Authorities Arrest 84 At Mountain Jam (NORML)

Discussion in 'General' started by rumandromanism, Jun 8, 2008.

1. New York
    -------
    CATSKILL - More than 50 concertgoers were arrested on drug-related charges at the Mountain Jam Music Festival held at Hunter Mountain over the weekend, according to state police at Catskill and the Greene County Sheriff's Office.

The two agencies, working with Hunter Mountain Security, arrested 53 people on charges ranging from marijuana possession to possession of large quantities of narcotics, the sheriff's office and state police said Wednesday in a joint statement announcing the arrests.

State police and sheriff's deputies seized large quantities of marijuana, hallucinogenic mushrooms, cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, LSD, Ecstasy, hashish, hydrocodone and other illegal prescription medications, according to the joint statement.

"It's not just the amount of drugs these individuals attempt to smuggle into the event, but the type of drugs as well," said Greene County Sheriff Greg Seeley. "While marijuana is certainly the most prevalent, prescription narcotics and hardcore street drugs are also very common at the event."

In addition to the drug arrests, a New England man was arrested on assault charges stemming from an altercation with security staff.

Authorities said [name redacted], 22, of New London, Vt., was charged by state police with two counts of second-degree assault and third-degree and fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, all felonies, and numerous misdemeanor charges including resisting arrest, menacing and criminal possession of a weapon. [name redacted] was arraigned in Hunter Town Court and sent to the Greene County Jail in lieu of $50,000 bail.

In addition to [name redacted], the Greene County Sheriff's Department held more than 30 people in the Greene County Jail on arrests at the concert.

"Mountain Jam is the largest music festival in the Northeast and it attracted nearly 40,000 people this year. It's a great opportunity for visitors from across the country to see all that the Mountaintop has to offer," Seeley said.

"The vast majority of those in attendance are law-abiding and come to enjoy the music and the festivities. Unfortunately there are those who choose to abuse the event as a venue to use and distribute illegal drugs. These individuals are not welcome in Greene County and they will be arrested," the sheriff added.

State police said that the cooperation during the event was another example of how law enforcement agencies in Greene County work together, in an exemplary manner, to provide Greene County residents safer communities and venues, such as the Mountain Jam Music Festival.

State police and the Greene County Sheriff's Department were assisted during the arrests by Greene County District Attorney Terry J. Wilhelm and his office.

Mountain Jam featured performances by nearly two dozen bands headlined by Gov't Mule, Bob Weir and RatDog, Drive-By Truckers and Citizen Cope.

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v08/n569/a12.htm

2. Shit, aren't there more than a few blades at Mountain Jam this year too?

3. Dan Gleesac and Scooby,

did you guys notice any tough-enforcment of these policies? When I went in 2006, everyone was smoking weed (some even brought their bubblers and bongs :eek:) and the security didn't even seem to care. At first, I was paranoid so I went into the lodge bathroom to roll a joint, but then realize no one cared so pulled out my chillum.

4. It's always the same with these music festivals. The first few years is just kind of lax and a free environment, but as it starts to grow and grow, the locals stop looking at all the money their community is making and just start bitching about it till the cops crack down and set example.

Edit: And here is to Dan and Scoobs, hope you guys didn't get caught in the dragnet.

5. Never been to Mountain Jam but I've been to a few festivals. Some have tighter security than others, but basically what they're looking for are the people moving weight. They don't really give a shit about personal use or smaller amounts, cause virtually everyone there is at least smoking a bowl or two. From what I've heard, Wakarusa Music Festival is the worst. They have undercover cops patrolling all over the place, and even infrared cameras hidden to catch people making deals.

6. Kind of common sense though......There will obviously be cops at a Norml gathering, because cops are nosy and don't mind their business.

7. I don't think they did; the festival's been over for a little while now. Both have them have been posting since then. Unless they didn't tell us about their run ins....

8. Made me laugh...

9. hell yea i noticed the security...i was chillin by my tent smokin bowls and drinkin some beer and i was lookin at the path where everyone was walking i saw this dude talking to a security guy all of a sudden cop rolls up they open up his back pack and pull out this freezer ziplock bag full of shrooms.....had to have been at least a pound....and there was also this guy walking around with a sign that said dont stop on the tracks 200+ arrested already......i didnt have a problem at all...i spent the whole weekend with my chillum packed in my pocket hittingit everywhere and the amount of drugs that was available there might as well have not been security there

10. Actually, there were. I saw a lot of people talking about going to it.

11. Somebody made a thread about being busted for distribution or something at Mountain Jam. I guess he was one of the 50 or so.

12. O'man...I think that is where my daughter is at.I havent heard from her in a few days.Did they give any names or how would I find out.....

13. damn...best of luck with this situation. im willing to bet she wouldve called you for bail money or something similar, i wouldnt worry too much...

14. ... There were loads of people there and only 84 arrested, thats less then most festivals lol.

15. Oh shit, I hope all goes well in that area, man. :wave: