Autoflower questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by moshi1ry, Nov 8, 2011.

1. So i have pretty much bagged my first grow under my belt. Now for my next grow i am interested in trying out some auto flower plants. In particular i want to try northern lights since i hear its a pretty easy strain to grow. The way I understand autoflowers work is that they flower when they reach a certain height no matter what. I just have a few questions that i hope some fellow blades could answer.

1. Will using a 400 watt hps bulb the entire grow for autoflowers be fine or should there be a MH bulb untill flowering.
    2. How is the smoke from autos ive heard some people say not as good while others say its no different than a normal strain.
    3. Are Nutes required for autos ive heard some people say they dont need them. While other do need them.
    4. Finally would planting autos in FFOF soil be a bad idea?

As you can see i dont have hardly any experience with autos but would greatly appreciate any enlightening on the subject. And as always thanks for any responses from the GC community.

2. 1. you can do both for optimum growth but can grow start to finish with hps if you grow only auto you can bump the light flowering time to 14 or 15 hr on.
    2. the smoke has alot to do with the grower and the things you do. its as good as any and if you do a sog you cant tell the diff in yield.
    3. yes nutes have to be applied just as any plant well die if not fed.
    4.yes what ever works for you.

3. Thanks hotabomb for the reply ive heard people flowering with 24/7 or even 20/4 cycle or is that not recommended?

4. you can do that much but I'm sure that the plant can't utilize that much and i would opt to save on the light bill and go with 15 to 18max hr on time. what ever is good for you.