Azureblue's 2nd Grow: NL#5, All CFL, Stealth, Custom Cabinet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Azureblue, Mar 21, 2009.

1. #1 Azureblue, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    Well, what can I say. I have found growing to be as addictive as any drug I have ever indulged :eek:

After my previous grow, I decided to take a four month break to recouperate from the stresses of growing MJ in a house where people are not aware you are doing so. I would not recommend doing this to anyone! Do as I say, not as I do :D

In that time I found myself reminiscing about the different stages of my grow. Each day it was such a joy to see how she was progressing. My only plant, a beautiful girl, always knew how to keep it interesting.

For my last grow I grew a strain from bagseed. I was very happy with the decision! It was cost effective, especially since I was still learning, and I ended up with some extremely powerful bud. I still have about 60% of it left! Between potency and the use of a vaporizer it takes just a pinch to get extremely blazed :smoking:

I decided to order up some royalty this time. I was conflicted on this point, but since I have already invested in equipment and my second grow won't cost much at all, I thought I could afford to spring for some quality seeds. I ordered 10 Northern Lights #5 seeds from The Attitude. I am very happy with the quality of the seeds I received :). I had some difficulty with germination, though the fault was entirely my own. I learned a lot, and I have a solid germination method now. I have germinated two seeds, and I have two left, which I feel confident will grow into sprouts.

On a side note, the seeds came with 5 free Power Skunk seeds. I am hesitant to germinate them at this time, however. If you followed my last grow, you will remember the odor drama's and trama's I went through! "Power Skunk" doesn't sound like the stealthiest strain one could choose.

The reason I chose Northern Lights #5 is because:

1. It is known to be a low odor strain (important for an indoor stealth grow!)
    2. It is Indica dominant, which I prefer
    3. It has a great reputation and following

I am using the same cabinet, CFL's, and grow setup from my previous grow. I had to get it all set up because I had disassembled it after the last grow. It's back in business and working at full capacity again :). I have a little surprise planned regarding my grow space for later in the grow. We'll see how that goes...

Today is day 4 of life, which I count from when the sprouts broke ground. Let me say that I didn't expect these seeds to take, and I waited about a day longer to check on them then I should have, unfortunately. When I got to them, one was stretching pretty bad, and it's a little behind the other because of that. They are healthy, however. They are doing quite well!

I took some pictures last night when I repotted the sprouts. I hope you enjoy them :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by my grow journal :D

2. Subscribed, Nice start. ;)

3. Looking forward to this one after catching some of the first round

4. Good luck man....welcome back.....+ rep for your return

5. Nice! Welcome back... Your thread was one that definitely inspired me to give it a shot... Let's see some shots of that new cab :smoking:

6. Azureblue....good to see you back. You don't know me but just wanted to let you know that it was your first grow journal that inspired me to go ahead and get started growing again. I had grown once about 3 years back and did not do very well...made a ton of mistakes and had some very unhappy plants.

Anyway....in Nov. of 2008 I stumbled across this site and happened to see your grow journal and saw your results with some CFL's and it totally opened my eyes....before I saw that I did not even know you could grow with CFL's as I used a HPS before. I started with CFL's exactly like you used but have since upgraded to a 400 watt MH / HPS and am now on week 9 of flower with four 5 foot + plants almost ready to harvest. So thanks to you I have probably 4-6 ounces at least of really nice looking bud coming to harvest and I have already started the veg. on my second grow and will be moving them into my flower cabinet once I harvest.

Just wanted to let you know you.....I am glad you posted your original journal and I am subscribing to this one. Good luck.

7. read all of your first grow, amazing how well you did with cfl's.. im excited to see how this one turns out. i just started germinating an Arjan Strawberry Haze seed. i hope mine turns out as good as your last.. i subscribed and cant wait to see how everything goes good luck dude

8. Man, there's something in the air. I'm back at it too with various bagseed. 6 sprouts. Will you be using LST again?

I'm tuned in!

9. Awesome! Thanks for following my grow journal :D

Thank you!

I just couldn't stay away...I'm a glutton for punishment :laughing:

So glad to hear that! I am still amazed that my first grow journal inspired several GC'ers. I came into growing so suddenly and stumbled my way through the first couple of months :p

I am actually using the same cabinet from my last grow at this time. I had to reassemble portions of my cabinet for this grow because I had taken it all apart at the end of my first grow in case a family member stumbled upon it unexpectedly and started asking questions. For the last four months I could have passed it off as a storage cabinet without raising any eyebrows ;). I am, however, planning on switching that up and trying something new here soon, hopefully during this grow. I need to stockpile some funds first though...

WOW!! I am smiling ear to ear to hear that my first grow journal made such a big difference in your life. Inspiring others, especially to the extreme in a case such as yours, is a very humbling experience for me. I never expected that to happen when I first started. I sort of fell into growing as it was.

I saw the potential in CFL's when I first stumbled onto Kamel's CFL Guide. I just had to give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they met all of my requirements including: low investment cost, wide availability, very low maintenance and electricity cost, and very little heat generation. I considered HPS for my second grow, but I thought, why meddle with what worked out so well for me the first time?

Congratulations on your first grow!! You are in the most exciting portion of growing, my very favorite, late flowering :D. That is some serious bud production!!

If you haven't gone through harvest before, the best advice I can give you is take your time reading up in detail on the process of drying, curing, and storing after your harvest. These steps are at least as important as the last several months of growing. Take your time and be very patient; it will be worth it!

Oh and...smoke some of that shit up for me if you would :D

Thanks so much for stopping by my grow journal and for your kind comments regarding my first grow. Take care!

