Attic Grow Room Redesign

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by hootchmaster, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hello fellow stoners. Well, it started getting reaallly chilli up in my little attic grow so I decided to take another look at the entire space. Basically, I needed a separate flowering room. That would cut the space in half and will be easier to maintain a more constant temperature and for the heater to work better. I took EVERYTHING out of the attic and used black plastic to segment off half the room. I ended up with 4 intakcs and 1 exhaust for the flowering room in the front part of the house. I still have two vents to work with for my future clone and veg room but I have time to work on that later. I think I also want a separate drying and curing area.

So I ended up with a 10' x 10' x 5.5' flowering room and a slightly smaller space for the cloning / veg future room and curing area. Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures I just took. My MJ is 2 weeks into flowering and hasn't shown much yet but I think that might have been because of the cold. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Attic grows are hard. I stress insulation. Have a look at my CGE thread. It is an attic unit.

3. very nice, I hope to have something like that someday. This is my first grow and I'm learning TONS. How much is all that going to set you back?

4. #4 Don Piano, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
    Around $1500 to $2000, (estimate) (have not done a final inventory but I will once finished.) But it will be worth it.
    You may be able to add a heater up there. How far north are you. Does it get below 0. I have extremes to deal with, 120+ in the summer and -20 in the winter.
    thats not a house huh?

5. you should try building a wooden box like this [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And you should also train your plants man, with that limited height you need to keep them low so they dont get burned or have heat stress.

6. Yes it does get below freezing (was 27F last night) and yes it is a house. But I have a full house of kids etc so using a spare bedroom or even a closet is out. All great ideas that I will have to kick around after this grow. I just want to make it through this grow and learn from it. Thanks for all advise.

The Grow box is a good idea I'll have to consider that.

7. How come there is no insulation up there? I assumed it was a garage because I thought it to be code to have your attic insulated. I'd say then, a long thin box built on a frame connected to the trusses with an entrance on both ends would be a good option.
    I was not refering to using a closet or room for you, I was just wondering if it was in a garage. If it is getting that cold, you will need a heater for at night at least. WHat do your temps go to during the day, and how bout at night (in the grow area?)

8. #8 hootchmaster, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
    Yes, you are right. It is a garage that's connected to the house (but no heating or ac connections). There is no insulation because it was that way when I bought it. I will get some insulation, thats good advice.

It was 50F outside yesterday at 3pm and it got down to 27F last night and it got to 66F in the flowering room during the day and I think it was probably in the 45-55 range overnight. I have a heater up there right next to the plants, it's on auto if it goes below 60F it kicks on and it oscillates back and forth. It seems ok, the plants look good and are growing, I think it may just take longer to flower is all (I hope).

I also need to make sure there is no light leakage coming from the vents. That could also cause it to take longer to flower, or so I've been told.

Thanks

9. Yep, absolute darkness is key, and uninterupted darkness at that. So no peeking:).
    Keep your A-frame shape and put plywood on the sides and insulates the back side of them, seal the seams to the floor with Great Stuff (on the outside) . Cab it out. Temp is a key player in the plant cycle, Too hot they stop growing, Too cold they stop growing, If you are dropping 20degF from your daytime temp in the grow room at night, it will stress the plants quit a bit, and it ain't getting any warmer out there.
    Are you planning to do this there in the summer too? If so, build that cab and insulate it up there before you have top do it in 120degF+ weather. Attic spaces get real hot in the summer, and it will be near impossible to do up there without the insulated cab.

10. hi mate,

if you ever need to visit your plants during their lights off period, you can get a green light which won't affect the plants cycle. Hope all goes well. its summer here now so during the hottest 6 hours of the day i have lights off (18/6) Just match your light cycle accordingly - tht's what i do anyway!

Hope this helps dude!

mallett