Autobody rust

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Lucifer Christ, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has an idea of how much I might be paying to get all the rust on my vehicle properly fixed.

It is a large cargo van, and the rust isn't severe, though there are a fair number of rust spots on the body, and the wheel wells appear to have a lot of rust spots. With the exception of 1 spot, there are no actual holes in the body. So a bunch of minor rust.

Also, there is no rust on the frame, only on the body.

I need a rough, ballpark estimate of what this might cost me to get repaired properly. $500? $2000? I really have no idea, but I would like to get this fixed eventually.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

2. are you going to take it somewhere to get the work done? i bet the will give you a very accurate estimate.

3. I want to eventually, but I need to save up the money first, depending on how much it will be. I don't need a paint job either, I can do that myself.

4. #4 sinsemillaswimm, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
    Get this stuff right here and do it yourself, it's kinda simple once ya get the hang of it
    I'll type some stuff next post[​IMG]

5. #5 sinsemillaswimm, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
    but, . good luck man : D

6. i used my old civic to practice some body work on. it had rust over the wheel wells and a few other spots. i sanded it down and patched it up but i didnt get all of the rust b/c 4 months later the patch work started to bubble.

i spent 10-15 on a variety of sand paper grit, 5 on primer, 20 on bondo. 5-8 paint stripper disc(drill attachment).

this thing will save you time
    [​IMG]

7. Hmmm... I was looking into the fiberglass/bondo methods, I just wasn't sure how well it worked. I'm looking at a long term fix here, if I do a good job removing ALL the rust, will the bond and fiberglass hold for a very long time?

8. if done right yes, like i said above if you miss some rust it will come back.