Azadirachtin and Neem oil alternative

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Smokeman69, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Alternative to Neem oil and azadirachtin products
    Hey guys, this is my first post on here and I'm typing it from my phone so bear with me if there are typos. I am looking for alternative pesticides that do not include Neem oil and azadirachtin products. The reason being is that I have recently been diagnosed with cannabis hyperemesis syndrome. For those of you who don't know, it's a syndrome characterized by vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, fatigue, and the need to take hot showers for relief. The only known cure is to quit smoking. I have not been smoking for very long, about a year and a half now, however, I do smoke more than almost anyone I know. I have an unlimited access to high quality buds and concentrates and I just like to live life high as f**k. I'm a college student and i maintain a 3.5 gpa, good social life and I work out almost everyday. I'm 5'10 and when I am in good health I weigh around 175. The last 3 months however, I have lost 20 lbs and cannot for the life of me gain it back. Until I was diagnosed with chs that is. Now that I have quit smoking I'm starting to gain my weight and appetite back. Anyway, all my info aside, what I have realized is that when I first started smoking, I was getting really high quality outdoor buds grown by a good friend of mine and I never had problems. The last 3 months I have been buying from dispensaries and I have been suffering for it. I talked to my grower buddy and I have done some online research and I believe Azadirachtin to be the culprit. Azadirachtin poisoning and chs have the EXACT same symptoms and azadirachtin is used by almost every single "organic" grower out there. I am not 100% sure it is azadirachtin but I will do anything to try to be able to smoke again. Recently my grower has started an indoor grow and he uses aza products and his buds make me just as sick as dispo stuff. We have talked about it and he is willing to go aza free on his entire grow as long as he has an alternative that is realativly close in price and works as well as aza products against spider mites and powdery mildew. What are your alls recommendations? Im not trying to be rude but if you tell me I just need to quit smoking and give up I'm not even going to respond to you because there is a huge amount of evidence pointing toward aza poisoning. What can my grower friend spray on his plants during veg to avoid these problems throughout veg and flowering? Sorry about the book but I'm desperate and I want everyone to understand that I believe aza poisoning is a huge deal and if we can prove that it is the cause maybe 1000s of smokers suffering the same fate as me can finally toke up again. Thanks guys

2. There's essential oils you can use. Rosemary, lavender and peppermint. All of those are used as the active ingredient in organic fungicides and pesticides so it works for both.

1 mL per gallon each for prevention. 2-3 if they're in there. It's fairly delicate on flowers too. What I like to do is use dr bronner soap in equal proportions to the EO I used. 1 ml oil = 1 ml soap. I think it works best compared to alternative emulsifiers I've used.

I say try it and see. Can't hurt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pesticides like spinosad collect in plant resin and I think I read azadirachtin does too.

Do you have allergies to peanuts or nuts in general?

4. I don't have any nut allergies, however I am allergic to penicillin. How would the essential oils compare in price to Neem oil and aza products because that is my growers biggest concern. He grows on a small level and is interested in keeping costs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Cost is much cheaper. Liberty Naturals has essential oil in bulk. 4 oz of each Rosemary, spike lavender, and peppermint.

Does anyone know off hand the specific variety of Rosemary and peppermint? I don't have those bottle anymore. :( I might be able to dig them up.

6. #8 missinglighter, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2016
    ROSEMARY CAMPHOR TYPE SPAIN ESSENTIAL OIL - rosmarinus officinalis - Bulk Wholesale Price List

SPIKE LAVENDER SPAIN ESSENTIAL OIL - lavandula latifolia - Bulk Wholesale Price List

PEPPERMINT NATURAL YAKIMA USA ESSENTIAL OIL - mentha piperita - Bulk Wholesale Price List

You'll need to buy $50 worth or they charge an extra fee on top of shipping which is affordable. 1-3 mL per gallon of each then Dr Bronner soap is inexpensive. I buy peppermint but it doesn't matter as the smell isn't effective like actual peppermint oil is. So it's not a substitute. Breaks down to pennies per gallon. He will save money and his room will smell good too. Does he have mites already?

To emulsify and mix the recipe I gave you in my first post, you add the oil and soap together in a cup that you can stick your finger to the bottom and swirl it together till its milky and gooey. Then I add some water to that and mix as well as I can. Then I start filling my tank sprayer. He probably knows this unless he uses azamax which is pre-emulsified. Do a test patch first to see if it was emulsified right or too strong. He needs to mix fresh each time. It degrades when in water so this is why I feel essential oil pesticides are better when you make yourself because store products sit forever and are not fresh. 2 weeks and it's not effective.

• Like Like x 3
  7. No he has never had mites. He sprays during veg for preventative measures and has never had to spray during flowering from what he has told me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you so much for all the help missinglighter!

• Like Like x 2
  9. You're welcome! Show him the thread so he can read it to avoid miscommunication.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Azadirachtin has and extremely short half life, especially when exposed to UV rays...

I highly doubt that this is the issue...

• Like Like x 2
  11. 45 days is what I've read. Could be shorter if it's exposed to uv rays but the aza stored inside the plant wouldn't be exposed. If you have an article to share backing up your claim I would love to read it but otherwise your kinda just saying stuff. No offense

12. Cool beans bro. I'm about to step out for the evening. I actually spent a bit of time looking into Az' toxicology in mammals yesterday. Didn't save anything, but will easy enough to find those studies again (Google Scholar). TBO, I really didn't consider the effects of stored Az' in plant tissue... :blink:

So what do you have, or are you kinda just saying stuff? ;)

13. Well if I'm honest. I've searched everywhere trying to find info on aza levels stored in plant tissue and toxicology reports on smoking even small quantities but there is nothing. I truly do believe there is a link in aza and cannabis hyperemsis because people have claimed success in curing their chs by removing all aza from their grow.

14. Where's Coot when ya need him.

J

• Like Like x 1
  15. So the entire point of this thread is honestly to find a cure to chs. I've read there wasn't a cure other than quitting but I just stumbled upon an article that might be the cure.

16. Perhaps even more so since CHS is a hybrid of CVS (chronic vomiting syndrome) which has been a clinical diagnosis for awhile (1882)

@Smokeman69 perhaps I misjudged you early on and you have this condition CHS/CVS. If so, my bad and my apologies. Just curious if you suffer from migraines? CVS has a IDC code, is a recognized disorder, and is somewhat treatable(?).

But how about this opposed to azadirichtin poisoning; you have a CVS condition, you ALSO smoke cannabis, and you smoke cannabis that may or may NOT be treated with neem. IOW, chasing the CHS diagnosis (a "new virus" so-to-speak) is leading you astray and perhaps looking at another potential root cause of your vomiting syndrome is in order.

IDK, I'm not a doctor. Just a fortunate stoner in that I don't suffer any ill effects from cannabis use...except for occasional flare ups of some type of undiagnosed psychosis...

• Like Like x 2