Automatics make good Organic sinse

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Hang in there man. Sometimes they can really surprise you. I had just about given up and called it quits on my summer crop a while back. I stuck it out, and it should be pretty good.
    You know what the good fisherman say, "Stick and stay, and make it pay"!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hey all, hope everyone's little babies are doing well. Just wanted to pop in to get your take on one of mine:
    IMG_1382.JPG
    This poor little dude is actually 3 weeks old. It was blown over by a fan (my bad obviously, since turned off/redirected) after about 4-5 days, and didn't start to grow at all until this last week. You can just about make out the cotyledons which have gone brown and shrivelled up. The new growth is not exactly the healthiest looking I've ever seen. Its buddies are doing well. Do you guys have any thoughts if this is worth perservering with? The heatwave we're having (has not helped matters at all) passes monday so I was thinking of giving until then, and then planting a new seed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. As you noted, she doesn't look very strong or perky, not to mention she's about 2 weeks behind. If I were you, I would chop her at the base and plant a new seed tonight. I would think the heatwave would speed up germination.

Do you have any shots of the healthy ones? I'd love to see how the rest of your garden is doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah I've been thinking it's probably time to give up on it. The heat wave has been giving me a hard time keeping the temperature below 30 at times, 32 at others. I had planted some spares in the same pot as the little guy but they didn't make it either, I believe it was cos of the heat. So it's passing tomorrow, I think tonight I'll plant a new one.

This guy is 17 days now, I've started some LST using OS' method with wire hooks/stakes. White Diesel Haze Auto. No issues with this one at any point, I'm quite happy with it.
    IMG_1383.JPG
    17 days too, it's a OG Kush Auto CBD. Didn't grow for a while but seems ok now.
    IMG_1385.JPG
    This one is 13 days, OG Kush Auto CBD.
    IMG_1384.JPG
    I think it might be time to start putting some of that straw over and sprinkling my clover seeds in?

Thanks for your help as always my friend

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lookin good fellas! Keep them little suckers growing!
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  6. Those girls look great! Clean pots and fresh straw, Martha Stewart would be proud ;).
    I like how the straw looks where it is, but you could move it in if you want. And I would still wait at least a few days before throwing down the clover. When they get over 6" you should be good. When you do, be very light handed. The seeds are tiny and it is easy to overdo it. You can always plant more when you are comfortable with how it grows in your setup, but once it gets established, it grows insanely fast and dense, even if you cut it down to the soil it will be back in 2 or 3 days like nothing happened. I actually recommend individually planting the seeds, 2-3 per hole, 3-4 holes per container, to start.
    toaster

• Like Like x 3
  7. Haha, thanks man! Chopped the little guy and put in a new seed on sunday :( hate doing that, but there you go. I tried! I'll give it a few days on the clover then, I was thinking of just sprinkling it through the straw (sparingly) and then maybe watering it in. Would you recommend individual holes in the soil over this approach?

8. Sprinkling will work, yes. But you will end up planting way more than you realize. You will also be able to inoculate the seeds better if you plant them in holes along with rhizobium nodules.

The main thing I want to stress is you want to be in a position that if it gets out of control, you can cut it back easily, and not be constantly fighting with it all season. I know a in a lot of pictures it looks really nice with all those little seedlings popping up in a green carpet. But if it grows too big, too fast, it will compete for water and light, and will quickly become a weed instead of a helper. If that happens are you gonna want to deal with dozens of plants, or just a few? You already have your soil covered with the straw mulch, you don't need it completely covered with clover, too. I could of course be totally wrong. Your girls might grow really fast and literally overshadow the clover no matter how much you plant, but that's not a risk I would take until I had a good idea of what to expect, which was a problem I faced in my last grow.

