auto top off SIP irrigation system with reservoir for multiple pots

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Deleted member 1087321, Aug 8, 2019.

1. So i just want to confirm before i start drilling holes and building this thing is that the water level is determined by the height of the holes that connect each container? it works like a chicken waterer or a dog water bowl where as the dog, o plants in our case drink up the water, the water level lowers below the hole and will suck in new water till the hole is covered? So this system needs to be on level ground correct?

Figured i would document my build here too if anyone is interested. my SIPs are great but my room is difficult to get in and out of for watering the back area. i had some plants dry up and yellow out recently which is why i want to build it. i can have the reservoir outside the room with the control rez inside.

has anyone built one of these?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. G45 had a reservoir type SIP system in his old grow thread. I'll see if I can find it and link you to it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I’m a SIP freak so count me in to follow if you build it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I found the spot on G's thread where he posts a video of his SIPs that are daisy chained with plumbing and attached to a reservoir.

Here's the YouTube on G's thread:

• Like Like x 3
  5. in the video he doesn't go much into detail about how the reservoir fills the sip but i saw some hydro lines and the shut off valves. essentially that is exactly what i had in mind except his are all individually fed from a main line and this guy is showing a single line that goes from one sip to the next. i like G45 idea much better. i'll dive down your SIP query tonight and get more info. Maybe he would be so kind as to answer a couple questions if i have any after i research on IG!!

@dobro49 its gonna be built. i can't get into the back room without unloading plants just for me to walk into the corner. really messed up the yield on my plants this round. PLUS i think i may just run 5 gallon buckets and lots of small plants. the big plants are great but i am constantly backed up in veg. having small pots sucks if you're hand watering in organic soil but if its on irrigation, then the soil stays moist constantly which seems to be the issue of early yellowing.

what do you guys think? 5 gallon small plants and lots of them or five big bushes and lots of cloning in veg?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I just use them outside with some peppers at the moment but it’s going to be my inside system when I get my room finished. I’ve made a cpl 5gal ones and I have an earth box.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I believe there is a two reservoir system with one that keeps all the buckets at the same level and the other feeds the level one to keep the level constant. Let me see if I can find a diagram for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. no need. the small bucket is the control bucket. its more about the height and amount of the water putting pressure on the system so i think they use a small control rez so it doesn't overflow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. #10 Deleted member 1087321, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2019
    i'm just gonna use this post to collect his videos since you need a link to see them and can't just search his youtube. i think i can piece together the whole system with multiple videos by searching his thread.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkV2UnxuQ9s

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The thing I like about this setup is you can remove an individual bucket from the system. The system with the buckets linked together you can't.

• Like Like x 2
  11. see i wasn't sure if you could put shut off valves at each end so you could detach them and put them in another room with a daisy chained type system. i like the individual lines from a main line because you can shove them a little to the left or right if one part of the plant is bushier on one side where as with the daisy chain idea you are kinda stuck in a line.

• Like Like x 2
  12. FD94FDDD-A847-4128-BF52-684E761BD936.jpeg So it’s alive!! The water runs slowly tho. Like really slow. Can I lift the reservoir to increase the flow rate??

• Like Like x 1
  13. What do you think would happen if I put biochar in the perlite? Nothing? In old florist and terrarium books they would add charcoal to the bottom to keep it fresh. So would it just pull any fertilizer that leaches down into the water? I wonder if that would be beneficial or a waste. :bongin:

• Like Like x 1

14. I have my reservoirs for my Blumats lifted to accommodate the length of the feeder line.They recommend the reservoir be lifted 1/2 meter for every 5 meters of feeder line.

With the larger hose you're using, You could probably increase the pressure significantly by lifting up 18 to 24"

Its better to over engineer IMO so when you get it all installed, you don't have to mess with it.

BTW, your system looks awesome!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. So the water that feeds into the sips comes from the control box that controls the height of the water in the sip. even when i dumped more water in the control bucket, the water didn't come out any faster. if i lift it up, according to the diagrams, it will also raise the water level in the SIP containers. so it has to stay on the floor.

also, i got ahold of G45 and he said at first you could put four SIPs per control bucket but i asked if you could do 6? he said yes but the last SIP at the end of the line gets filled up last. i had to do some adjusting of the line just to get water to enter the last SIP. i was considering trying out a continous loop to see if that helped. i'll play around with it tomorrow. i think if i duct tape the line to the floor in the way that it needs to be to get to the last sip, then it will be ok. what happens is the water doesn't travel all the way down if the line is not completely on the ground flat. then the water also has to travel back up to the hole that goes into the SIP. the driveway is not level so that could be the issue but i used the slope to my advantage so i'm kinda worried what it will do when on flat land on the last SIP.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OooOoOoooO look at this guys system! it would be great for switching rooms easily!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 91C644DA-7AE8-4E88-8579-9B4EB50A9568.jpeg BB53BCA9-5CAC-4271-B092-23AC7D40D81F.jpeg I set it up inside on flat ground and it works great it fills up three sips really slow. It took five hours or so to fill up completely. Once it’s filled up it should be ok with a slow flow rate. So I think I am gonna make another control box to service the other three SIPs so the last sip on the line isn’t always lacking.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I’m not too sure if giving measurements would be helpful but I have some suggestions. For the reservoir, the hole that water flows out into the control bucket should be towards the bottom and use a 1/2” bulkhead to attach the line. For the control bucket, also put the exit hole that leads to the SIPs at the bottom. The float switch should be high enough that it’s above the desired water level so water doesn’t come out the hole if your rubber seal is crappy like mine. I would say 1.5” above the top of the bulkhead that leads to the SIPs.

Now the controller bucket services all the SIPs and fills them up one by one so the last sip on the line gets water last after everyone else is filled up. G45 said four SIPs initially but I asked if six was ok and he said yes. This one I made just has three hooked up on it and the flow rate is so slow that I am thinking of making two control boxes to feed the six SIPs when the reservoir runs dry. I also think I will add an extra float switch so there’s two filling each control bucket so it can fill faster. It’s like RO water dribble slow. The float switch doesn’t let a lot flow out at once so a better float switch or more of them. It’s probably not even a big deal.

So each sip has two shut off valves so the water doesn’t drain out of the sip and it cuts the gravity feed so water doesn’t drain out. This way you can unhook and put it from veg into flower. I used an elbow at the end because I thought the line might get kinked doing a 90 degree angle but it leaks.

When it runs dry, I am going to try a continuous loop to see if that helps fill them faster and keep the water pressure even on the whole line so all pots get watered equally. Similar to blumat line systems.

• Like Like x 3
  19. figured i'd update on the continuous loop. it fills the planters faster but you have to let a big portion in the middle for the loop so it doesn't kink like a garden hose. so i went back to the single line. it works just fine.

the height of the water will be determined by the height from the floor. i have my planters on furniture dollies so i measure from the floor. i have the control box raised up also on a furniture dollie so they're the same height.

anyways, i love it and i think i use less water overall compared to hand watering. it doesn't seem to effect the humidity in the air like one would assume.

• Like Like x 2