Back Again for Summer 2010

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by ThePot, Jun 7, 2010.

1. #1 ThePot, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    Hello all :wave: Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Some of you might remember me, give me a shout, for those that don't, welcome and don't be shy! All comments and thoughts are appreciated. Let me know if your in the Northeast too, I'm around 42* N.
    I used to be around a lot more when I was in an apartment and got a few indoor runs under my belt but since then its only been outdoor unfortunately. First time was great, link in sig, last year sucked.

Soooo, here I am again. It's been a rough start since I had to start everything outdoors and lost a bunch due almost freezing nights and an early 95*+ day a few weeks ago :eek:. This year I swtiched over to rapid rooters from jiffy cubes and couldnt be happier. They are just awesome, got a nice dome and stuff too so that helped protect the seedlings, until that one fateful hot day haha.

They are all bagseed, I do have some headie seeds but I don't know if I'll be starting more. I started 18, have 10 still alive, 8 looking good from that (see most recent pics) I put them outside on 5/6 and have just been watering them and trying to keep them alive until today when I fed them for the first time. The plan is to go all organic, I had to give them some MG today but I didn't have my fish 5-1-1 on hand. Started in Epsoma organic soil with mychorizae, plan on using the 5-1-1, EC, maybe some guano, and probably some Alaska or Neptunes for bloom, I dunno if anyone has used either but the fish and seaweed, 2-3-1 seemed good. Plenty of time to figure that out. Soil will be the Promix BX, used mostly as is with some added perlite, never used it before either.
    I have 2 new sites, one in a swamp (see pics) the other in a hard to get to southern facing clearing. Will likely be started in 3 gal bags and depending on lots of things going into 5 gallons or ground.
    So with all that out of the way, on to some pics!

pic 1-2 = swamp plot #3 = current temp. plot, sunny! #4-5 = today pics. I dunno why the others are not thumbnaills... anyone? One is the other pic from today the other is first germing pic.

Attached Files:

2. bump, been rainy for the past few days, stay tuned...

3. Hey buddy! Glad to see your back again I just started my thread too. Me and u are gonna have some serious results this year buddy! those swamp spots look awesome, you should do some tubes like me! good luck!

4. #4 ThePot, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    Hell yeah man!

Finally stopped raining so I just went to see them today, 7 are looking good, the 8th isn't looking so great. Guess its time to start a few more, probably 3-4. :eek: To wet to feed today but they look better since last time. The sun must come at a weird angle or something so they've been bending to the light? moved them a little so hopefully they'll grow straighter lol

Attached Files:

5. Love these fledgling grows. Reminds me of the old days. Good luck, thePot.

6. what's up man? Its good to see you back. Hey, I want to run something by you. I'm looking at your soil, and it looks pretty dense. What ratio of aerating material do you have in there (perlite/vermiculite/sand, etc)? I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that most of the problems I see here in the city with various grows is the result of soil that is too dense and can't breathe. Now you say they those plants have been around since 5/6? They're growing slowly and looking a little spindly and that problem can easily be corrected by getting them in a very airy mix. Especially up there in the northeast where you guys can get days of rain at a time, an airy mix is essential. With enough perlite/vermiculite, a plant is very difficult to overwater. Any excess just runs right out of it. On the other hand, aerating materials like perlite and vermiculite hold a certain amount of water that is then redistributed to the plant in times of need. Have a look at the guide to early growth in my sig. It includes loads of good info on soil mixes and watering. If you get those plants in a 30/30/30 mix of peat or cocoa/humus or manure or topsoil/perlite or vermiculite or blend, you will see an explosion in growth. Dont forget to add four cups of pulverized garden lime per bale of peat, which is roughly 25 gallons of peat. Also, remember that roots grow according to the conditions of the immediate root environment. If there is always water where the roots are, they practically won't grow at all--there's no need. The roots will grow when they are forced to seek water, and a well developed root system means massive plants. Take my word on this one man. YOu'll be glad you did. Good luck.

