to face with a bear. This summer while hunting birds here in alaska i caught my very first and hopefully only bear ever after coming face to face with him. I'm 6'3" tall. One moment im scouting some ducks next moment i'm turning around to a grizzly standing up completely dwarfing me right infront of me. Luckily i had the 12 gauge fully loaded and pumped out 8 shells out of adrenaline. This bear was a 9ftr and was properly taken care of. The meat was used for a village wide feast and handed out to a lot of elders in town i dont promote killing animals unless its providing for you and family but in that situation you are forced too...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. A bit late but I think if you aerate the pile it will be ok as the aerobic microbes will take over.

• Agree Agree x 1

18. Coffee grounds are a great N source. Perhaps you could collect enough manure if you found where a herd of Caribou bedded down for the night. Silt from local rivers would make a good addition to a compost pile. Well rinsed kelp may be another one for you.
    When the grass is green it's an N source. In the fall when it turns brown its a C source.
    If you guys can keep your piles from freezing until the bears are hibernating fish or fish waste can really heat up a pile. Which makes me wonder if Polar bears hibernate? Lol!

As for the worms what materials did you use for the bucket. Try 2 parts of the nicest soil you can find (think river floodplain) 1/2 part shredded cardboard or even newspaper all mixed up. Then put some grass clippings about 2" deep as a mulch layer. Once you need to feed it use compost, grass, and maybe some droppings or scat you collect...I'd stick to herbivores. Not sure if anyone keeps chickens that far North but the manure is an excellent N source. Just a few thoughts for ya.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  19. My neighbor was born in Hooper Bay. I would still make a big pile of what you have and let it break down. It might not heat up, but it will break down over time. I would use whats left as bedding for a worm bin.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sinse, I find gardening strategies for northern climates interesting as heck!

I'm wondering if you have tried 'solarizing' a pile with clear plastic?