Béla Fleck & the Flecktones

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by J Dylan, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Who fucking LOVES listening to this band?

Honestly. some of the most chill, good sounding music around.
    iTunes classifies pretty much all their albums and songs as jazz music... and I can understand why... but I think they're more jam band-esque.

If you haven't heard them DEFINITELY check them out.
    if you're high and like music, you will probably like fleck and the tones.

songs i'd recommend for those who haven't heard this band:
    Sinister Minister
    Costa Brava
    Labyrinth
    Sleeper

SO FUCKING GOOD! Eargasm!:smoking:

2. They're okay...I have some of their albums and occasionally listen to them. I saw the Flecktones live once, and wasn't too moved. Seems like a cop-out for authentic jazz and bluegrass....I'd rather listen to the real thing.

3. eh, I see where you're coming from. I still stand by what i said before though-- they've got a great sound and a great band. I love some of their music and some not so much. They definitely don't branch out too much in their stuff though-- everything's pretty uniform and there isn't much experimentation in their music... but it doesn't change the fact that they sound awesome and are a great band.

4. I love the Flecktones, saw them last summer with a few buddies, was a damn good show. Wooten is a fuckin beast

5. There ok. I seem to remember hearing them redo the Mario Theme... or am i thinking of something else?

6. There not bad. Some tunes are super boring. Vix is great on his Bass.

7. i agree with that statement...
    but Vix still aint got nothin on Michael "Flea" Balzary:smoking:

8. I don't know, I bet if Vic Wooten and Flea were to have a "bass off" it would be pretty even. Don't get me wrong I love Flea, but have you ever seen Vic do one of his solos? That shit is so fast and insane. I've seen Bela Fleck and the Flecktones play twice... once at a concert hall and once at a music festival, both performances were insane.

9. i was into bela fleck back in the 90s... now i cant realy deal with the quck decay of banjo notes.... they were cutting edge for a few months back then....i bet victor wooten could mimic fleas bass style but i doubt that flea could pull of playing like wooten....one of the best bass player ive heard is a looping bassist named steve lawson from england... but as a guitar-looper myself i am biased towards conventional musicians...for those of you that have no idea what "looping " is...its basicaly using a delay pedal to play over top of yourself creating layers and layers of sound.... what keller williams does. www.loopersdelight.com

10. Glad to see there's another Keller fan here.... yeah looping is amazing, I'm thinking about getting a loop station pretty soon.

11. actually i probably shouldn't have made that statement about the comparison between vix and flea. I know a whole lot more about flea and his capability than i do about vix.

I love what vix does with his bass in recorded tracks, but i really haven't checked out anything beyond that.

I withdraw that statement :smoke:

Flea's grown into a very versatile bassist though-- he wasn't always that way.

as far as speed goes, I'd be surprised if any bassist could match flea. He's capable of some really quick, really hard licks. But once again, knowing very little about Vix in retrospect, i could still be wrong even with this statement :D

12. OK, Keller Williams: Yuck. Hire another musician already.

Victor Wooten: Arguably the best bass player ever. Check youTube.

I've seen Bela Fleck & the Flectones many times. Sometimes they sing, and that bites.

They're playing for free at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in Golden Gate Park in October. Check it out.

13. dont get me wrong flea is a beast on bass...but i can play flea bass and i rarley pick up a bass ..its just a realy common style...not that there is anything wrong with that...mad props to flea, he pioneered the style and is still pretty much unique...but a lot of peaple can play like flea ...i feel like im gettin a bit oximoronic...

dont think i dont love the peppers,i just tend to over-analize music.:D

14. hell yea the rc 50 looks like a cool tool for sure..is that what you mean by loop station? i mess around with a dl4 but im coming into some cash soon i hope and im gonna get a looperlative x repeater x rc 50 x EDP and a few little rc2s and use about 12 amps in a circle as i play on the streets of the world for about a year or two...maybe...

15. Yeah the RC-50 is pretty incredible, wish I could afford a Gibson Echoplex like Keller uses. I haven't had a lot of experience with looping so I'll probably just get a little RC-20XL to start out with and see how that goes.

16. somehow i don't think you've checked out flea's difficult bass work to make a statement like this one:

17. sorry, wooten owns flea. no question about it.

18. lol i'll have to look more into viktor wooten.

flea's a pretty crazy bassist... i hope that those of you who are contradicting my claim about flea aren't being fucking dumbasses and disregarding the fact that maybe you know a lot more about wooten than flea, and haven't seen what flea is really capable of.