Auto Fem Vs. Regular Fem

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by seantyr, Oct 26, 2016.

1. I apologize ahead of time because I am writing this with voice to text on my phone. My question is if I grow autos vs regular feminized plants I want to have control over the plants so if I want to stop the regulars from growing and I turn the lights down from 18 6 to 12:12 can I control the height thus giving me control over the level of the light height in the grow room last time I grew out autos one was really short and one is still growing huge we're talking like two feet vs 5 feet and that screwed my whole lighting setup so I wasn't unable to get even light on all of the plants because somewhere small somewhere big it screwed me up really bad if I grew a regular feminized seeds can I grow the plants up to like 3 feet then switch them over to a budding schedule at 12:12 and regulate the heights so I can keep all the canopies at the same height that's what I'm after I'm ready to order some new seeds and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some input on how to control canopy height in the grow room still while getting a huge yield any feedback from anyone is welcome thank you so much Aloha from Hawaii

2. I tried to make sense of this, but it's just unreadable. Sorry man.

3. Here let me try again I just grew to Autos one ended up huge and wanted it up small so my life that was 4 feet wide in my little closet grow had to be really angled it like 45 degrees so I can get a little light on the real short one and some light on the tall one so neither plant got really good light it's because I got two different strains of plants it would is there a way that someone could recommend if I should stick with autos and go at the same strain or would it be better to go with regular feminized seeds so I can control the height of them and put them into budding when I want does that make more sense that way I might be able to control the canopy height better than having more of a level light across the whole canopy

4. oh and by the way I'm growing with 20 CFLs

5. Sorry I'm still using Voice to Text for those of you who know what that is and know what that's like

6. It doesn't matter if they are autos or photo fems. The height difference is based on the strains you grow. Your sativa based stains are taller and lanky and the indica based strains are short and bushy you may have some variation in height with the same strains based on the pheno that it is. as long as you grow all the same style (either all indica or all sativa) your heights should be similar and more manageable. If you want to grow both indica and sativa strains I would say you need two grow areas or at least two independent lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Very wise that makes a lot of sense so I will order some new seeds from seed Supreme today and I'm probably going to go with some fem photos of something or others and thanks for your reply

8. If you want to control when they flower then photoperiod seeds (not auto) would be the way to go.

9. Learn to scrog you will love it.

10. If you want to have control of your plants....period, stay away from auto varieties. They are genetically wired to mature on a schedule....regardless of what the grower does. They're finicky, easily stressed and not worth the effort they require, in my opinion, when you compare them to a plant that is vegged for the proper length of time and then flowered. What is the point of growing one of these things if you're not going to get enough from it at harvest to make it worth your time? Get regular feminized strains....sativas are the upbuzz and are generally a taller, more lanky plant. The indicas are shorter and more bush-like, don't like heat and you get a more couch lock type buzz from them. Some of the indica varieties can be a butt to grow, so research out your strains before you get one.
    ow
    The thing that controls EVERYTHING about a plant is the light. If you want the plant to grow taller, you raise the light further away from the plant and it will stretch toward the light. If you want to stop one from stretching, you bring the light closer to the plant which will cause it to bush out more. Any light hours combination other than 12 on/12 off will keep your plant in veg. When you lower the hours of light to 12 and 12 hours of darkness, it tells the plant to start flowering. It takes it about a week to actually transition over and put on buds, but from the time you see good bud production on the plant is the point where you start counting the "flowering time" on the plant. Most will flower out in 8-10 weeks....strains vary. Now, back to the lighting. The light you grow with is the most important piece of equipment you will own and you need to have a good understanding of the importance of it to the plant. It's basically EVERYTHING when growing a plant and each individual plant needs adequate wattage to force it to give you all it's got. I wouldn't try to flower more than a single plant under a 400 watt hps lamp. A 600 watt lamp is good for flowering about 2, but I honestly like more than that. We have 4, 1000 watt hps lamps per flower room and I generally only run about 8 plants at a time. But when I lowered the number of plants I was trying to flower, my yield went up significantly. You can always get more from a single plant that gets all it needs...lighting wise and is properly tended, than you can by trying to flower 3 in the same space. Crowding up plants under a lamp only shades out development of anything below the canopy of the plant, so always give each plant enough space to let all the light into it possible. I haven't done a specific per plant weight in a while, but I get several ounces per plant after harvest and cure...a guestimate would be probably between 4 and 5, where before I was doing good to get a half oz per plant after dry and cure.

You'll figure it all out. It just takes a little time. Luckily, absolutely everything one could ever need or want to know is already logged in the threads posted on this forum. Use the search bar at the top of the "forums" page and pull threads related to different topics. Peruse through journals too. Looking at pics of what other people are doing helps me immensely sometimes. But good luck!! TWW