Aw snap, Weed and Testicular Cancer

Discussion in 'General' started by Spliffin Bowls, Feb 12, 2009.

1. http://blogs.usatoday.com/betterlife/2009/02/testicular-canc.html

Marijuana use could increase the risk of testicular cancer, according to a study by the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center out this week.

If a man has smoked marijuana on a weekly basis or has been exposed to hashish for an extended period of time, the chances of testicular cancer double compared to someone who has never smoked marijuana.

The study found that marijuana could also decrease sperm quality, decrease testosterone levels and cause impotency, since these are similar side effects of testicular cancer.

Men already produce a "cannabinoid-like chemical," which protects the reproductive system from cancer, but marijuana use could reverse that protective chemical and instead work against the body. The marijuana link is somehow associated with "nonseminoma," malignant germ cell tumors, and is increasing the risk.

The study has prompted more research as it has open up a bevy of questions, said Stephen Schwartz, a member of the Public Health Sciences Division at the Hutchinson Center.

"What young men should know is that first, we know very little about the long-term health consequences of marijuana smoking, especially heavy marijuana smoking," Schwartz said in a press release. "So, in the absence of more certain information, a decision to smoke marijuana recreationally means that one is taking a chance on one's future health."

The National Cancer Institute estimates almost 8,100 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer, and 380 will die because of it in 2008.

Patients, survivors, caregivers and loved ones are invited to share their advice, questions and experiences in our Living with Cancer Forum. Last week, readers entered more than 1,000 votes here sharing views on marijuana legalization as medical marijuana cases and Michael Phelps put it in the headlines.

2. I think it's BS.

3. Use the search button, dude. There are quite a few threads about this already.

4. Yea so does everyone else. Been posted alot

5. Thanks for a duplicate thread of the one i saw
    Tuesday, search instead of rep hunting.

6. already posted but fuck that noise. all it is is propaganda. basically just a scare tactic trying to tell us if we smoke are balls will fall off. just my two cents

7. I don't think it's propaganda, I just don't give a fuck :bongin:

8. aw snap, 9000th post on this subject...

awwww snap

9. I call first snap after phelpy!

10. This type of cancer is extremely rare. Two times almost nothing is still almost nothing.