auto ultimate 100% coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Allaboutbuds, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Hi guys! I started a few auto ultimate dutch passion seeds in 20L airpots with coco only ( i used coco bricks ) and they are today at day 26 and while 4 of them are quite big and healthy and growing pretty fast, 3 of them are very pale green with yellow lower leaves and cotyledons. In the last couple of days they grew very little.

My lights are 4 qb96 elite v2 running 18/6 with 20K lux measured with a lux meter.

Environment is 28C at day and 25C at night with 50-55% RH.

I thought maybe they are hungry and fed them with dutch pro grow A+B hydro/coco at 1/4 strenght and some voodoo juice 1ml/L of water. Ppm 550 I watered them daily with about half a litre each in the middle of the day with about 10% runoff. Nothing happened for the little ones they just look the same but the roots are almost to the bottom of the pots looking healthy and no smell.

About 4 days ago i tried flushing them as the coco showed a lot of salt cristals. Flushed with 2L each 6.2 ph water and 1L contained nutes and cal mag too about 0.5ml/L. Again..nothing happened. By the way runoff is constantly 6.6 PH and ppm 600. I use tap water and is about 250-300 ppm.

This is the first time i am using pure coco, my last grow i used soil mixed with coco 70/30 and never had this happen.

From all my research in the last week i honestly think i overwatered because i noticed the runoff takes a while to appear.

Maybe you guys can give me some advice please!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey man. It's my first time growing in coco so dont take my word for it I've learnt a shit ton since growing In coco and I've got it to a fine line atm. One guy gave me the best advice. Which was feed(quarter strength, I feed calmag grow and bloom)/water every day with %20 run off. I also ph between 5.5 and 5.8.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wouldn't go over 10ltr pots for autos mate the root system doesn't get that's big and your waisting coco

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Not true

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thanks for your reply! From what day you start feeding ?
    So maybe it is my PH? I thought about a nute lockout or a sulfur deficiency as this is best absorbed between 6.2 and 6.5 even in coco but it's weird because all my plants are fed the same.

6. ok then but I bet u now if you grow one in a 20 ltr and one in a 10ltr yal still get the same

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Thanks for your reply man!

Well i started with 10 ltr pots at first and over my grows i bought bigger pots and all the plants grew their roots filling the pots. I only grow xxl strains by the way that take about 100+ days so maybe this explains it too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. photoperiod different 20 ltr pot would make a tree

9. I hope I haven't been educating myself on the wrong material lol I hope you do well mate

10. You too mate!

When i first bought the 20 ltr pots i was very doubtful they will make any difference but i decided to try and they yielded a little better but the roots and sidebranches were awesome! Or maybe i learnt from my mistakes and grew better lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Never run plain water through the coco.
    Feed daily to substantial run off using a pH around 5.9 - 6.0.
    Never let it get dry.
    20 ltr. airpots are way overkill........you can grow a tree in an airpot half that size.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks for your reply man! It's just this coco needs a few days to dry just a little and it looks like it gets too compact.
    I do water daily with 500 ppm nutes.
    From your experience they look underfed?

13. Never let the coco dry.........feed daily to run off.
    Coco holds 30% oxygen, even when saturated.

14. I watered daily ph 5.9 - 6.1 with 10-15% runoff with 500 ppm that's why i don't really understand if this is a deficiency or overfed. I watered now with 1L each hope they will green back up and grow like the rest do.

15. I started feeding at about that age but go easy on the nutes. I grew in 20 ltr buckets and got root bound. So just be easy on that information all plants are different and grow at various sizes. In all honesty bro I think its underwatered you can water 10 times a day and not overwater coco. I p.h at about 5.8(nothing over 6.0). With quarter strength nutes every night(try less for your ones until they have the first set of true leaves). And mine are thriving. I think this is your issue because mine sat at the same size as yours for 2/3 weeks(because I have never grown in coco, I treated it as soil) but when I started to water the whole mass of my pots and the medium until run off they instantly started thriving overnight.

• Like Like x 1
  16. If it takes a while for your feeding to saturate the coco and begin to runoff, perhaps some perlite is needed or your coco is too compacted for proper draining. When I buffer my coco, half of it gets thrown in the garden because it sinks to the bottom of the buckets I'm using during the buffering process. I only use the coco that floats on the surface.

And my understanding about Airpots is that they air prune the roots as they grow allowing huge plants in smaller pots.

Good Luck.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thanks bro! Because of soil i think i was afraid of watering so often. Another lesson learned. All the best!

18. Thanks man! That was my first mistake as i did not rinsed and buffered my coco.
    I know i won't make those mistakes again on my future grows and i hope that my girls will start growing as they should. It's odd how only a few got problems but the rest are growing very fast lol