Back Country Camping/Lincoln Woods Trail, White Mountain National Forest

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by THCandroid, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Hey fellow fans of hiking/camping:wave:

it's summer time and i am planning a camping trip for the northern part of my state!

i was looking at camping of off the Kencamangus Highway, on the Lincoln Trail! it's supposed to be beautiful during the summer and follows a river for quite a few miles. definitely looking forward to a 3-4 day trip (depending on who can get what off of work) .

what experience's do you guys have to share and maybe some quick tips and tricks you have picked up along the way? looking for some good advice for this will be my first time going all out on a trip like this (have gone back country camping...outside the city a few times :laughing:)

what are some essential supplies i should be looking into bringing with me? i plan on bringing food, but also plan to catch a lot of food in the rivers/ponds around.

i know to bring my tent, sleeping bag, water, extra cloths etc., but am looking for, from personal experience, things that work a lot easier than others for you and why?

thanks for reading :D:smoke:

EDIT: oh, btw these are some coordinates if you feel like checking the area out, just copy/paste into Google maps 44.079692, -71.552581

link to what i'm looking at
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...sb&biw=1600&bih=799&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

2. Here are some basic supplies i would recommend:

Knife or multi-tool

water filter

bug spray

A magnesium stick for fire (maybe some matches if you plan on burning herb)
    Amazon.com: Fire Strike Magnesium Flint Fire Starter: Sports & Outdoors

Tarp and rope: A tarp beneath your tent provides a layer of insulation between you and the ground. At night this is important because the earth's surface can be cold and will suck the heat out of you. Additionally if it rains while you're on the trail you will be able to quickly set up some good cover.

In terms of food here are some staples of my camping diet: instant noodles/ mac and cheese, peanut butter, beef jerky/summer sausage, and of course trail mix. Also tea.

Have fun man it looks like a cool area :wave:

3. #3 Slapbassist531, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
    Go to walmart

primarily 3 things.

peanut butter
    hobo kit (camping section - pocket knife with spoon/fork/knife/etc. for like $6)
    sleeping pad (1'' 'self'-inflatable)

sleeping pad makes sleeping outdoors SO much nicer, even just the 1''

peanut butter is awesome to snack on - it lasts long, and it is healthy to boot. And it tastes good.

hobo kit is awesome. it's a pocket knife that seperates in two, to have a knife/spoon and fork/canopener. All extends/contracts. It's made of metal, so you can cook with it, as well as it will work wonders with above-mentioned-peanut butter

EDIT: check into a portable salt-pepper shaker thing. Got one @ walmart camping for about $2. salt/pepper. When you're camping, its almost surprising how much it complements some foods..

Don't know the quality of your tent, but you can get a spray-in-a-bottle to help the waterproofing of your tent's roof. My tent holds up decent, but had a few bad spots in a strong storm. Condensation points, etc. - slow drip. Just an average walmart tent, about 1-2 years old. Good to do to stuff once in a while, to prevent from any problems. Used it, and haven't seen rain since - just thought I'd add

4. As already stated make sure you've got a reliable knife. I also pack a fold up shovel because I like to make my fire pits in a hole. A lot of people just put rocks In a circle and start a fire, but the coals tend to hold heat longer when down in the ground outta the wind.

Rope or clotheslineis essential along with a waterproof tent.

These fellas already covered most of the basics to being comfy.

5. I went up to the white mountains two years ago, around this time of the year. I loved it up there. I went camping and hiked a bunch of local trails. Now that I'm into mountain biking, I'd like to go up again. Maybe next year.

Are you going to an actual campground, or just finding some spot in the woods and pitching a tent? I haven't done that, but I have stayed at a lot of campgrounds. Much easier, I'd assume. Many conveniences are right there--like ice for your coolers for example. And of course many camping spots have electric, but I don't think that's necessary.

6. thanks for all the advice and feedback.

im really looking forward to this.

and ya, this is going to be back country camping. hiking along a trail and just camping a little distance off the trail overnight.

thanks again for all the advice on what to bring!

7. This seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. Bring energy bars such as clif bars, lots of water, a tent, some sort of night lighting (lantern), extra clothes, first aid, tarp, rode, fishing pole w/ equipment, bug spray, smoke, and a lighter!

8. Cliff bars are great. I've found em for 89 cents a piece the other day and grabbed a bunch.

9. Thats a great deal, I could eat a million clif bars. Dont care for the chocolate chip ones, the crunchy peanut butter is where its at. I saw theres a ton more flavors to choose from, may have to venture off and try something new one day.

10. Yeah I stick to peanut butter.

11. Yea clif bars are the shit. Wegmans sells boxes (I thin 12/box?) for around $10-11 if I remember correctly... I've tried most of the flavors, they're all pretty good. :)

12. In my opinion, the most important thing to remember is to bring a lot of bud. Lots and lots of bud.

13. Nvr been camping up there but the kangamangas is real nice. Kinda touristy almost on a hot summer day but more north is secluded. Look out for bears, and in some places park rangers if you're doing anything illegal ;)

14. so, did this ever happen?

15. oh fuck.

sorry, i completely forgot about this thread.

no, unfortunately we had some postion changes at work so i wasn't able to take the time off. still hoping to do this is in the spring.

however, lately i have been doing some "survivalist camping" and whatnot around local ponds/lakes. its a bit chilly this time of year in NH though, but still managed to camp out in the woods with only a knife and fire starter kit.

16. Thats an awesome spot been up there a few times. All i gotta say with the white mountains the earlier in the season you do it the better. End of April is Ideal otherwise you go up there during black fly season and let me tell you that aint fun.

17. ya, im hoping to head out there during spring break (i work at a university) but if not itll be July/August.

been having a lot of fun going on day trips lately. going for a nice hike Monday to map out a good area close to home at a pond. cool thing is during the summer its typically busy, but in the winter people just use the main trails for snowmobiles and shit so about 95% of the trails (from what i saw a week after the last snow) are not used. i find this to be an ideal area to sort of practice both my primitive skills and identification skills (rocks/plants)

man, i love the outdoors

18. from what I hear, NH is the ideal place for it.... ;)

19. well no shit?, me too ;):D

20. haha NH is great for it!

except the below zero temps the past few days haha