This all grew from about 3 seeds. I didn't plant it, it was in my straw mulch. It's over a foot tall and just beginning to flower.
    IMG_20180717_192222.jpg
    I trimmed this one down to about 2 inches last week, and it's already back. How many of these could possibly fit in there? Also you can see my sad shallots and some remnants of last year's crop, I think it was a broccoli :(.
    IMG_20180717_192323.jpg

hth,
    toaster

• Like Like x 1
  9. Although I am not a fan of cover crops in the same container as canna, when I used to do this, I would sprinkle a few clover seeds in a large circle toward the outside of the container giving the seedling lots of room. I would always pre-inoculate the seeds with VAM and N fixing bacteria (for peas and beans).
    In my opinion, the cover crop is more hassle than its worth, unless you are using very large containers or raised beds. It definitely is worth using, if you have containers that are taking some time off, and want to keep the ball bouncing.
    The thing that I used to like about a ring of clover, was the fact that it helps new growers not over water new seedlings. The clover helps by using lots of water. It also is a good gauge of when to rewater, as the clover is easy to observe the 'wilt' or 'sag' as the container begins to dry out.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thanks guys. Wow, can't believe all that was from only a few seeds. I don't have anything at this point to innoculate them with but I do like the rewatering gauge it can provide, so will go very light with the seeds I do use.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I don't mean to contradict you OS, but I think it's worth mentioning that N fixing bacteria tend to be picky about what plants they form relationships with. Strains that hook up with pea and bean tend to be different than those that go with clovers, although you can find multi-purpose mixes. Johnny's is one place to get them. Not sure where to find in the UK, but I would try looking for the manufacturer Verdesian on google, or see if they have a distributor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I agree they are extremely specific about what azo bacteria they bond with. The mix of vam and pea/ bean inoculant is a blind "Hail Mary pass", I have always felt it doesn't hurt to use it. I always have the pea/ bean inoculant for growing said veggies anyway. The wonderful thing about clover, it fixes N without the bacterial relationship. I believe you have to kill the clover, however, to take advantage of the N fixed within its roots. I am a big fan of clover. I throw around a ton of clover seed at home. The best way to prep an area for future gardening, or just to keep the lawn healthy.
    I feel with the cover crops, that getting the mycorrizae up and running via VAM mix (or whatever brand you like) is the real bonus.
    I used to think that the germinating cover crop seeds also contributed a useful amount of enzymes to the soil. While this may be true, I think a touch of mbp does this more efficiently.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I have a Tutsi basil growing with clover as a cover crop. The pot was dry this morning and all the clover was drooping. Notice how flat the clover is on top, and how shriveled the leaves appear. I watered a quart and a few hours later you can see how she perked up.
    Hope that helps with the watching clover, and knowing when it’s time to water again. (I could have let it drop out more, but knew I would be busy and blow it off altogether.)
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks, that's super cool. I really like that as a watering gauge as I was just jabbing my hand into the soil before

• Like Like x 3
  15. That particular plant I have been growing for years. It comes inside and lives in my grow room in the winter. I have it shoe-horned into a corner that's tricky to pick up and feel the weight. When I see the clover looking like its on death's door, I water. This was a pleasant accident that just evolved into practice.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  16. At long last, harvest time begins in the greenhouse. Things are slow and late this year. The sun didn't really show itself until about the 3rd week of June. Before that, was a summer of rain everyday and very low overcast skies, and a very, very, cool spring. I had some visits early on from the unfriendlies. First was a very brief 'scale bug' visit, followed by some type of suspected catepilllar. The caterpillar ate the leaf margins and some new growth off every plant I had going. I almost threw in the towel. Things were then going good and I had to cull my "narcotherapy" plant. All the stress from the cata attack made it grow odd, with 3 leaves per fan. I let her go out 70 days but killed her, as it was obvious the buds would be total garbage, almost like it went to hemp. I also pulled my "narcotic purps" early. Something about the purple color has proven to be an aphid magnet here this summer. I did manage to get a small amount of bud off this one and will show a pic later. The purple is kinda neat to see. Anything I grow with purple foliage has proven to attract aphids. I won't forget that again.
    I chopped my "Amphetamine" plant today. Its by 'Cream of the Crop' seeds, as are all the plants in my current grow. The breeder pegs this one at 48 days inside, with a 40 gram plant. I ended up running her out to 92 days. Its a very short 28" tall plant with a couple nice 'tentacle' like branches bigger than the main cola. I used very little LST on these plants. I figured they have enough stress the way it is, and my signature LST method doesn't actually work too well with the way my greenhouse is laid out. They just get too fat, I feel I benefit from taller grow styles out in the GH.
    Here is the "Amphetamine". She is a NYC Diesel strain.
    Looking down from the top.
    Very little yellowing on this plant, especially for being cut at 92 days. Quite the cute little bush.

