Autoflower Grow - Fluorescent Tubes

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AutoAntix, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Used to be a member here years ago, went dark for a while after I gave up growing where I was, started lurking again and now I'm back after getting together a new stealth box.

My plan is to have just an efficient enough box to grow 2 decent autoflowers at a time. I ordered my seeds from the Single Seed Centre and coming in at around $50 after shipping I got myself:

Auto New York City [x5]
    AK-49 Automatic [x1]
    Big Bud (autoflowering) [x1]

My box itself is a cheap converted shelf measuring about 3.5ft tall, 3ft wide, and 1ft deep.

Fluorescent tubes are pretty much how I am going to go with my current energy and space requirements - CFL's, while having given me some results in the past, are too messy in terms of having splitters and wires all over, and hot for my taste. HID, MH, etc. are out of the question.

I want to get an idea of whether T5s or T8s are better for this and why. I think I will be going for a 2' 4-tube fixture of mixed 3000K and 6500K T5's before long (it's all I would be able to fit), but I will be starting with a 2' 2-tube (3500K) T8 fixture for at least a week or two.

This may become a journal, at the least a log I'll update once in a while with progress. I'll post pictures soon. Just looking for opinions before my beans ever even go into the soil, which is Espoma Organic Potting Mix - another product that has always worked for me in the past. I will also be supplementing my plants with Advanced Nutrients' Big Bud once a week or so after two weeks in until two weeks from chopping. 

2. Build a bigger box or get rid of the box all together. Autos dont care about light being on too much.

I think boxes are ridiculous you dont need a stinking box.

3. If I didn't need a box, I wouldn't build a box. 

4. 3 square feet is not even a box.

5. I respect your right to an opinion. We'll just have to wait and see then. :)

6. Any opinions on pot size given my growing space? I'm thinking about 2-gallon pots would be sufficient for autos, but I've also never grown autos before.

Suggestions?