Automatics make good Organic sinse

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Oct 29, 2017.

1. I'll definitely keep you in mind the next time I get some auto freebies. I usually plant them in random flower beds in the neighborhood just to keep people on their toes! Lol.
    RD

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. I put my freebies in pots and bring em to my 'cool' neighbors in the spring. Keep the rain off on a porch and they grow quite well here, just takes a good long while.
    Speaking of random beds, I have two straggler autos growing in a tomato pot, no idea how they got there. Due to growing under the canopy they are quite dainty. I might stick em in little pots and see what happens. It would be an ugly dig-up and transplant for sure, the tom is in a 20 gal.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  3. OS your Crop Circle plant is amazing. Must take a little while to trim something like that! Man just one of those side branches is like the size of my whole plant! I'll be harvesting soon so will be curious to see my yield but obviously it won't be close to yours, just goes to show how effective all those extra bits and pieces you add are, What size container was that? Doesn't even look all that big.

4. Thanks for the kind words. That was a 10 gallon smart pot, inside a 10 gallon plastic pot with a couple inches of lava rock to wick (or sip), between the bottom of the plastic and the smarty.
    I’m working on final trimming and jarring up my ‘Cropical Fruit’ tonight. When I finish tomorrow night I will put up a full post, pics and all. This one is gonna be a big yielder. I’m going to do a little taste in just a second. I usually don’t sample without a month or 2 cure, but I’m super curious.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gonna harvest mine tomorrow, looking forward to sharing my first organic results (such as they are) with the thread. I sampled a bit last night as I accidentally ripped some popcorn off while trying to remove a dead leaf. Tasted pretty damn nasty but was a nice effect and not too strong as it's a medicinal strain. Got a very frosty white diesel haze as well, super excited to try that one.

I've been wondering about lighting lately. Obviously you can provide too little light for growing plants, but can you provide too much light to a grow space? I understand of course that you can burn or stress plants by having lights too close, but can you "waste" light by having too many lamps for the size of the space?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Please post all the results, pics, etc! The more the merrier!
    Until the chlorophyll dissipates the nasty is normal. What I samples was pretty nasty by my standards as well, I was just curious about effect. I feel that the terpenes don't express themselves fully until after a good long cure. The terpenes are where organics really shine.
    Experts say there is a point where you need to add CO2 indoors, after a certain amount of light density, or you are "wasting" light. I don't know that number off hand. The good news is, most of our living soils give off a good amount of CO2 on their own. Adding CO2 indoors, is where I draw the line. Its just to much hassle for what I do/ want to do. I am just a mere hobby grower, and don't do this for money.
    cheers
    os

7. I see, yep CO2 fuckery is too much for me also. I haven't even crossed the line into humidity control yet, never mind CO2. I don't feel like it's worth it for a few small plants. Very cool that the living soils are doing that anyway though, I hadn't really thought about that.
    I'll probably post some pics tomorrow then, just of the plants before harvest and then follow up after drying. I feel like I might be harvesting a little early but as they are sativa, I wanted to try harvesting before many amber trichomes turn up and there's already one or two, even after 60 days. Excited!

• Like Like x 1
  8. So the Cropical Fruit Auto from 'Cream of the Crop Seeds' has been harvested. This was the big girl in the greenhouse this summer. She had Sativa like leaves with more of an Indica structure. She smells fruity as hell. I let her go out to 115 days, but I could have taken her down a week earlier. With the GH grows I like to give them a little extra time so that the whole plant is finished. This one definitely met my goal of indoor quality!
    Here she is. Cropical Fruit Auto 115 days from seedling emergence.
    This girl actually yellowed some at the end. Here is a close up of a bud, nice and frosty!
    I went ahead and trimmed off the bigger fan leaves so that you folks can see whats going on under that canopy. There is a lot of plant there, holy cow. Check it out.
    After a week of drying and final trim she came out to a whopping 310 grams of tight awesome looking buds. For the most part the trimming was a breeze on this one. (Removing a ton of fans ahead of time for photo taking helped here for sure.) I can't wait until this one has cured for a while so I make out the individual aromas, but for now I will just say she is fruity as hell.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 310 :eek2: is that a record for you?

10. That's a record for the greenhouse, especially for 'indoor quality'. I think I beat that once in the GH with Blue Dream auto by HSO, but it was pretty larfy quality on at least half the plant.
    Last winter I pulled 13 plus oz inside on a plant. I would have to look back on this thread to tell ya which strain, it was for sure a Dinafem.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  11. Heya,

Just wanted to thank you, followed somewhat your growing style and it has repaid me!!! I just jarred 223 grams off a single blueberry auto!!! Though my grow did not lack drama as i had to flower outside my tent, had to cull 2 non-autos.... broke a couple of colas.... and at the end had more than a month to even look at the plants let alone care for them, i managed to have the most successful grow so far (3rd).

All in all i did circa 250-260 grams, as the critical 2.0 was stunted from the beginning... and i did not have reflective cover outside my tent so i pulled 40 grams off that.

