Attic CFL Grow - Growing Virgin!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MadforBush, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Will do man thanks, got a homebase just around the corner :D The pots i bought are 10 inch's across, but i think ill just go straight to the big ones, i mean this wont be the last time i use them, so its kinda an investment. By the way, how old/big were your plants before you could sex them, most of mine only have 2 - 3 tiers of leaves, but they already have those little pod thingies where the stem meets the branches, theres just nothing coming out of em yet, so im thinking another couple of weeks and i should be able to tell right?

Also did your plants stop growing when u changed medium? how long was it before they started growing again? im assuming you noticed cos i cant leave the fuckin things alone, im in the loft 3 times a day :D

thanks for stopping by

2. 3 times a day?! Is that all?! :p when I go to sleep at night all i can see is my plants from looking at them the whole time!! Lol!

I had issues with sexing, I've only just done it in the last 48hrs or so. I couldn't tell until I'd switched to 12/12, even tho I had at least four leaf sets. Sounds like your pre flowers are doing better than mine, so u may be able to tell sex fairly soon.

I started with the 10" pots, they won't be enough man, even though they seem big now. Like u say, it's an investment, I think mine cost about £7/8 each.

My plants didn't really go into shock, if you are careful not to disturb the root ball, you'll be fine, you're giving them something they prefer after all. :smoking:

3. I recommend you hurry with the transplant.
    The quicker you do it, the smaller the root ball, the less nute balls will be introduced into the next pot.
    You could try to flush all the soil from between the roots during transplant but that makes the risk of damage to the roots pretty high I think.

4. When i moved one of my four strongest, i could actually hear some of the roots tearing as i lifted it out, obviously i dont want this but as i could see there really was no avoiding it, anyone got any tips for moving em, Freedom, you've had a lot of practice i see :D got any advice? or am i just trying to get as many roots as poss, while losing as much soil as poss?

ill post some updates with how my freshly transplanted baby is doing.

5. Re-potted them all on advice of you guys, now its just a case of see if they all die or not, knowing my luck ive killed them all. Two of my biggest ones have started to get droppy leaves, which is slightly worrying, any idea what might be causing it? Also the one that suffered burns in the early stages has all but stopped growing, bit depressing really.

Anyway, heres some pics of the grow atm, seems to be going ok, although im still not getting the grow speed that you guys seem to get, its coming along nicely with no hic-ups as of yet.

Check out the one in the middle and the one on the left, their leaves are drooping :(

Attached Files:

6. You've done the right thing man! Look at it this way, if ya hadn't transplanted them, they probably woulda ended up dying anyway! I'm no expert, but I think a small amount of damage to little roots will not kill your plants, I think they each have one root in particular that you've gotta be careful of (the taproot?). Trust me man, they're hardy plants, when did you transplant them? If they're not dead now, i doubt they will die. :)

Allow me to reassure you. Since starting my grow, I have dropped one plant on it's head three times (when stoned) transplanted 50 trillion times, over watered and under watered, over and under nuted! My plants still live. They're tough fuckers I'm telling ya! Needless to say, I shall be more careful next time!!

Droopy leaves could be a sign of over watering, gotta be cruel to be kind.

The slow growth could be 'pot shock' in whic case she'll get over it in a day or two. You will probably see considerable growth now you've given 'em more room. Also what food are you serving? Have you considered nutes to speed and aid growth? They may still be too young, can't remember, how old are they dude?

Also, it's relative man, it seems like it's going slowly 'cos ya wanna smoke it!! Go buy yourself some lovely lovely bud to last you until your grow is ready!

The plants overall look good and healthy. I got impatient, but I'm telling ya, now I've seen my own buds that I created, I haven't wiped the smile of my face for three days!

You're doing great, stick with it. If you nurture them, they will grow. :D:smoking:

7. Also, you could throw more light at the situation, they can't get enough. :D

8. Dude, you've never been more right, friend of mine sat next to me right now complaining its taking too long, i think smoking my own bud will be the sweetest thing in the world. Cant wait for this fuckin harvest :D

Over watering huh? Been doin it every two days, and they were in smaller pots, so i bet your right, ill cut back to every 3 days.

also your a brit right? where did you get your nutes from? i wanted to avoid buying those shitty chemical miracle grow nutes (the ratio says 7-5-5???!!!) i was lookin for something around 20-15-15 or along those lines, couldnt find anything in homebase though, but im happy to pick sumthin else up.

also they are about a month and a bit old. Dont seems to be getting the growth progress that some other guys on here are getting, but they are growing so thats always a good sign.

ive got 2 more bulbs that will take me to 360 watts, but i dont have another light socket in the attic, was wondering if anyones ever tried plugging a extension adapter (the 4 socket ones) into another one, so you have a kinda chain goin on, if anyones tried this lemme know.

thanks for stoppin by

bush

9. What's up, man. Looking pretty good for a first grow! I'm ready for flowering pictures ha. You have any idea when you're going to flip to 12/12? I just started a grow journal myself, check it out if you get a chance. It's labeled Purple Wreck, White Widow, Fruity Pebblels and more... Good luck to you, amigo.

10. hey man. nice first grow! lookin good. just dont forget...weed is well....a weed. and we all know that weeds are tough bastards! so all will be well. goodluck man!