7. Haha thanks for stopping by OP, I've been lurking your thread here and there.

Dank - Thanks for lookin out man, glad to see you around. Yea the soil actually says it contains 45-55% sphagum peat moss, peat humus, perlite, dolomitic lime and enhanced with myco-tone mycorrhizae. But it definitely is light on perlite which I didn't notice until they were transplanted. It is actually very light, fluffy soil but the pics shown are after 3-4 days of rain and being in standing water for a day or two, and I think the moss just retains the water too well. I will be transplanting to promix bx that will have perlite added. Home Depot has bags of humus & manure mix that I was thinking of using. Thanks for the lime tip too, Im always worried about ph with lots of moss. And believe me, I have read your starting guide many many times ;)

8. Went to check on them today after 2 90* days, 6 are still alive and 5 of them are looking good, all about caught up to the biggest one. Fed 5-1-1 today. Also ended up germinating 4 more, one is a headie seed from somewhere. sorry no pics, stay tuned

9. Quick little update from today, everything going fine. They will be transplanted soon into 3 gallon bags and some pro-mix. Just put out the new 4 today seemed to germ really quickly. Weather looks good too :)

Attached Files:

10. Whats up dude...Im sittin' down fo sho! :D

Good luck this year!

11. Thanks for droppin by Supa. I did lose the one with the broken stem but everything else is going great. :)

12. Well I got out and did a bunch today. Beautiful day too, and seeing how it was I decided it was transplant day :) Little sketched about carrying some big bag of soil through the woods but it was fine. First 5 put into 3 gallon bags, as I was doing it I realized I shoulda grabbed some EWC or humus/manure but oh well... just straight promix bx and perlite.
    2 were a little wilted, expected t-storms never came through, but they'll be fine. Was definitely time to transplant as you can see from the pics of two of them. Also, you can see the seedling that is really holding on for life and has really stepped it up! And finally moved the seedlings into the sun more.

All in all I'm happy with how its going so far, and life is good in general, good vibes to ya'll :smoke:

Attached Files:

13. Sweet! looking good buddy, u seem a little behind this year no? Either way u know im rooting for us new england growers!

14. Yea had a rough start, was also thinking maybe I should give them guano or something? something besides the 5-1-1. anyone? Looks like a hot week ahead.

15. Yeah guano for sure! Ive got slow release 5-5-5 for my in ground girls and I add guano 10-8-2 to them plus my soil mix which is somewhere around 20-15-22 or so...

Yeah this week will be the perfect grow week so food and water as needed and they will be growing like weeds :D

16. Thanks Supa, yea I'm hoping they will love this beautiful weather, I sure have been. 10-8-2 sounds pretty solid I'll have to shop around.

17. Yeah Desert Bat Guano :D

Also if you go to a nursery ask them if they have any organic food for roses...contrary to believe roses have a closer food requirement to Cannabis then tomatoes :)

18. Thanks for the tip, didn't know that. Gonna be hot for the next couple days, went out earlier to water, everything is good, although they need to be fed next time. Seedlings are real slow to do much, nervous about leaving them in the sun too much, maybe they just need some ferts, also looks like 1 didn't make it :( Hopefully will get some pics next time. Stay safe and stay cool :smoke:

19. #19 ThePot, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
    Well its still hot as balls here, have finally had to haul in water. Gave them all a nice feeding today a little (1tbs each of) 3-4-7 + 5-1-1 and the key ingredient molasses. No big change yet but I'm hoping with the feeding and some rain this weekend and sun they'll be lookin good :) Little seedlings not doing much still, but are still alive. Only one has roots coming through the bottom, I dunno how hurried I should be to transplant, either 7 or 5 gal. I'd really like to get one to the swamp spot, but its kinda sketchy now...

As always thanks for stoppin by :smoke:
    Oh, and anyone have an opinion on the leaf damage??
    just a little sun damage??

Attached Files:

20. Older growth there so possible heat burn...plant focus' bringing water to the new growth first rather then the old stuff so the lower leaves will be the first to burn if there is not enough water for the entire plant to survive when its extremely hot out...

Plants look great!!! Keep up the good work dude...lets see you get a nice harvest!!