Automatic Watering System

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by MalanoMan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of a way i could water my plants about every other day for a week? Im going on vacation and my options are ask my brother (can be trusted but sketchy) or come up with an automated watering system.

I was thinking something attached to a light timer. When it goes on it would allow water to sprinkle onto the dirt and it would stay on for about 10 seconds.

Any suggestions or ideas?

2. This is one where I think it is better to buy a pre-designed device rather than DIY. You can get an automatic irrigation system for about $50, and it basically is a pump on a timer with lots of tubing. You could build something like that DIY, but by the time you buy all the separate pieces and put it together you would have spent nearly as much.

3. Buy a digital timer, it can allow you to water 14 seconds every other day easy. Then hook it up to the pump, and the pump to some 1/4 spaghetti tubing with little nozzles. Every thing for under 20$ at home depot, except the pump.

I just got the Apollo 11 digital timer. Its great, and its precise ass hell, which I'm not used to in a timer, but its 240v only, but you can find similar 110v timers, for 10-12 bucks