Background check at new job

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by coolerdude44, Oct 29, 2013.

1. I was arrested twice for marijuana, once in 2011 which resulted in a probationary period where I passed and did not end up with a criminal conviction.

Unfortunately, it happened again over the summer in June. I was arrested with 0.6 grams and I now have a disorderly persons offense (NJ speak for misdemeanor, although they're quick to tell you how it's "not as serious as a crime... though it still shows up on background checks") on my record.

I'm an accounting major economics minor at Penn State, and I just got offered an internship for internal auditing for summer 2014. However, in the email offer, it says on the following conditions... and naturally one of the conditions was the passing of a background check.

Since this second arrest, I have quit smoking marijuana cold turkey for the simple reason that it was a wakeup call that I will not be able to live the type of life I have been working for if I keep smoking. I loved weed and it never once interfered with my life apart from legally, but I decided that I just don't have the luck to keep smoking.

Anyway, does anybody have experience of getting a job with this on their record? What's my best course of action here, and do you think they will care?

2. #3 NjSouRKuSh, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
    Would mattwr for my business the 2nd charge. And weed has interfered in your life look what has happned. And you might be okay but looks bad especially twice. One time maybe but twice no Sent from my SGH-T959 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. They probably wouldn't care since 58% of Americans support legalization.

4. Its not the same in every state but Cali you don't have to disclose any arrests that are misdeameanors for marijuana...

I just got a job with felony distribution of narcotics on my record.. it depends on the place hiring you, if you can pass a drug test and you are honest with them you have a good chance of it being a non issue...

criminal offenses that worry employers I think are more like Theft or Violent crimes.. if you can pass a drug test that will prove it's in your past..

Also I am in the process of getting my felony expunged from my record, look for lawyers in your area that provide this service and you can have it sealed 

5. I don't think weed interfered with your life it seems the police interfered in your life.  It's crazy that it comes up on your background check even without a conviction.  

6. As long as it isint a felony charge it shouldn't be that big a deal.

7. Get those records expunged. 

8. I work at a place that does background checks but not drug tests.  I worked next to this lady that went to prison for felony meth charges.  She still got hired even though they do background checks.  She was not able to get hers sealed because you can only use that once and she used it on a prior charge.  I have a clean record, but she still got hired even with a felony meth charge.  I don't really think they are going to care about a drug charge.  Its like they said above.  Drug charges dont really say that you are a criminal.  They are looking for things like theft, robery, violent crimes, rape.  Thats the kind of stuff that shows that you would not be a good person to work for the company.  Drug charges on the other hand are kind of like a minor consumption in a way.  Just bogus charges that don't mean anything.  You paid your fine and moved on.

9. It's not a big deal,
    companies generally only worry about charges that that are associated with violence and theft.
    If you smoked a joint and got caught, or stole a car stereo from a car when you were 17, that shit doesn't matter.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Man, it's confirmed!

I work in recruitment, and today we had a case were the applicant signed that he didn't have a record, but after we ran a criminal record check it showed up that he was disqualified for a year for drink driving a few years ago, so we had to refer the case to management..

And everybody thinks that he will not get a job now because he lied, but when I asked 'what about if he would've admitted it?'
    -Oh, then it wouldn't be a problem at all as its not related to the job in anyway,
    They said.

So there you go :)