Attic Grow, First Time

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sebell, Oct 29, 2008.

1. #1 Sebell, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
    Hey guys, thought I'd share my setup. Suggestions are appreciated.

This setup keeps security as the prime concern, followed by cost. I'd have to say my biggest concern is I feel like this is an incredible fire hazard.

Also, the following pictures are from a cell phone, so I apologize for the quality.

In the deepest part of my attic, I've got two boards laid down, hidden by black fleece blankets (cheap at walmart). I still need to put one or two more up, light still leaks especially through the right side.

[​IMG]

Next is a view looking down at one of the boards which holds the plants. The light is 400W HPS. It is secured by a extendable/retractable hook I found at Lowe's. There's also a small fan which is enough for provide a slight breeze across my seedlings. The ballast can be spotted at the bottom left, and is raised about an inch above the base board by sitting on two additional pieces of wood.

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the plants, and the rest of what I've got up there. These objects are laying on of the boards I've secured up there, and I'm standing on the second, all hidden by the fleece blankets.

[​IMG]

The following two pictures are of a couple plant problems I'm having. Both pictures are of very poor quality, making it hard to see what I'm about to explain.
    The first has a couple of yellow spots on 2-3 leaves. My guess is nutrient burn.
    The second has very tiny, webbed holes along it. My guess is parasites, but I really don't have any problems. There are what I believe to be gnats, but they seem interested in the soil, not the plants.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And thats my setup.

My soil is a mixup of Miracle Gro, Seed Starter (top layer), followed by a bottom layer mixture of some sort of organic soil mixed with Miracle Gro Potting Mix. Unfortunately, both contain those time-released fertilizers. Mixed throughout the entire both is sphagnum peat moss that i ground by hand to a certain degree, to retain moisture.

It can get very hot up in the attic for these guys. I do a 1-2 inch check first for moisture, but they have generally needed watering daily.

Getting electricity to the back of the attic was a hassle. Fortunately, I found a socket near the light on the total opposite side. I've got two extension cords running from it over to the other side.

Estimated Total costs:
    400 W HPS = $110
    Fleece blankets = $50
    Pots, soil, boards, fan = ~$70
    Extension cords = $30
    Total: $260
    That sums up most of the costs. Thats the minimum, for certain at least.

I'm satisfied with it, I believe I could fit a few more plants in there as well. My biggest concern is fire. Two extension cords running across the attic from ONE shitty socket, that is providing all of the electricity back there. You can actually see the plug in one of the pictures up there.
    Fortunately it just got cold where I live (Texas), but I can imagine having incredible temperature issues once spring arrives, since its an attic and a 400W HPS surrounded by black fleece blankets.

And thats my setup! Tips/suggestions appreciated! :smoking: