Avocado Tree

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by StixZadinia, Dec 18, 2012.

1. So my folks have a 15-20ft that produces avocados, but not very good ones. I live in Los Angeles, so they also have a bit of a squirrel issue with non harvested avocados. What would be a good way to help this amazing tree produce the amazing guacamole she's capable of?

2. I have an indoor avocado tree don't know too much about them. I started it with a patient at work, when she passed away i took it home. Fun to watch them grow. Sorry I couldn't answer your question. Im interested to see what responses come in.

3. The seed from an avocado doesn't share the same flavor as the parent. I grew up in SoCal around avocado orchards. Sometimes you can have the most delicious avocado, but sprout the seed from it and the offspring may be an ornamental with no flavor at all and have super small fruits.

You could also try adding rock dust, like azomite or Gaia green glacial rock dust. Trace minerals in the soil help the plant create more complex flavors, among other things. Hell, you can feed azomite to chickens to make their egg shells stronger.

4. right, not gonna produce true to seed, but theres always grafting:)

5. I love avocados! They do make a nice tree, even without fruiting.

You need either more avo trees to pollinate, or if it's a true plant, some protection from the beasts. Pantyhose over the young fruit work well. :)