1. Win a Personalized Grasscity Stoner Kit! Subscribe to our Youtube for a chance to WIN!
    Dismiss Notice

Automated irrigation using a DEHUMIDIFIER?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by JasK, Aug 22, 2003.

1. - In anticpation of having spinal surgery and not being able to tend to my indoor garden, I concocted a self-irrigating system by using a dehumidifier.

I wasnt able to fully test it or gauge the amount of H2O it released into each plant container before I went into recovery, but in the brief time I tried it, but it did seem to work very nicely. Anyway, my wife had unwittingly turned it off and all my young plants died.

I am now able to move around enough to attempt walking stairs and can hand water my new plants by hand. But I was wondering if it will work and if anyone else has done something similar?

\tI placed the dehumidifier at a level higher than the plants. I then ran a garden hose down through the plants watering basin and connected with fasteners. It ran all the way through then wrapped around and dropped down and ended at the floor drain. I then poked small holes along the hose at specific locations around the plants.
    From what I saw it was releasing consistent water in a steady drip all along the desired area. I even noticed that excess water made it all the way through and was being emptied into the floor drain.

I had the surgery before I could measure any results for this setup. I considered the possibility that the water may contain pollutants or toxins that a dehumidifier draws in from the air. Although I don't know whether they would actually reach a level high enough to endanger the plants.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I have planted the last seeds I had left, so I do not want to subject any of them to theories and experiments if I don't have to.

2. its a good dea but you can just buy a drip system from home deopt with all teh hoses and regulators you need. But Mj does better if it dries out then gets wet because the roots need O2 and H2O. it woul dbe best to have a drip system on a sprinkler timer system that goes off every few days for an hour or so.
  3. Gr0wer, I am not exactly sure what you mean. Could you be a little more specific about what regulators and sprinkler timers that you are talking about?

I would greatly appreciate it
  4. Go to home deopt and ask for there drip system they have small black likes and fitting on the ends that you stab into the ground to distribute water. I GG work i will get you some pics or links later tonight...

Grasscity Deals Near You