Thanks very much! Good luck with the beginning of your grow! You should start a grow journal here; it's a great motivator! Is this your first? If it is, I must warn you, it is quite addictive :D

You'll be having too much fun to care though :p

BAGSEED FTW!!

:D

That's great man! I haven't been around much, but if you have a grow journal going for your sprouts or plan to put one together, I'll definitely be subscribing!

I will definitely be using LST again. It served me well in my last grow. I am going to need it more then ever! I will have a maximum of four plants, depending on how many females (if any :() I end up with after I start flowering! I am almost hoping some of them turn out to be males because I am working with the same amount of space I had last time for one plant. I have some great new ideas which should allow me to accommodate all four if it comes down to it.

Take it easy :cool:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I always appreciate them! I'll be posting regular picture updates every four days or so. Stay tuned :D

10. congrats on starting your second grow man!!! I just started my second about a week ago, I decided to go with a hydroponic setup this time, (first grow was organic/soil/auto blueberry) I am doing the Power skunk that you were hesitant to try, ak-47, dinafem critical (aka critical mass), big bang and white rhino. however the big bang and white rhino are germinating now, so they will be a week behind. in any case, good luck with your grow....... i'm subscribed and will definitely keep up!

11. Thanks man!! I'll definitely check out your grow, it sounds like you have a lot coming up :D

I'll be particularly interested to hear about how odorous your Power Skunk turns out to be and what kind of smoke report you give it in the end. Good luck to you and thanks for stopping by my 2nd grow :hello:

12. Got room for another subscriber? :) Glad you're back.

I'm with you on the stealth grow stress and having to keep your grow hidden. I had a guest that didn't know about my grow last year and the big vein in my head nearly popped with stress from worrying about it! :rolleyes:

Good Luck with the grow, I'm looking forward to tagging along. :smoking:

13. Hell ya this will be interesting...learned a lot from your 1st grow! +rep

14. I don't know how you do it without your wife knowing.....that is a huge feat. Nobody knows about my grow except for my wife but there is just no way that I could have kept it from her.

Sucks you can't tell her. Post some more pics.....looking forward to seeing your progress. I was too paranoid to post a journal for my first grow that is coming to completion here but I will post a journal for my second grow. THey are already a couple of weeks into veg. and as soon as I can move them into my closet after harvest I will start the journal.....on my first grow I did no training and got four 5 plus footers.....so I am going to be growing out another four plants but trying SCROG on 2 and trying out LST on the other 2 so should be an interesting grow for me anyway.

Good luck....hope you keep the journal updated.

15. #15 Azureblue, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009

So glad to hear that you enjoyed my first grow! I found it to be a very enlightening experience :smoking:

Thanks for keeping up with me :wave:

Hell yes, always room for one more :D

Freedom - I have really enjoyed your two previous grow journals and your current "continuous grow." Thanks so much for stopping by, it's an honor :cool:

It can be quite stressful at times! I had not only my wife, but her parents, and her grandparents, within 5 feet of my growbox one Saturday afternoon :eek:

I am glad that I took the four month break. It gave me a chance to de-stress before I dove back in for round 2.

Thanks again for stopping by :D

I know, I know :(. My wife is cool in a number of ways, but I know she would never accept this. I have thought about sharing it with her on a number of occasions, but I believe it would only lead to her "robocopping" me to make sure I never grew again. That would be really horrible :cry:

It has been an interesting challenge to overcome. Thankfully I have a big basement, a portion of which she never ventures into. As long as I can keep the smell under control it is relatively safe.

I have some new plans in the works that will up my level of stealth dramatically (if I can pull it off). I am trying to gather some funds to bring it all together, but it will be a few months I imagine.

I will be taking pictures tonight and posting them tomorrow morning. I try to space the pictures out a little bit, otherwise the growth is unnoticeable. Both plants are doing well and staying healthy. One in particular is "taking off" in growth, while the other is moving quite slowly, but remains happy and healthy. I find myself wondering if the "fast grower" will turn out to be male and the "slow and steady grower" will be female. I would be okay with just one female, that's the direction my last grow took and it turned out wonderfully.

It sounds like you had some great luck with your first grow :D. I would definitely recommend using LST techniques to control the height of your plant. It is also a great way to position the branches in the most optimal way for your lighting (especially if you are using CFL's for sidelighting). I will be LST'ing heavily in this grow.

I have been attempting to germinate my last two NL #5 seeds. If I don't see sprouts tonight then it looks like I will have to continue forward with the two that I have succesfully germinated. If we get sprouts tonight, however, then we could have another two plants joining the fun :D

Thanks everyone for stopping by! Picture updates tomorrow!! :smoking:

16. cant wait to see some pics.. excellent

17. Just curious...what breeder is the NL#5 from?

thanks.

18. Breeder is "Seedsman." I ordered through The Attitude. They weren't too expensive, under $40 for 10 seeds, plus I got 6 (was only supposed to be 5) free G13 Power Skunk seeds. I haven't messed with those yet, but we'll see :D

19. Alrighty, as promised, picture update time :cool:

Today is day 11 of life. Both plants are doing very well with no issues as of yet. Since I have two plants this time, I decided to name them in an effort to stay organized and track their progress properly.

First, my runt, Emma:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and, meet Michelle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and both girls (?) in the cabinet:

[​IMG]

So far so good! It is a waiting game at this point. I find flowering much more entertaining of course :D

Still, lots of good growth, growth I can see, happening over the last week or so. I am still attempting to germinate my 2 remaining NL #5 seeds. I should know in a day or two if I've had any success in that endavor.

Thanks for stopping by :hello:

20. Looking good Bruh. How often are you peeking at them during the week?

Sounds like you'll have a spring garden if you germ those NLs.