Automatic Watering System?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by frenchfries, Oct 14, 2011.

1. So i just go blazed and i was planning out my next micro grow and i though how easy and cool it would be to have a automatic growing system i know that you can use drip irrigation but i dont think that would provide enough water for long periods of time (1-2 weeks) if any one knows anything that i could use that would be laying around a normal household i would appreciate the advice
    thanks

2. most hydroponic systems use automatic watering systems. depending on various factors such as budget, space, willingness to tinker (DIY), etc. you need to decide for yourself.

3. yea i need something a little cheaper and more simple im only doing a small LST rubermaid grow i might do driping but how much water shoud i give the plants on drips?

4. I don't know much about hydroponics myself, but I guess the simplest would be something like this,

[​IMG]

External link: Cannabis Hydroponics Systems

5. thanks for the help but i need something cheaper i dont have money to buy pumps and stuff im going with a drip system i need to know how much water should i let the line drip because im going to set it up to drip 24/7

6. ghetto hydroponics huh?

7. yea i was thinking about just hooking 2 tubes up to a 1 gallon tank and then clog it with something or hot glue the end up just enough to let out a couple drips every min. then sticking one tube into the dirt by the stem and the other above the plant.

8. why would you want to drip water continuously over the plant?? perfect conditions for mold... you might want to mist the plant every 10 days or so, to mimic the rain and to wash off any dust (that can block light!)

9. yea but again that would be some money to buy a mist thing im broke and yea that would be pretty stupid to drip it over the plant my bad but would the plant burn up i the water was only going to the roots and not cooling off the leaves and stuff

10. misting is only optional, im sure many successful growers aren't even aware of people misting their plants!

11. but will the plant burn up if i only had a tube going down into the dirt to the roots

12. burn because of? light?? I think even with hydroponics you have ventilation and air circulation to keep humidity and temp in control.

or nute burn?

13. just from the light drying the leaves and plant out when its young i mean im not home on weekends so i would need it to water it and keep it alive over the weekend and i would want to be able to not have to care about it that much so i can let it go for a couple days and not worry about it just didnt know if the leaves and stuff would get enough moisture to keep nice and green with a tube only in the dirt on the roots sorry im new to this its my first micro grow thanks alot for your help though i really appreciate it

14. i would but im broke as fuck i need to be as cheap as possible

15. I had the same idea when i had a starter set up under my fish tank. I put an air stone in the the water then hooked it up to a air valve that you use the control air flow in a fish tank. Instead reverse the flow of water out and just turn the valve were there is a very very slow drip. It worked for me, and all that stuff you can buy at walmart.

16. thanks but how slow should it be like a drip every 45 sec. or slower

17. hmm.. I can understand your reason for worry, but leaves do not absorb any moisture(only sunlight). Only the roots can absorb moisture, so dripping over the plant is not necessary. Regarding temperatures, if you can setup a decent ventilation system along with a pc fan for air circulation within the grow box, temp can be kept within 70 - 81 degrees fahrenheit.

18. yea i have 2 pc fans 1 intake and 1 exhaust but its in my garage so right now until it starts to cool down a bit more it stays at around 81 and 85 if its a hot day and around 70-75 at night

19. Right now I'm using a self watering pot with wick and resevor and my lemon skunk is doing great never have to water the top at all