Attic CFL Grow - Growing Virgin!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MadforBush, Aug 13, 2008.

1. *subscribes*

:wave:

2. Thanks man i took a look at one of those ealier yesterday, wasnt sure though as it says its for tropical fish :p suppose it doesnt really matter though, its all water!

Waiting for the 4 hour dark period to end now so i can go up in the loft and see my babies! If this grow works, and we get a reasonable smoke from it, the missus will let me upgrade to HPS. She kinda has me by the bollox in terms of electricity bills as i start uni in like 8 days, making it a one income household. Anyone know how long u can go from clone to harvest with a 400 watt hps?

3. just so you know - you can mess around with the plants in the dark if the plants are vegging - but they need total darkness in the flowering period

what i'm trying to say is that it doesnt matter if you go in the loft in the dark period when you're vegging - it makes no difference to the plants

4. Ah, so it wont stunt their growth, or interupt new vegative growth? Awesome, thought i was gonna have to buy a green light so i could do some gardening without disturbing them! They are all looking nice at this point, seems to be pretty promising at the moment, i now have 2/6 with non-symetrical branches, and my biggest is just over a foot tall, begging to be flowered, hopefully by next week the others will have caught up and we will be able to proceed with flower, right on schedule, as my initial aim was to begin flowering on the 2nd of nov, exactly two months since i planted them. (Bare in mind lack of light was a factor in slow growth for the first 2-3 weeks)

Only concern i have at the moment is that on one of them the very tips of the leaves, about the last 3-4 mm curl down. Like they are perfectly straight then right at the tip of the fan leaves they point down at a 90 degree angle, will keep an eye on that. Think i read that thats overwatering but i doubt it as i practically dehydrated them for a month :(

Ill post some new shit closer to flower time, unless the above becomes a problem :p

Man i love this shit.

5. lol - yeah I know what you mean - everyone gets into their first grow - it's such a massive learning curve when you first start out

I wouldnt worry about a little bit of curling at the tips - just keep an eye on it

as for the time it takes to go from clone to harvest depends on a lot of factors including clone size, strain and genetics, lighting and a bit of technical ability I guess - but on the whole you're prolly looking at 8 - 9 weeks if you only vegged for 1 week to 10 days - longer if you veg more (obviously)

how's it looking now - got any more pics?

6. I got one, dont really see the point in posting it as there hasnt been an enormous amount of growth, well, to me there is, as i flip through my photo album like twice a day, marking out where the fan leaves are an stuff so i can track growth. Ill upload it anyways, so if you care, you can get a view, plus i need some tips, how long till u think i should flower etc..

Yes. I have issues.

I've decided not to install a fan, as im trying to keep the electricty bill to a minumum, and they get plenty of fresh air as my attic doesnt have the best insulation in the world.

Its just insane how fast these things grow when the conditions are right, the first pic is one from yesterday, at about 2:30pm - The second is from about an hour ago (12:30am ish)

Note the far left one at the back, even though the camera angle is slightly higher you can still see the amount of growth. Oh by the way, the front center one looks droopy on the latest, she needed water, looks fine now.

Attached Files:

7. Duuuuude! They perked right up! Yay! :hello:

The leccy that a fan uses is next to nothing, honestly, it's worth it 'cos not getting one is a false economy. You need strong stems to hold the weight of the giant buds you're gonna grow! ;) I only really used my fan during veg, not so much during flowering but I'm really glad that I did now. If you're worried about your plug situation, can you get an extension with more sockets on it? I have one with availability for six appliances and it works great. :)

Glad all is going well. What strain are they? :smoking:

8. get the 42w cfls, it is equivalent to 150 watts each

9. Well i got yet another 32 watt cfl to go up in the next couple of days, so ill have to look for a 6 plug adapter or just try plugging them into each other, either way ill probably install the fan when i have the sockets. Ill throw some more pics up when i get home

10. I would do MSG220, only its very hard to find that size bulb in the UK. 32 watt is the biggest ive found (without going into more envirolites), bout £4 a bulb and the delivery is cheap :p

Ok so woke up this morning feelin fine etc, stuck my head up the loft shaft and it fuckin stinks in that attic, you have no idea how good that feels, or maybe you do? They are all growing at a fantastic rate now, looking pretty damn healthy too (although i got a couple of leaf probs!11!1)

Rabiez, since you told me to water them...you know....properly, ive seen exponential growth, as appose to peaks and troughs. Which makes me happy in pants. All are 1 foot tall or more, and flowering will commence, as scheduled @ artificial dawn on the 2nd oct.

I've ordered an extra 2700k 125 watt envirolite to compensate for the lack of HPS, its still not as good, but lets see how much bud we can yeild from some decent cfl wattage. Also still havent got a fan as im having problems solving my plug socket issues, i need like a 8 way adapater.

