Autoflower questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankitydank420, Jul 14, 2011.

1. #1 dankitydank420, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
    Plan to grow 5-6 autoflowers in 3 gallon pots under a 400w hps for my first grow. I've read that auto flowers shouldnt be transplanted so is it okay to take them straight from germ to 3 gallon pots? Using FF Ocean Forest Soil 1/3 perlite 2/3 soil... Should I put a thin layer of perlite on the bottom of the pots or just use the mix? Using FF Trio for nutes, plan to start heavy feeding every other watering at the beginning of week 2 starting at 1/4 concentration following the FF Soil Feeding Schedule. It also says to use 1 teaspoon/gallon EVERY watering aside from the heavy feedings... Should I start these light feedings every watering from week 1? start the light feedings week 2? or just feed once every other watering starting week 2? If the light feedings are necessary im assuming that i also start those at 1/4 concentration? Also, are there any other suppliments that I should use during flowering for optimal yields? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

p.s. decided to just post the whole plan I have written out.

Tent

48"48"78"
    Ventilation = One 6 inch, 2x 3.5" round. Three 15" x 2.5" rectangular.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/48-x48-x78-Refl...265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2944589

Lighting

400w MH Coversion Bulb to start. Switching to 400w HPS at first signs of flowering.
    http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-Ultimate-400w-HPS-&-MH-Grow-Light.asp
    With 6" Cool Tube Reflector

Ventilation

GrowBright 6" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo
    http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-6in-Inline-Fan-&-Carbon-Filter-Combo.asp
    Carbon Filter > Fan > Duct > Cool Tube > Duct > Exhaust
    2 Oscillating Fans inside for air circulation
    Passive Intake

One problem that I fear I may run into is being unable to vent out of the tent, but being unable to vent out of the room itself. I have central air the vent for which is located in the middle of the ceiling. There is a window in the room, but I can't exactly vent directly out of it and winters are cold here. So during the cold seasons when the a/c isn't on, but instead the heat is being used, what can I do? I can keep the temp in the room itself at 70-75F via central air and I can get clean air into the room through other parts of the house I guess. Any suggestions?

Medium

This is where I am kind of unsure on what to do. I was thinking 2/3 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil, 1/3 Perlite in 2 gallon pots for the entire cycle ( Autoflowering strains ). I'd assume that autoflowering strains can take the nutes from the Ocean Forest Soil right away and that it will last them the first couple weeks? And again I'd like to know how many plants I could fit in this setup, and if maybe I'd be better off with 1 gallon pots so I can fit more?

Nutes

Fox Farm Trio

Again, here I am unsure if this system is the way to go and if maybe it's not enough on it's own. I am a total noob so any help is much appreciated.

Ok that's all my brain can manage to give me at the moment, I'm sure there are other details that would be necessary. I will have all necessary meters and will be keeping PH around 6.3-6.8 I think was the golden number? Using the PH Up/Down kit by HtG... Any advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alot of questions here but you are definitely on the right track. I would suggest planting in small pots to start and then transplant into the 3 gal pots. Even though autos don't like to be transplanted, it is very easy to drown seedlings in large pots. I learned that very quickly and wasted a few seeds in the process.

Your soil mix sounds great but you might want to start the seeds in FF light warrior and then transplant to the FFOF mix. Ocean Forest can be too much for seedlings. Again, this is just from my experience. Wasted some more seeds lol. You could also add some dolomite lime to your soil mix. I've found that FFOF becomes more acidic as time goes on and it is much easier to have the lime in your soil beforehand than to add it mid grow.

The FF trio is good stuff. Definitely wait at least 2 weeks before you use anything (except for big bloom it's weak stuff) and go 1/4 strength at first like you said. You might want to look into the solubles when flowering begins. They worked wonders for me and will last you forever. Autos are finicky with nutes at first but they will be able to handle more and more as they get older.

I'm working with the same size space and can fit 6 possibly 8 3 gallon pots but it would be a tight squeeze especially under a 400. You have to account for the space they will take up once they start to flower. I would go with 4 if I was you.

Again, these are just my opinions based on my experience. Do what you want and learn from your mistakes or lack thereof. What strains are you going with?

