Attending TDRS-K launch

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by redhat11, Dec 30, 2012.

1. I was lucky enough to receive an invitation to watch the launch of the TDRS-K Satellite on Jan 29th. I also get to meet the Engineers and other personal involved with the mission, learn how the rocket is assembled and how they mate the satellite to it, tour the launch pad prior to launch, and tour other facilities involved with this mission.

Pretty excited, hoping to get invited to more launches in the future. I plan on taking plenty of pictures/video of everything and updating here.

The launch vehicle is an Atlas V 401

[​IMG]

2. thats cool as hell. how far away are you when they launch it? that would be kinda cool if you could sign it with a little message, meaningless but would be cool to know you put a note up there! are you a scientist/engineer of some sort?

3. Just a regular guy. Not sure how far away the viewing will be, but I'm hoping it'll be a good spot. Supposed to be a two day event with the launch on the evening of the second day

4. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get an invitation? Do you know someone, or did you sign up to something, somewhere? Or did they just randomly invite people?

5. If you look up NASA social on google it should take you to a page on the NASA website where you can register for events as they come up. Not sure how many people try, but they usually invite 30 to 60 people for each one