Auto growers help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Clearsky, Jan 21, 2021.

1. This is my first auto run, at the end of day with a 18/6 light schedule plants look under or over watered, but after 6 hours of rest they look good again, northern lights original auto is the one that looks bad, the gelato plants don't affect much. Here's pictures right before lights go out and pictures of plants when lights come back on.

Attached Files:

2. #2 Ignisol, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    My guess is under watering. A good rule of thumb from what I've read is 1 liter of water per gallon. So if you're using say a 4 gallon container, you would give 4 liters, which is roughly a gallon of water. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Yes I can wait until planter bags are lite and give 5 gallons of water for 10 plants and in a couple of hours later they will look like I just drowned them, same thing if I water until I get run off. Soil promix purple cow soil and worm castings with a little bit of dolomite lime. They are very finicky. Probably be the last time I grow them. Thanks for your reply.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your leaves will tip down on some girls late in the day when they have had as much light as they can process in your setup. Have has the same with autos under high lighting. Consider backing light off a touch or reducing to 17 hrs light to see if it makes a difference. Have never noticed any real problem from it, but that's the reason I don't like to run autos 24-0. They seemed like they "need the rest" and we're always much happier after a sleep. Fine tuning though bro. Nothing I would worry much about if she is otherwise doing her thing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dry plants will show signs of overwatering when rehydrated. Try watering less more frequently. Preferably after lights on rather than before lights off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's normal. Ever seen a timelapse of them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Your plants are tired at the end of the grow cycle. This happens with autos even in flower because they use a longer flower light interval than a photoperiod plant in flower. This is normal my friend

8. Ok, thank you.

• Like Like x 1

9. If you want the best of the best autoflower knowledge from this forum i would hit up @Organic sinse.

He has mastered the full life cycle of autos from seed to harvest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ok, I will check it out

• Like Like x 1

11. How is 3 liters a gallon and a half of water? 3.785 liters are in a gallon. Aka 3 liters equals 0.8 gallons

12. How much aeration, like perlite or pumice, do you have in your mix? What total percent of the total volume of mix is aeration, might be a better way to ask?
    Cheers
    Os

13. Just what promix has in it, I just bought a bag of perlite for my next time I mix soil. Promix does drain good but not good enough for auto's, but I'm stuck with what I got mixed for now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That was my thought exactly. Typically all bagged soils don’t have enough aeration. If they put enough in, they are afraid people will think they are getting ripped off. After adding compost or castings to the Promix, shoot for 35-40% perlite of the total mix. To the untrained eye, 35-40% will look like way too much, but it’s just right.
    Once you have a soil mix that drains and breaths, I’m sure you will have better luck, and the watering will see, very straight forward.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah you're right, I posted at 6am so was tired. About 4 liters in a gallon. So say if you had a 4 gallon container, you would use roughly a gallon of water.

• Funny Funny x 1

16. It happens to the best of us

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. After growing in pure perlite for a few years, I am now perlite free. Dr. Bugsbee straightened me out. Growers switched to perlite when vermiculite got too expensive.
    8 qts peat
    8 qts vermiculite
    1/4 cup dolomite
    1 tbs gypsum
    That'll grow you some pot and you'll never look back.
    Youtube Dr Bugsbee max for a detailed explanation on creating the perfect 6.2 medium.

18. I got everything there except the gypsum, I just ordered some to have. The reason I bought perlite was because vermiculite holds water more then perlite. But next plant I grow I will use this recipe with a 7 gallon air pot. Thanks for your reply.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vermiculite is great for the folks that have dry desert like humidity or hot temps. For growing in normal to high humidity and cooler temps, I prefer perlite. It drains and breathes better. Perlite also makes for a physically lighter mix which can be handy when dealing with large containers.
    Not trashing vermiculite by any means. There are plenty of plants I grow that thrive in vermiculite, cannabis just isn’t one that thrives for me.
    Perlite with the addition of rock dust is what works the best for me. The rock dust mimics some of the extra water holding characteristic of vermiculite, plus adding nutrients. The perlite let’s the whole thing breath.
    Cheers
    Os