11. Lol, can't help you with your electricity/plug thingy situation bro, I'd probably end up giving you real bad advice and getting you electricuted! That might be a question for 'Absolute Beginners'

Yeppers, I'm from England. :) I started out with some 20.10.10. for veg stage. It worked well but go easy, I didn't dilute quite enough and ended up with a bit of N toxicity. You won't find it in Homebase, have you got a local agricultural shop? (Look in directory for agricultural merchants or farm shop) People use 20.10.10 and similar to fertilise grazing paddocks for horses etc, so a horse food shop would know what you are talking about if you ask for it. PM me with a more accurate location if you want and I can probably tell you which shop!! I'm in the industry! ;) Flowering nutes are easier to find. I'm using a tomato food with seaweed from Homebase, less N, more P and K. Your plants are old enough for a nice light dose. :)

Re: watering, that should be ample. Let the soil dry right out before you water, roots need to breathe.

Hope this helps! :smoke:

12. Just had to post a pic of this one (Mandy) she aint as bushy as my big one, but check out the symmetry and the colour, (steve irwin accent) aint she a beauty!!1 And heres my biggest displaying her droopy leaf syndrome, as freedom pointed out its probably just over watering, gonna leave it till sunday to water and see if she perks up, they are all getting plenty of light now so i dont see any reason why she shouldnt be lovin it!

Attached Files:

13. So far so good. I noticed you had a little bit of stretching at first, but looks like you got that under control now. I love CFLs, because you can put the light a lot closer to the plant without seeing heat stress or burning. Keep up the good work! Peace

DM

14. hmm should have used perlite, harder to over water thatway because itll drain alot faster, pure soil grow may be dry at the top but soggy at the bottom, causing alot of people to over water.

personally im using 60% soil 40% perlite and ive not had a single watering problem.

15. So i transplanted my 4 big ones, but now they have all seemed to stop growing, dunno whether its due to shock, or because its a change in medium. The smaller ones i transplanted about a week before seem to be catchin up, i guess they either need time to adjust and to regrow the roots lost, or i just got unlucky on some.

Havent watered now for 4 days due to droopy leaves (possible over watering) gonna give em a drink tommorow though and see if i get any improvement.

Does anyone know if droopy leaves + slow growth are symptoms of under ferting? Cos ive been giving them extreamly weak doses of a really shite chemical feed, thinking they may be needing some food, any feedback would be appreciated.

Also ill up some new pics tommorow, hardly seems worth it though as only two have changed :(

16. Alright man. Worry not, it's going fine. :) They really don't look bad at all. My personal opinion is that they can easily stand VERY weak doses of nutes and will probably enjoy it. Only increase the amount when you see how they react to it.

They are not that droopy. One is a bit. But I gotta say it doesn't look like overwatering droop to me. Ask the experts on that one.

They may have a bit of pot shock, but that shouldn't slow em down for long. How many watts of light have you got on them? More light can only help. :D

17. I think you may be right dude, about the pot shock, at the size they were it was kinda hard to transplant without damaging some roots. Checked on em just and they have all grown apart from two, also they aint drooping quite as bad. I have 305 watts on them, thought it was more than that, turns out i was wrong :p

ill post in the sick plants forum and see if anyone can come up with some suggestions. They just seem to be growing so slowly, i think its time to up the nute dose and see how they react. I mean, if they aint getting fed they aint gonna grow right? and this MG shite im using is crap.

Anyways, updates

Attached Files:

18. Hey MadForBush you're doing just fine buddy.
    I think we can say you've succesfully done your first transplant!

Here's two tips from a fellow fluro grower, I always veg under fluros!

1. Relax! Sounds to me that you are really anxious to see your plants grow fast. All growing noobs overwater & overnute in their first grow. It's the wanting the plants to go faster which tricks people into doing so. So in essence you are overcaring. Wait with watering until the plants start to show signs of underwatering for it is better to underwater then to overwater. Same goes for nutes, I've started nuting my current grow for the first time after 3.5 months worth of vegging. (to be fair I must add I'm growing in 8 gallon containers.)

2. Relax! Plants under fluros grow slower then under MH or HPS. Especially so when small because plants grow exponentially. This is not a bad thing, you just need to get used to the schedule. Also, soil chemistry is slow. The problem with overwatering and overnuting is that you do not directly see the results of your actions. It can take weeks if not months for signs of overwatering and overnuting to show up, but once the soil is messed up you'll never get that soil right again.

So, by all means, take it easy dude!:hello:

19. thanks for the tips man, although this is my trial run (have another 20 or so seeds in storage) i want these babies to live!! And your absolutly right, i am impatient and i want trees, not plants lol.

Just found out this strain is Califonia Orange apparently and it gives a high as appose to a couch lock. Which is the kinda bud i prefer, so even more eager to 12/12 these babies, but i got a long way to go :p

more updates when i see some growth.

20. Ok its been a while since my last post, simply because i havent seen that much of a change, it seems that some of my plants are coming along in leaps and bounds, while others are giving me the static treatment. Ill get some pics as soon as possible (dropped + broke my camera phone when i was pissed on friday). Just waiting for a new phone.

Im still suffering from droopy leaf syndrome on my biggest, she has a nice thick stem, so i dont think the leaves are too heavy, i water like once a week, so its def not overwatering. And the others dont seem to be having the same problem. So i can only assume theres a government conspiracy, or that either my nutriets are too shit for that size plant, or i have a PH problem.

Was hoping someone in the UK could give me a brand of PH tester thats pretty cheap (im talking around the £20 region). And maybe reccomend some good vegging + flowering nutes. As im going to my local hydro store tommorow to pick up some supplies.

Thanks