Heres the latest by the way, the picture quality is terrible at close range on this camera, but if you tilt your head and squint, you can see the curled up and browning on the Cotyldons and the small leaves just above them, was thinking perhaps it was a protein (nitrogen) deficiency as lack of nitrogen causes them to extract it from old growth that being the lower leaves.

Attached Files:

11. Can't really tell from your pics, but if it's just the cortyldons turning colour and falling off then this is normal. You may even lose a few leaves above those as the plant gets older. Don't worry unless it starts spreading up the plant. As long as your other leaves look green and healthy you're fine. But you're right that that is how a N deficiency shows itself (in the bottom leaves) so keep an eye on them. :) Did that make sense? I'm wasted. :smoke:

12. Im just a little worried thats all as its the set of small fan leaves just about the cortyldons that seem to be suffering too. Also im a little dubious about flowering in 3 days time as only 4/6 of them have alternating nodes. So id technically be force flowering them right? Which is stressful?

Think i should wait an extra week? some of them look 100% ready, and others seem like they need more time, but i would love to get them into flowering.

13. it does look like a deficiency to me - it's normal for the plant to rape lower leaves for food so you can almost expect to lose a few around the base but it is a clear indication that your babies need a touch more food in their water

try 10% more and keep an eye that it doesnt creep up the plants to higher branches

14. just wondering, but is it hard to controle the heat in the attic? i have heard in the summer, it gets extremely hot and in the winter extremely cold. how have you been controlling the drops in temp during night and day?

15. Well living in the UK means that the weather, even summer is generally very neutral, meaning no nuclear blast equivelent summers, and no arctic winters. Summer hasnt been a problem, in fact ive been more worried about the cold at night, rather than heat during the day. However its gonna be interesting to see how i cope in the winter months. The temp @ night is generally maintained by the cfl bulbs, as they are very close to the plants at all times. Even though CFl's are efficient in that they lose little energy via heat, they still give off enough to keep the enclosure warm. Hoping thats gonna be enough :/

Dosage increased by 10%, lets see if we can fix that difficiency.

Also that extra 32 watt 2700 installed and a fan. The air in the attic is very stale, almost stagnant, the fan may aid in circulating fresh air. Also re-arranged their positioning due to addition light, not sure if i like it though, ill take some pics in the next few days.

16. Ok so money is no longer my problem, and im starting flowering on the 5th of oct at the latest, so i want more light.

Gonna have to buy another ultra length extention cable :/

Does anyone know a site where i can have some 40(ish) watt 2700k CFL's delivered to the UK relativlely cheap? Best site i found was pretty damn expensive.

Updates soon

17. hey dude im starting my grow at the weekend will have a grow journal and pics up then i got my cfl's from here

http://www.aquaculture-hydroponics.co.uk/product.aspx?categoryID=54&subcategoryID=329&productID=1625

there based in england too the lamps start from 125watt and go up to 250 watt, 250's are 55pound but there are a very big lamp, it wasnt till after i ordered that i stumbled across another english company that stock them for 10 pound cheaper,

http://www.u-grow.com/acatalog/cfl-growking.html

dunno if these prices are in your budget or not but hopefully mite help ya out

18. Flowering begins today baby, fuckin awesome. Switched my dual spectrum CFL around and changed most of my 6500's for 2700's. Although just to maximise yeild while not going crazy im tempted to buy another 125 watt envirolite. At the end of the day, if it adds an extra 1/2 ounce it was more than worth it. Also 5/6 plants have alternating nodes, and all but one are over a foot tall now.

Ok so my schedule is 7pm - 7am, i had to move my dawn by a few hours, but i need the cheap electricity rates lol. Also im gonna continue to flower in the pots they are in currently. While i have a feelin this may be a bad idea, im not looking for 3 ounces per plant, only enough to justify the set-up costs of the growth and a bit extra, plus i just got back from my neighbours house, who has a 4 foot plant in the same pot im using, and that is budding nicely, so i hope its not too much of an issue.

All i need now are some bloom nutes, im lookin for somethin like 4-10-4ish right?

These are pics of my babies last night, while they were still in veg. As soon as i see some 12/12 growth ill stick some pics up.

Attached Files:

19. this is the fun part!
    cant wait to see what they grow up to look like.

20. The lights come up on my first day of flowering in 1 hour baby. Im off tommorow so ill have to pick up some nutes, can anyone in england recommend me a good brand? Or should i just pick up some tomatoe bloom high in Phosphourous and low in Nitrogen?

Also does anyone know what the lowest temp marijuana can be grown in? i mean to sucessfully grow, not survive by the skin of its teeth :p