I think i could have done much better, if as you i turned the pots... but i can't really do that with my hands.

As for the smoke... or rather vape... it's really good even without curing...
    Again thanks a lot i really appreciate your posts.

peace
    :vaping:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. If anyone is interested, I'd like to share the results from my first ever all organic grow.

Grow info:
    Typical no till soil mix. 1/1/1 mix with the usual amendmends, composted for about 6-8 weeks. Full of worms and woodlice.
    4 x 7gal fabric containers
    0.8x0.8x1.4 metre tent
    2 x "300W" Roleadro LED COB lights
    1 x White Diesel Haze Auto, 2 x OG Kush CBD Auto, 1 x Fantasmo Express
    Watered plain water, then after week 4 or so on to kelp + MBP alternated with an SST + MBP until red pistils
    LST with copper stakes and velcro tape
    Harvested after 60 days. Slightly early but they weren't getting any bigger at that point.

The yield on these were about 40g each, although the Fantasmo is still growing as it was planted a few weeks after the others. But it looks after 45 days like it'll do less than that.
    I'm a bit disappointed with the yield... I only grow for personal use so that's enough, but my non-organic grow yielded about the same so I had expected a bit more. I wasn't expecting the 310g of that incredible plant OS posted earlier... but still!

I was hoping you guys could help me troubleshoot the low harvest here.
    Those 4 plants are all in the same tent - they barely fit in there together. I mean the containers sit against each other and the sides of the tent. I imagine this must hurt the yield? They all grew to around 65cm tall, so there was plenty of room for them to grow taller BUT they couldn't have grown any wider as they were up against each other and the tent.
    I was seeing pistils after 2 weeks so I figure having less time to veg out must have affected the yield significantly. Every grow I've ever done has gone this way though, as I got unlucky with a heat wave. Humidity was around 35-45% and heat was hard to keep below 30C during planting/germination/vegging.
    Feeding wise, as mentioned, was teas of kelp + MBP alternated with SST (corn or alfalfa depending on what I could find) + MBP. Foliar then drench. This started around day 23 (well after seeing pistils). I was doing this every 5 days or so, never had any signs of over or underwatering. Used about 1 gallon per container and got lots of run off when watering however.
    LST started around day 15 and was pretty much the method OS has explained earlier in the thread.
    I don't think I see any issues with the watering/feeding/LST but obviously might be wrong.
    My LED lamps were pretty cheap Amazon things. I'm not really up on the best LED lights to get, I'm sure I could do better here.
    I think it's the cramped grow space and early pistil development that's really hurting my yield here, but it'd be a risk for me to have fewer plants. If it didn't improve the yield I'd have to do a 2nd grow which I wouldn't have time for. If anyone's got any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.

Some positive notes!
    No issues with pests whatsoever (apart from 1 seedling getting munched on after germination). I was amazed by this given how much time the soil spent outdoors, and how "unclean" it was. I've had much more issues with my non-organic grows.
    Plant health. My non organic grows have been constantly droopy, clawing, generally looking a bit unhealthy. These organic plants however were beautiful looking all the way through.
    The buds are curing at the mo and from what I've sampled they're pretty nice :) OG Kush CBD in particular is very nice. Waiting for the hay smell to drift off now.
    The Fantasmo which is still growing smells amazing, like tropical fruit juice. Can't wait to sample that.

Some pics for the interested

White Diesel Haze (this one got super bushy at the base)
    IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG

OG Kush Auto
    IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG

Anyways thanks for reading my long ass post!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hey JGrewbie!

I'm sure you will get a far better answer from a more seasoned person, but here's my 2 cents.

-With no till you want to keep the soil moist at all times with very little, preferably no runoff.

-When you LST you want to get that main cola below the other branches. This will cause the side branches to from new tops. You can train it to an even canopy so you do not have a huge cola sticking out the top of the canopy.

I must say, your plants do look healthy! Keep at it and more light would not hurt.

Good luck on the next round!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. The biggest thing for you now is going to be the environment.
    Your RH is way low for veg. I was kind of a denier on how much humidity makes a difference, until I bought a humidifier. When my humidity inside was at its lowest during the coldest months, I would always grow small plants that flowered real early. Check out a "Vapor pressure deficit", chart. These charts show the optimum RH for a given temp for veg. This will make a big difference.
    A crowded tent doesn't work real well, when using my LST style, as its meant to get the most of the side branches. You might be better off not doing any LST or growing fewer plants in that size tent.
    I also feel that a good oscillating fan to give the leaves a constant 'little' jostle really encourages great veg growth.
    All that said, Nice job! You are actually real close to what most breeders say their plants will do. Now that you have one good grow under your belt, maybe add a small "cool mist" or similar small humidifier, then next perhaps try some better light.
    Are all or some of your strains from 'Mephisto Genetics'? I am planning to run some of their gear shortly. I'm especially interested in the "Fantasmo Express". My only hold up, is finding the Mephisto strains I want, in single quantities. I have found some, but not all the ones I am wishing for. I just can't do 3 successful grows of any strain any more, I get sick of the strain before I can possible smoke it up. ( I'm not whining, its a great problem to have, I just like a lot of variety).
    keep up the good work!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thank you both for your input, really appreciate it! Lots of interesting points for me to think about for next year, looking forward to seeing what I can do next time.

