Backyard Chickens

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dearest Leader, Mar 7, 2015.

1. I'm moving to Wisconsin and the city I'll be living in allows you to keep chickens so I've been entertaining the idea. I'm always up early and I love taking care of animals even if it means dirty work. Has anyone here ever kept some backyard chickens? One thing I haven't thought of is winter time...

2. Yeah, my wife keeps chickens, and ducks too. Nothing better than fresh free range eggs. But they do have to be tended to daily.

3. I'm in WI and just got our first chicken coop we are in the city as well. My plan is to let them free range in the backyard to keep the bugs in the garden under control as well as eggs and poop for the compost pile. For winter I built a large space under my workbench and will use heat lamps. Once chickens become adults the are pretty hardy animals. What part of the state will you be living?

4. I had 2 chickens before, they were menacing to the neighborhood cats believe it or not.

My mom has a bunch of fancy chickens at her place, the eggs are blue!

5. Chickens are fun. Some are better suited for some parts of the country than others. The heavier breeds winter better and usually give brown eggs. I wouldn't let my chickens run loose in a city. They crap anywhere and could cause problems with the neighbors. Cars and streets might not be too healthy for them either. Build them a coop in the backyard. That's part of the fun. Good luck.

6. Chickens are relatively easy. as long as you have a heated/warm coop for winter time I'm sure they'll be ok

7. Madison.
    What kind of chickens do you have?

8. The Breed is Redstar they lay nice big brown eggs they are super friendly and tame they follow me around the yard. The other night all 5 came onto our deck and tried to come in the screen door while we were eating dinner

9. #9 Dearest Leader, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
    Haha nice. I was visiting a neighbour from down there (I'm in Canada at the moment) and they've got chickens that will come sit in your lap when you're on the deck. On a side note: Australorp chickens looks like beasts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. That's a god damn turkey!! How many chickens can you have in Madison?

11. From what I've read we can have up to 4 hens and no roosters.

12. Where I am we aren't supposed to have any but in my typical fashion I say "Ahhh Fuck Em!" I'm getting chickens. I use them as pest and weed control and in return I get poop for my compost 3eggs a day and when I feel like it we eat one here and there as well. Here's The compost result
    I'm 5'9" so you have a idea
    [​IMG]

13. haha fuck the man. They really do seem like great animals to raise. I like knowing exactly what goes into my food as well. I saw plans for a coop with an herb garden on the roof and thought that was a pretty neat idea. I'll definitely be reviving the garden in my boyfriend's backyard too!

14. My buddy and I had built a chicken coop an took care of about 4-6 chicks from birth, as long as they have space and food they are happy little fuckers. Always nice to go out to the backyard smoke a J and hang with the Chicks ;P They arn't mean either you just gotta make sure if you have a lot to keep them from killing eachother, bitches be crazy!

15. I raised chickens for a few years as pets. Only ate their eggs, they were very tame and friendly chickens since we hand raised them since chicks. It all ended when my neighbors huskies escaped from their kennel as my chickens were free ranging, poor bastards never stood a chance, I was able to save one of them that I still have to this day, she's a good hen

16. Buff Orpington chickens are a cold hardy breed. They can withstand temps in the -20s.