After a little bit of trimming for the camera, you can see there are actually some nice, big, fat buds hiding in that bush.
    Here is a nice shot from above. Just for kicks I threw in a shot of her hanging in the 'drying' position. It helps show the true shape of the plant.
    When the time comes, I will give a weight report and smoke update.
    My 3 other strains- crop circle, cropical fruit, and narcotherapy should be done in a week to 10 days.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Amazing as always OS, you obviously have the magic touch with these plants.

Me, not so much, as I managed to tear off a shoot and it's fan leaf by mistake while LSTing :( Any ideas what I'm in for here, can I expect the automatic to slow down/stop in response to this?

18. DSCN0221.jpg DSCN0219.jpg DSCN0218.JPG

The top photo is the amnesia at 6 weeks(approx 2days go). The auto WWxBB is little over 7 weeks now and Just beginning to flower now. The amnesia began to flower about 2 weeks ago. The Moby dick is the oldest by a day over the auto WWxBB and 9 days older than the amnesia. At this point I'll be happy if I harvest enough MD to be able to determine whether to try it again next year. Have you ever grown the MD XXL?

The bottom picture is from about 2 weeks ago and gives a perspective on all 3.
    Jian

19. Dude looks like things are going good for you! The 2 larger plants look on point! The center plant should give you a great yield.
    I have grown a couple Moby Dicks and couple Moby Dick XXL. They were phenomenal, all were giant to large plants, the biggest of all the XXLs I have run. Killer smoke, I have bunch of this squirreled away. The plants I grew had more hairs than any plant I have ever grown. I would try it again for sure (especially if you have some seeds already). Its a white widow x haze mix, and that's some good meds. Next time a little better start, and you will be rewarded.
    Its tuff to figure out the first summer when the right time to start stuff is, and when to put it outside and all that. The best thing to do is take notes this year, and try to do better next year. When I look at overall health of several plants grown together at roughly the same time, I think about the trends and why. Overall slow growth during veg, and small size would urge me to start later or start inside and move outside. A week can make a big difference. I always urge folks to look at the 'plant out date' that regular gardeners use, as an aid to guessing when its a good time to start outside. The flip side of the coin, plants vegged great and grew giant but didn't finish. That would be started a little late. (just think if you were down south where you would have a month on each side, or even 2 summer crops :) )
    Hopefully the second half of summer will give you warmer temps than the first half, and you can make up some time. Some strains are a lot faster than others on the tail end.
    One thing that you might want to keep in mind is this. I am always trying to match the quality of GH grows with that of indoor grows. I let my stuff go a real long time until it is totally finished top to bottom to perfection. If I had to, I could shave a week or two off the finish time and still have a good harvest.
    One thing that I have been meaning to discuss is taking the cola when its done, especially if its giant and really dense, regardless of the rest of the plant. If you start to get cool and rainy at the end, take the cola and upper buds if they are done. Even though you may slow down the rest of the plant for a few days, you have the main portion. After about a week, the rest of the plant will be moving along faster than before. One reason I say this has to do with powdery mildew type of problems. For me its the colas or top buds that will get funky waiting for the rest to finish. High humidity and rain are what make this a problem.
    Aside from that, a good tip with outdoor plants that are in flower is to shake the dew off them every morning if possible. Also good to shake the rain away.
    Another good tip. Remove dead growth asap. I'm talking about the fan leaves that yellow off in the canopy, and eventually turn brown, even the little ones. Indoor grow, you can be pretty lax with just letting that stuff dry up and fall off. Outdoor, with nightly dew and or rain, these things can cause all sorts of problems. I feel its super important for outdoor plants to be kept cleaned up at all times.
    I think you are doing good, especially for a first outdoor auto grow in a new spot.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks man! Wait till you see the next 3.

I think you will be fine. Stuff like that happens all the time. If you have some aloe, rub some gel on the stem where the branch tore off. It helps it heal very quickly. Aloe foliar would work also.
    keep up the good fight
    cheers
    os