3. #3 dankitydank420, Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks for the info... I'm afraid that I'll hurt the plants when transplanting or not do it early enough and stunt their growth (nothing like the first grow jitters)... But the chance of them drowning in a 3 gallon pot is prob much greater. I've been looking at autoflower fem onyx and blue himalaya diesel. Going to get a 5 pack of each so assuming they all germ and sprout I'll be good for my first 2 grows. I'm still a ways off before I have enough $ to do this so I'll probably end up going with something different but those are the two that caught my eye recently. Just trying to get all the planning done now so I'll be ready when I have the $ to invest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Would it be possible to start them in peat cups and go directly from there into 3 gallon pots? I would rather not have to physically transplant the plant on my first grow >.<

5. #6 dankitydank420, Jul 14, 2011
    Wow man kudos on your first grow looks like it went well.. I may look at the lowryder ak 47, that is autoflowering right?

Again would it be ok to start them in peat cups and put the peat cups into the 3 gallon pots once roots start showing? or should I just go straight into the 3 gallon pot? If so how can I avoid drowning them.

p.s. I'll actually be using a 2 gallon bucker since they most likely wont reach more than 25" If planting directly into 2 gallons isnt safe, what do you guys suggest? First grow nervous about having to transplant my plants, peat cups stunt root growth, and I don't want to drown them... sooo I'm unsure of what to do.

6. some 1 on this forum grew ak47 lowryder in a 3 gallon pot and got 56 grams out of her wet..thats per plant and its a super great strain to grow just if u can find it now a days

7. I've been reading and this thread is saying jiffy pots can stunt growth, and peat cups are like the same thing? -_- really uncomfortable having to transplant them all on my first grow... maybe I'll just start off with 2 as a test run or something. Unless there is an almost fool proof way for me to plant directly into a 3 gallon without drowning

8. Transplanting can be scary but it is pretty simple. Get your new pot ready and put on some rubber gloves. Let the soil dry out and turn your pot upside down while holding the top of your pot. Shake loose and the entire rootball should come out intact and ready to repot. Easy.

The growth after transplanting is amazing. You could go with the jiffy peat and just stick it right in your new pot too. Or you could start with 3 gallon pots...it's up to you.

I have some auto blackjack and auto cream caramel from sweet seeds waiting for my next grow. Got a normal blackjack going now and the long flowering time is killing me. Both are said to be somewhere between 18-20% thc and 1% cbd which is really nice for autos.

9. #10 bosey, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You mean 56 grams dry right? 56 grams wet is not much.

10. You heard correct . Dont use jiffy pots...i tried and the roots have to work to hard to get through and you get a very small plant.If you want to germinate them use rapid rooters

11. So I'm guessing autoflower strains generally have a lower thc count? If I'm going to plant directly into 2 gallon pots is that really going to hurt my grow at all as long as I don't drown the seedlings? I'm guessing if I water enough to dampen the first 3-4 inches of soil that would be enough for the first couple weeks to avoid drowning?

12. Germinate them in the plugs? I hear most people use two plates and a couple of damp paper towels? I'm assuming the nutrients increase help the taproot to sprout but is it really worth spending $ on?

13. What i would do bro is use rapid rooters and when you see the roots fill out put the in their permanent container. There are good strains out their with a respectable thc/cbd count. also look into the super autos ...120 days from seed with a much bigger yield. good luck

14. Autos usually have lower thc but they are getting better and better nowadays.

Yea it's tough because you are watering a huge pot for a seedling that is just starting to root. It is hard to water without overwatering if you catch my drift. Some people just do it that way though.

I was scared of transplanting too but it isn't as hard as you think.

15. Oh I get it now... but I'm guessing that I cant set those under a 400w hps? soo should I get a humidity dome or something?

16. Germinating is not just the paper towel method or distilled water and shot glass...its the whole process until there a true seedling . Germinate them as you would and once cracked put in the rapid rooters tap root down.I water with a few drops of water as the plug retains allot. Im speaking from experience not just throwing something out there but there are many other ways but i have had great results doing it this way.

17. Ok so if I start with rapid rooters, I'm guessing I can't put them under a 400w MH? Soo get a humidity dome set them in a tray inside that or what?

18. You can use the 400 you just need enough head room to make sure you dont burn them.Or pick up some cfl's to start them and you will be good to go.

Edit yes get the whole rapid rooter starter set it comes with everything but the dome is extra lol:rolleyes:

19. #20 dankitydank420, Jul 14, 2011
    Do I NEED the humidity dome? or can I just set them in the tray a good 3 ft under the light? I'm thinking they might dry out like...instantly

Also when will I transplant them into pots using rapid rooters? and should I get natural plugs or the ones with nutes in them?