Auto Flower Resource Thread...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by maulcoy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. I heard Nirvanas autos were so fucked up they had to pull the line...Hermies, non autos in auto packs etc. Haven't heard of any other seed co. have same issues.

2. I was wondering ,everybody in this thread has smaller plants
    then I have. I am using only 3,5 l pots (about1,5 gal ?)and my
    girls are average 23 inch. May be its because I supply d them
    with lots of Co2 and that made them bigger. Hopefully the buds
    will be big too!! [​IMG]

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/716779-stealth-diesel-ryder-autofem-grow.html

3. Pot size WILL effect your final yield. They can grow tall in 16 ounce cups, but the root system size and the bud size are forever linked in Autos.

4. One of the most useful devices used in a quality cannabis breeding project is that of catalogue techniques. This refers to the method used to categorize various traits for future reference, or how to best label traits from a given population. It is also a means to track who came from where (generational references).

First and foremost, I cannot begin to describe the level of complexity involved with a breeding project that extends from the f-2 to the f-5 range. It took me over a decade and a half of trial and much error to fully comprehend and develop a system that actually works to this level and beyond. It starts out simple enough, until the f-2's, then the complexity expands exponentially with each generation.

The P-1's are simple enough, they are the original breed-stock and labeled for what they are, i.e. Highland, Purple or Chocolate Thai, Oaxacan or Santa Marta Gold, Pure Afghan, etc. The f-1's were equally simple as they were of uniform expressions and I simply chose to label them “The Cross”. The f-2 generation was equally easy to identify with the label “Double Cross”, or the progeny of the f-1 cross. However, when the f-2's were grown out, extreme diversity ruled the making of the f-3's (or the descriptions of the f-2's selected to breed further with) a tougher call to make.

It is at this level (and beyond) that some form of labeling system becomes necessary to catalogue all of the different variations found. Beginning with the plants grown out from the f-2 seeds I chose to utilize an alphabetized system with each letter corresponding to a specific trait. For example, the letter “B” came to signify the “Berry” characteristic, “F” stands for “Fruity” (sometimes “Floral“), “G” is for Grape, “C” for Citrus, “O” for orange, “L” for lemon or lime, “K” equaled “Kush”, “S” for “Sativa” “P” for Purple, “X” for extreme glandular trichome production, etc.

I must confess that it took much trial and error to finally get it right. Therefore, if one were to look at my early notes many exceptions to what developed as “the rule” can be found. I left these early “mistakes” as they were so as not to over-complicate what came next. It is also very important to note that most of these observations were relatively subjective and that no more than two traits, or characteristics were ever assigned to any one plant. Therefore, the label “BK” came to stand for “Berry Kush”, or a Kush dominant plant with outstanding berry attributes. It is also important to note that only the most outstanding plant of any given attribute was selected for future work. So the plant that ended up with the “BK” label was the most Berry-Kush of the lot.

So, my f-3 stock became labeled with a two-letter code indicating what the most outstanding characteristics of it’s parent (primarily mother) were, and only those with the strongest expressions earned their label. When the f-3's were grown out and crossed to make the f-4 generation, these labels were coupled to indicate the parents of the f-4 progeny, i.e. BK/FS would be a cross between an f-3 Berry-Kush mother (I always list the female first, male second with a back-slash in between) and an f-3 Fruity Sativa father.

F-4's and Beyond

Consider the label number: 4/5 3 96-2. This is the type of numbering symbol I use to label F-4 and beyond plants. Before we dissect this number I need to point out a few rules that I follow in a breeding project beyond the F-4 generation.

First, I only grow out no more than six varieties at any single time. The reason is to avoid too much confusion. Six is about the maximum number of varieties an individual can realistically keep track of. These six (or five, or four etc.) varieties are then labeled as “1" through “6" (or the number of varieties used). Let’s say the 6 f-3's I use are: 1. “FK/FK”, 2. “BK/PK”, 3. “FK/FL”, 4. “GK/GK”, 5. “PK/FP” and 6. “XP/FK”. Notes are made to record this fact and the seeds are then sprouted and grown using these simple, single digit identification numbers (1 through 6 in this example).

Second, I select only one male from any single breeding project. Again, this simplifies things and avoids mistakes enormously. That male is generally selected at about the third week in the flowering cycle, unless it is a clone from another project. After the single male is selected the other males are removed and the remaining females are numbered according to their variety category (i.e. if there are seven #1. females, five #2 females, etc. they are labeled #1–1 through 7, #2–1 through 5, etc.) The male simply retains the number from its variety label, in our above example the number “5" (in the 4/5), or the “PK/FP” male.

Now we may examine the above example: 4/5 3 96-2. The first two numbers, “4/5" are the variety number of the female first and male second. So in this case that would be: a “GK/GK” female crossed with the “PK/FP” male. The third number in our example, “3" means female #3 from the #4 (“GK/GK”) batch. The next number in the example, “96" is merely the year and the final number is the crop number for that year. So, translated, the number 4/5 3 96-2 is the third “GK/GK” (or #4) female crossed with the “PK/FP” (or #5) male grown from the second crop of 1996.

Please note that the “/5” male-used indicator will be /5 for all of the seeds labeled from this batch as the #5 (“PK/FP”) male is the only one used. If a male clone from a past crop is used it may be indicated by using the #7 in the initial notes (if six varieties are sprouted) and described as the male-clone-used in the #7 description. Likewise, if any of the six varieties tested are from a past clone (female), they may be selected as one of the #1 through #6 varieties, labeled and described accordingly.