Just the Fantasmo is from Mephisto. I actually could only find it in single quantity! I didn't buy from the US however. The Fantasmo Express isn't flowering super strong as I mentioned but I've no doubt you'd do better. Smells absolutely amazing!

• Like Like x 2
  16. I have been trying to spread out my harvest posts a bit. Here is the last one from the summer greenhouse season. This one is a 'Narcotherapy' auto from "Cream of the Crop Seeds". As with all the others I grew this summer she was slow and took a good long time. She went 117 days from seedling emergence. She was 40 plus inch tall plant. This is right before chop, its really hard to see what actually is going on due to so much leaf.
    This plant did fade a bit and had some pretty colors that just didn't come out in the pics. The frost didn't really show in the pics either, but oh boy is it there. All of these strains from COTC ended up really heavily coated in trichomes and super sticky.
    I trimmed off most of the fans so you can see what's really there.
    I admit it grew a little uneven and irregular, but she definitely grew!
    Check out the branches. The light is a little different in this one. You can really see the frost on these buds!
    After dry, trim, and cure this one came out to 250 grams. This stuff smells like it has a dozen or so really distinct smells. I will be real curious to how it develops after a month, and then two. Its been curing in jars for 2 and a half weeks and I just have to give it a sneak peak-taste test.
    Hope you guys liked the summer crop. I am giving "Cream of the Crop" seeds a thumbs up for their strains. This was the first time I tried them out. I have a few more COTC seeds that are part of my winter plan. I saved the stinkiest 2 strains for inside, didn't want to try em in the GH.
    cheers
    os

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hey Sinse,
    I was wondering if you could do me a favor and list your favorite auto strains for me?
    More specifically strains that finish under 100 days. I'm thinking about running them as full sunners and turning the entire crop into rosin. Thanks man!
    RD

18. Anything for you my friend! By full sunner, do you mean outside?
    Fast favs:
    White widow-Dinafem
    Critcal +2.0 -Dinafem
    Blue Critical-Dinafem
    Blue kush-Dinafem
    Grapefruit-Dinafem*this one tastes and smells awesome and is real strong. One of my all time favs.
    Wappa-Paradise seeds
    Whiteberry-Paradise seeds

These sativa dom mixes take 84-90 inside, longer outside or GH
    Blue Amnesia XXL-Dinafem
    Amnesia XXL-Dinafem
    Haze XXL-Dinafem
    Moby Dick XXL-Dinafem
    AutoMaria 2-Paradise seeds
    AutoAcid-Paradise seeds

All the stuff I ran from "Cream of the Crop Seeds" this summer was pretty slow, but so was everything that grew in the GH and outside. It was a very cold and cloudy summer this year. I haven't really had enough cure time to say for sure about any of them, but the "Narcotherapy" I just tried last night, and again tonight, and its some strong stuff. I'm quite impressed for a 17 day cure.
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Thanks man!
    Yep, I meant straight up outside. June could be a tough month as far as rainy and cloudy is concerned. July and August would be nothing but sun aside from an occasional thunderstorm... hopefully no hail! Starts getting cool in September possibly wet and frost by the 2nd or 3rd week.
    I know autos hate being transplanted but with that in mind I wonder if you have ever used CowPots? They are 6 or 8" pots made of cow manure that can easily be slit a few times with a knife and then placed into a larger pot. Speaking of which what size container do you use in the GH?
    Sure appreciate the help as I think about attempting this!
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  20. I currently run 10 gals. I have run square 5's and round sevens with great success as well. Square 5's were the fastest turnaround.
    One of the factors with autos, is the pot size influences to some extent, when they stop vegging and start flowering. In other words, when the roots start to 'feel' the pot size, they will transition to flower. This is a topic I want to talk about at some point in time. I feel that pots toward the smaller size, are important to get a fast crop that will finish, especially if you have a deadline.
    The gang at "Mephisto Genetics", use organic soil, and share their tech with the masses. They like to start in 1 or 3 liter pots, then xplant to 12-16 liter pots. They have a great write up at their website under faq/growguide.
    link https://www.mephistogenetics.com/growguide
    Its a great read, just the info you are looking for. I like the fact that they explain exactly how they get, what they get, with their seeds. I also like that they use a similar organic approach. I seldom see stuff about growings autos organically. (Which is why I started this thread :) ).
    I haven't tried or seen the cow pots, but seems like a slick way to transplant.
    A plan that could incorporate a row cover or low tunnel in case ma nature turns on ya, might be worth thinking about.
    I am very excited to see the Ranch do an auto project. You always go big on everything.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1