Auto Flower seedling taking a long time

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by PrairieGrower, Jun 16, 2022.

1. #1 PrairieGrower, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    I’m growing a Northern Lights autoflower. the plan is to start inside and move outside.
    I germinated the first 2 seeds on May 29. Started them in a glass of distilled water, then to paper towel. The first one sprouted in two days and was planted in Pro Mix Premium Vegetable and Herb soil, under a single 9w LED grow bulb.
    This one took 5 days to show signs of germination and it was planted on day 6 (June 4). About a week later and still nothing sprouting, I brushed off the top layer of soil. The shell was still on, but splitting. I left it like this. I misted it almost every day.
    I ended up putting some plastic over top and it started to come up more, so I removed the plastic. The shell was still stuck on, so on June 15, I dribbled water on it and removed the shell. I have added pics from the beginning until this morning. Any chance this one will make it, or should I cut my losses?

Attached Files:

2. keep her warm and chill...chill lots you need patients

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. You don't need to use any special method to germinate seeds. Take your pot of growing medium, pour a few ounces of water in a 3 inch circle in the middle of the pot, make a 1/4 in deep hole, drop the seed in, lightly cover it and spray the area with water everyday. As long as your humidity is around 60-65 and temps about 75 they will sprout in about 3 days. I have a 99% germination rate using this method. Back when I first started, I tried the paper towel method, and the soaking for 16 hours method, neither method came close to being as successful as direct sowing. Happy growing man. Peace.

4. Amen to that I tried all sort of germinating over the years these days direct planting is the easiest way and allways works n no Messing around with seeds with tap roots

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I followed the germination directions on the producers website. 3 of the 4 are all growing well except this one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It should make it. The shell gets stuck on sometimes it's caused by not planting the seed deep enough and the "endosperm" and seed shell stays stuck on the cotyledons. Some growers call it a "helmet head" lol. You did exactly what you're supposed to do though. Mist it and use something to knock it off. I like using a pointy knife or toothpicks. It's better to plant them shallow and not too deep. I'd avoid misting it everyday though. You don't have to do that. As long as your soil is moist it should grow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. i just stick my seeds in soil and spray them with water in the morning. but last year every seed but one germinated... and for some reason i kept watering the one pot and like 2+ weeks after the rest had already sprouted it came up.. and ended up being the biggest plant of the bunch by a mile.

8. So here we are at almost 1 month since germination. It is still only 1.5” tall or so.
    The other one that I germinated on the same day is doing great and is now outdoors.

I also started two more 3 weeks ago. Started them in paper towel and planted in pots outside. They seem to be slow growing too, but they got washed out by an unanticipated heavy rain last week.

Attached Files: