Attic CFL Grow - Growing Virgin!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MadforBush, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Thanks for the feedback, but ive kinda dedicated this grow to flouros, also they are sexually mature, their lack of height is due to my lighting limitations and inaccuracies in ferting throughout the grow. My lighting issues are fixed now and my ferting is on the ball. Also the hightest point in my attic is about 1.5m (i hit my head when stood up straight in most places) So i cant allow them to grow too much vertically. My tallest is well over a foot and a half tall, i was under the impression that this was fine for flowering? Although they have been growing slowly throughout the whole grow, again this is my fault, and as of wednesday, should be rectified.

Thanks

~bush

2. damn - was I the only one brave enough to demand another light!? :D

dude - your first grow is always a massive learning curve - almost vertical - you can read all the books and scan all the websites but nothing is as good as growing experience ;)

now you have experience with your first grow your next will be a lot easier and less hassle - in fact, i've realised that the more grows I do the less interesting each one becomes :rolleyes:

seeing as you have bud sites on your first grow you should consider that a success and pat yourself on the back because a LOT of first time grows dont even make it to the flowering part - getting any bud to smoke at all is an achievement :smoke: :smoke:

3. Could not agree more. Also stick with fluros man. The can do great things.:D
    Can't believe I have missed this thread until now! I will definitely be keeping my eye on it!

Attached Files:

4. Thanks fellas, i appreciate all the support, its a challenging and time consuming endeavour, but its rewarding in so many ways. Your spot on about this being a learning curve smoke, this little venture has cost a few quid, required a massive amount of research, not to mention the main ingrediant.....love.

I discovered my camera has a macro function on it :p, its made the close up shots a lot better, but i still cant take anything closer that about 6 inches, but i gotta make do, ill post all the pics, but most of them are blurry, i think only one turned out ok.

The first one is the biggest by far, cant really tell on this shot, but you can see the conical shape of the top cola. Before i forget, is it weird that this plant has so much foliage around the top cola? its like its pumped out lots of leaves expecting to grow vertically, but has been stumped because i cant really move the light any higher to help it, least not till my other enviro comes. Just seems like theres much denser foliage than the others.

Im so fuckin happy i have bud, even if its only small for now, i still grew my own bud, rock on. Below are the cola's of 5/6, the other one hasnt really grown at all, and is now half the size of the rest, i increased his nute dosage tonight, hoping to see some change. If he develops some bud ill post it :D

Attached Files:

5. jesus you wer right i tought your plants were gonners on ya half way trough your grow journal good to know that from the advice on this site that noobs like us can save them,impressive grow tho u must b well happy i just hope mine turn out just as good.

cheers for the advice on my grow aswel ive been watering with nutes since sat but am gonna go back to mineral water for the next week n a half at least.dropped the lights at the weekend and transplanted them into bigger pots today will have pics upon wed hopefully.

how do you have your big cfl hanging?? cause i have 2 250watt 2700k spec with no reflectors that im gonna try fit in some how.

6. #106 MadforBush, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
    Yeah they have had some close calls lol, but im not outta the woods yet, plenty of time to fuck up. However like smoke said, by far the best way to learn is by doing!

If i were you, id hold off on the 2700's or use them at a slightly greater distance on the sides or somethin, just to avoid stretching, but it should be fine either way, depends how tall you want them.

Good call with the water, mineral water is PH neutral, meaning you cant really fuck them up with it. I read that a good indicator for when you need to start feeding ferts, is when you have 3ish leaf teirs, not sure if thats right, best way to find out is to ask a veteran, or do some reading.

Thanks for stopping by dude, hope your grow goes smooth!

Oh yeah, to hang the CFL i used cable tacks to pin the cable that leads to the e40 connector, to a beam in the attic, then ran some chain down (anything will do for that really) which hooks on to....are you ready.....a metal coathanger, yep thats right, real professional.