It seems complex at first, but I assure you that it works great. The same system is used for the F-5 generation, and beyond. The system merely requires that dated notes be kept and catalogued. That way, any crosses may be backtracked and referenced via one’s notes and a simple, six or seven digit code is all that is needed to label and catalogue one’s plants.

Finally, this system works best for forward crosses mainly. Backcrosses will need another connotation to note their use . The “clone-used” labeling described prior works well for backcrosses involving clones.

This system is good for only one grow out at a time. If multiple grows, or facilities are used then they will need to be noted as well, perhaps with a lettered “A”, “B”, “C” etc. appended onto the catalogue number. Also, detailed notes of each individual plant are necessary to fully utilize any cataloguing system and are obviously required for success. Other than that, I have found this to be a relatively simple and foolproof system for cataloguing one’s breeding projects beyond the f-3 generation.

D.J. Short

5. #25 maulcoy, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
    I must say I'm a little disappointed in the turn out on this thread.....:mad:.Think I'm joining the site that has an auto resources thread already.588 pages worth, all on one thread........

6. By-By[​IMG]

7. Boy's I ain't leaving for ever.Just don't see a reason to rebuild the wheel.The thread has tons of info.I will keep my grow journal here and all just not pushing this particular thread.It's here though so if it grows I will still input.

8. Hey man, there have been several of the big companies to put out Auto's that didn't Autoflower, aswell as fem seed packs that had males.

Sagamartha,
    WOS,
    Dutch Passion

Just to name a few.

I'm not promoting other sites here, but for AF information there are other forums that have AF only sections, and there is also another forum solely dedicated to AF's..

You're welcome to link to my AF SOG grow in this thread, as I will keep updating it here on GC if people are interested?

Cheers, MC

9. Yeah it just seemed like there were a lot of auto growers here.Don't see why they wouldn't pile on this thread.Maybe it needs a little time to grow.Kinda like good weed..........

10. Yeh just be patient mate, I'm sure it will get noticed and added to as time goes by :)

11. Just thought I would keep the thread alive. I'm so proud of my girls. All 5 are flowering as of yesterday (day 18). A couple of pics. 4 Low Ryder #1 and 1 Onyx. I'm not expecting too much out of the LR1's. Just some decent smoke and small plants, but that was the point anyway, right? This is my second Onyx grow and I know it's great smoke. In two weeks I start my Diesel Ryders and try to keep a perpetual grow.

They are all in 1 gallon containers with FFOF. 180w Pro Source LED and 8 23w 2700k CFL's. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. #33 mixedmindz, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
    Ok, I've been contiplating growing autos for the 1 room perpetual harvest bonus.
    The short life cycle is an added bonus.

But, I've heard grumblings from friends that auto's just aren't that good/strong/flavorful.
    Are they all wrong?
    Has the explosive nature of auto-breeding solved early problems with potency?
    I'm hoping for some testimony from someone who's gone more than one round with autos.

Any favorite strains? I mostly hear AutoAK.

Any disapointing stains?

The one part I haven't figured out about an auto/perpetual harvest is the feeding.

I am currently using an ebb&flow table.

would I come up with a blend/middle of the road nute regiment?
    Or am I screwed?

Currently I've been using Botanicare Pro line.

Thanks for the thread on Auto's I think they almost deserve their own Forum.

-MM-

13. I'm on my 3rd auto grow. I have had great experience with The Joint Doctor's fem seeds and so-so with Short Stuff fem seeds.

My favorite so far are the Easy Ryder (AK47 x LR2) and Diesel Ryder (Diesel x LR2). Average yield has been around an ounce per plant dry. Potency is there for sure.

The LR1 I'm currently growing will probably not produce too much bud, but we'll see.

Onyx from Short Stuff is pretty damn potent and a good yielder. Out of 10 fem seeds I bought only 4 germinated so I was miffed, but oh well. I have had 100% germination from The Joint Doctor and only lost 1 out of 15 due to ?. It just died :/

I can't answer your questions about feeding, etc because I grow in soil.

I run a 20/4 light schedule start to finish. It doesn't get any easier than that. Start new plants every 5 weeks and you are perpetual. 70 to 75 days average.

The only downside I can see is having to buy seeds every couple of months unless you do a seed run.

14. Just made my order for a pack of the following: Short Stuff Seeds Super-Cali Haze, Paradise Seeds Vertigo, Short Stuff Seeds Mi5 Feminized. They came with a bunch of freebies (10). Hope I made some good choices.

15. In my grow, I tossed in a Flower Power automatic with my two non-automatic plants.

Heres the setup:
    [​IMG]

a little before harvest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and after harvesting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yielded only about 5g, but it was my first grow :rolleyes:

16. When using cfl's you really have to get that light close like 2 inches away in budding if you expect to yield anything decent. LST would be very helpful also.

17. #39 maulcoy, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
    Nice grow^^^........I sprung for more seeds myself, Yoctown. Got 3 of the mix packs from SSS & got 1 pack of Lowryder.Wanted it since it is a stable strain.Gonna use em in my breeding program.I got 8 freebies myself also.78 seeds for around $280.

18. #40 yoctown, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Nice. I only got 25 seeds overall for $160 (paid for 15). I just wanted some quality autoflowers. They gave like 4 or 5 autoflowers as freebies that were expensive otherwise. I would have gone with the automatic ak47 like you told me but I was looking for something that packed a bit more of a punch and that left me with the easy ryder or the mi5. In the end I chose mi5. Both are decendants of the automatic ak47. I was tempted to buy some afghan kush ryder because of all the reviews of how medical it was. I did A LOT of reading before buying anything. Actually changed my mind at the last second to.