auto vs photo question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by txbud997, Nov 26, 2017.

1. I'm on my 2nd indoor auto grow, about 5 weeks into it so far.

I'm thinking about growing a photo next. (or a couple). But I want two things.

1. don't want to wait forever to harvest.
    2. Don't want a 4 foot plant.

Can I grow a photo that is shorter with higher yields than auto's while still keeping the total time reasonable?

2. HEY MAN

You can veg plants for very short periods and flip em to flower whenever you want. If you have proper LST techniques, you can keep them any size you want as well. Just remember to flip them when they are half as big as you want man

ANY QUESTIONNS?

3. ok. so I should flip them when half as big as I want. what type of yield difference can I expect over the same size auto plant?

4. Most Photos will give a bigger and better yield plus a Nicer Smoke then autos IMO! at least you can control photos, autos do what they want regardless. I just like photos better just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ok i am not by any means an auto expert. but you have auto experience under you . if you veg a photo and top it so the height is 12 inches tall and flip to flower 12/12 the total height will be about the same as your auto . and autos there are some that are done in 6 weeks from planting ! there are no photos that can match that. fastest photo ive seen took 6 weeks. but it was vegged for a month . keep that in mind the timer starts how long they say it will be done once you hit the 12/12 cycle . the auto is when it hits the dirt . personally ill say most autos will save about 3 weeks . and the smoke . to me is just as good as photo yields if you run an auto under 24 hours of light is not bad . a photo can get more yield yes you can veg it larger. if you do not have the added light you may not be able to take advantage of a bigger plant . autos have many advantages . 1 major 1 no worry about light leaks there faster . in the past auto yields used to be a lot lower and the strength of the smoke was lower . this is no longer the case in some auto . what yield did you pull off each auto ? photo you can have a mother plant cut clones from her.

6. my first auto. with a bad light and being totally new was 3/4 ounce dried. I expect this one will be twice that with a good light.

7. there are people that only get this form a photo . less then a o per plant .

8. With a good light, a scrog, and a short flowering strain you could yield 6-8 oz. from one plant in 12-13 weeks. Even if it's a little longer than you would like - it beats 3/4 ounce.

9. fair enough

10. You can certainly find very good short growing photos, especially if you like indica. First concern going from auto to photo is light leaks. Not really all that much difference in time and over the course of a year both photo and auto will have the same yield if grown by the same grower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I prefer autos. Short growing period, just as potent. Smaller yield yea but not by much if you buy from good breeders and give them everything they need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. smaller yield per plant maybe, but about the same if you stay right with it and over a year and now you are comparing yield of 3 photos to 4 autos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. smaller yield per plant maybe, but about the same if you stay right with it and over a year and now you are comparing yield of 3 photos to 4 autos.

14. What’s the thing with light leaks between autos and photos? Never heard of that one before I Grow Femmed, but have grown autos to. I never had a problem with light leaks. and my tents aren’t totally light leak proof. and never no ill effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. depends on the intensity of the light coming through the leak and it doesn't take much to hermie a feminized photo

• Like Like x 1
  16. No do not flip hem when they are half the hight, flip them when they are a third the height otherwise they could go out of control and you will be doing your best to tie em back depending on the strain.

Sativa are harder to control because when you flip em over to flower they still keep shooting up but indica is OK it's short and bushy.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. Can you not clone an Auto at all? And can you make feminized seeds from an auto ?

18. Autos can be cloned. A few have done it on here experimenting, without the best results. . The problem is a clone has a limited life span and is already the age of the donor plant. Therefore after it recovers from the cloning process it has very little time left to veg, grow and yield much. The few auto clones I've seen on here were cool but a waste of time, space and resources to do on a regular basis.

Yes you can make feminised seeds from autos.