7. yea i read that so decided to just buy it any way its cheap as hell to buy 12l in aldi or lidle yea defo gonna leave it for a while with nutes i wouldnt b surprised if they all get burn spots cause i watered them again today with nutes :( but hopfully they will be ok like wise man your almost there now interesting to see how much you yeild,ill be watching the rest of this grow.

haha coat hanger does the job tho and cost free:cool:

8. the tap water in 90% of the UK is 7.0pH

you're just wasting money on mineral water if you're using it solely because it's pH neutral ;)

9. Oh.....I didnt know that. Just naturally assumed that the UK's government would be poisoning its population in some way.

Learn something new every day!!

10. nice grow you got going on here man!

its all looking good.
    Best wishes for a big harvest!

Sems~

11. Alright there guys and girls! Found a tiny spider web on one of the girls today, which naturally has me shitting myself, trying not to panic just yet though. I read spider mites love humid and warm environments, well my attic is stagnant as hell, and hasnt seen over 65 degrees F for over 2 weeks. Soooo im hoping they will leave me alone. Had a good look around the plant and the undersides of the leafs, couldnt see anything. (please god leave me alone, i heard these fuckers destroy plants)

The friend who gave me these seeds has got a massive spider mite infection, she is less than 2 weeks away from harvest, hope they dont do too much damage before then. However i will be checking for bite marks and webs compulsively every 30 mins for the next two months.

Anyways, here another pic of one of the cola's on the tallest of the six, its not the biggest, but its the best shot i could get on this piece of crap camera.

Ps. If i wanted my pictures to pop up without you guys having to click on the image name, would i have to upload it to a third party host? (imagebucket etc...) Or is there an option on here?

Attached Files:

12. hope that spider thing aint a problem for you,making me worry too im doing my grow in the attic aswel,that cola is looking nice tho cant wait to see them in a couple of weeks.:smoking:

13. Hey guys, i know its a little early to be thinking about this, but i could really use a guide that goes into detail about the transition stage between mid-flowering and harvesting. Just need to know some finer details, like when to start flushing them, and how exactly to sever the plant from its roots.

If anyone knows of a guide, or one of you veterans out there wanna throw me some advice id appreciate it.

~Bushy

14. oh man - stay the fuck away from her grow - seriously - if she has a serious spider mite infection then I guarantee you the spider mite on your grow is from her plants - you only have to transfer a few mites onto your clothes then onto your plants and *BAM*

chances are you've seen one and there are more - you gotta watch that shit or you'll have the same serious problem with the mites

I would consider dealing with the problem of one spider mite as seriously as thousands of them - it does not take long for one mite to become 100's then 1000's - sort it out now with some Neem oil

I'm not trying to shit you up - I change my clothes if i've been out in the forest with the dogs before going into the grow - can't be dealing with parasites sucking on my babies

15. it isnt mites is it man?? shit hoped we couldnt get them in england!

16. any update on your spider web problem?you get it sorted?

17. Had a good look around them today, using one of my cfl's as a torch, couldnt see any spiders or webs, spent a good 15 mins just looking, so if i do have them, they are laying low. I was paranoid cos i went to my neighbours (the one with the infestation) then i went in the loft like an hour later, i changed my clothes for precaution but....paranoia man. It only takes two of the little fuckers.

Anywayz, i now have two of the big boy CFL's up there, as well as two smaller desk lamp ones, pumping out around 320 watts, i should have just gone HPS, but i would have been paranoid about the police!!1

Made some dodgy homemade reflectors too, and re-organised the pulley system, makes life a little easier.

18. Hey guys, tell me if this looks normal to you, the top cola is nice and thick, looks like its coming along nicely. Only problem is, theres so much foliage in and around the bud, its as though the bud is thickening, but not vertically growing, so that its just surrounded by tiny leaves. Its got plenty of promising lookin bud sites lower down, but it just seems like its not developing properly, not like the others anyway, check it out:

Also the tips of some of the hairs on it are turning amber, but i know this puppy aint nearly ready for harvest, wtf is going on? None of the others are exhibiting this by the way.

Attached Files:

19. i have no iddea what is going on with that man, but thats because i have never got to that stage,,,, being in my own grow..... but it looks magnificent even if apparently mutated slightly.... kudos! i think that means well done.... lol!