Awareness and the intellect

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YEM, Jan 7, 2014.

1. So I'm starting this thread out of complete spontaneity, but also with some background.

Yesterday I understood that total randomness cannot be comprehended by the intellect, which drew me into this state of consciousness of being extremely perceptive of everything without the intellect, and seeing it all for its infinite madness. In our minds, we are constantly trying to make sense, make order out of occurrences that happen in our lives. We are piecing together the jig-saw's of a puzzle, but usually to no great success and at most to some relative truth we keep to ourselves. 

I had an experience a couple nights ago when i smoked and drank myself into a hole, and as I laid there while my friends were falling into their dreams, my mind literally just gave out and didn't want to work anymore. However, behind my mind coming to a complete blank, as if there was no more energy diverted towards that life form, I felt a great relief. I felt free, and I felt like I was finally me. There was something completely engrossing of my newly found awareness of my intellect. My intellect is in a constant battle, trying it's best to be all that it can be. Yet, there isn't much that comes out of it, it ponders itself into meaningless circles of thought, never feeling free. And here I was, finally understanding that perhaps my inclination of attention to my mind was misdirected. And maybe there was something that I could understand about the fundamental nature of my mind that would set it free.

It's too bad we are too usually burdened by the weight of our minds, and the unusual discomfort in our skin. Maybe we get sucked too deeply into the sporadic maddened schemes of habit and mind. And maybe it's too difficult at times to get out of our heads, and be able to see a better perspective. For I know, there are god-like perspectives to hold, perspectives that lead our consciousness to total peace and ease. Perspectives that perhaps aren't too difficult to attain, and perspectives that no longer limit our own minds. 

We are defined by the choices we make in our lives, and in a day we make so many. And it appears that the intellect's purpose has been mostly shaped to be responsible in maintaining a conventional relationship to our society. There's a 'me' that hangs out with friends and a 'me' that tries to escape reality through sources of entertainment, and then there's a 'me' that is comfortable being alone and thinking deeply of things, and then behind all these 'me's there's just my awareness and memory of how everything has been. Reality is so continual, that if I had to define myself to be, it'd have to be something outside of all the 'changes' that occur in reality. My awareness remains unwavering, and unchanging in time, so perhaps that's what I'd identify as.

And yet, how distinct is my awareness from someone else's? How different is my awareness from reality itself, and what could my awareness possibly never be aware of? 

Awareness does not believe, it doesn't make judgements. It is constant, and exists with full residence in reality. Awareness is reality. And our intellect's habits only incessantly continues to try to limit our experience from expanding, and our awareness growing.

But let not, we're as free as we'll ever be fooling ourselves we're not

2. I often feel it is the mind and its need to know that gets in the way of actually knowing. Life for me is all about finding and being the true self. Not about cramming in more and more facts (which may or may not be true, certainly one of perspective), and attempting to regurgitate them on command. It is about connecting with the present, true, real, that sometimes only comes into view when we wipe it away through the taking of certain substances.

Perhaps we're not meant to see it all from here no matter how hard we look. Just recognising that helps. I used to want to know things and make sure other people knew I knew them so as to seem knowledgeable. It's all a sham really. This ego is only a construct. It could just as easily be another. But what lies behind it though, now that could only be what it is.

3. Imo, if you think something is random youre just missing some variables.

If you could know ALL of the universes inputs at any given time, you could accurately predict the future.

not necessarily because if you knew every thing that could ever exist, it would be hard to tell what order they went in...Ive seen "gods mind" or whatever on unmentionables and knew everything but coudnt really sort it out

5. What do you mean order? At any given point the smallest pieces of matter are aligned in a certain position. To know that position, and how the matter reacts with other matter would be to know all.

Not to downplay your trip, but i dont think the human mind has the raw computational power to handle the sheer amount of information that would entail....or even anywhere close.

yea my physical mind couldnt handle it because when i came back (astral projection) I couldnt remember the actual facts just the experience..sorry i was commenting with the thought that all events that could happen already have..you're talking about knowing all possibilities in this single timeline to predict the future

the photograph is in my hand. it is the photograph of a man and a woman. they are at an amusement park, in 1959. in twelve seconds time, i drop the photograph to the sand at my feet, walking away. its already lying there, twelve seconds into the future. ten seconds now. the photograph is in my hand.

[​IMG]