Atheists, don't you wish God was real?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by PeruvianDank, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Just think about it for a second.

No death, immortality in the heavens, a protective father always looking after you, and more bullshit of the like.

Sometimes, the Universe is way too dull in comparison to the concept of gods -I guess that's why many prefer comfort and happiness than truth and freedom - but at least it is real ;)

2. I do wish he was real but I am not an Atheist I don't just limit myself to thinking there is nothing out there. I am open to maybe someone or thing being out there the universe is crazy enough but I am just to logical to give it a chance. Maybe later

3. What is real?

4. If I had one book for all eternity, I would rather it be a great work than a fairy tale. No, I don't wish God was real.

5. I'm not an atheist, but neither am I a theist.

Do I wish god was real? Not really. Why? Because then I'd be subject to the threat of hell and eternal damnation if I did not follow certain rules that I may not necessarily agree with.

That being said, I don't really find what I wish to be relevant to the truth. If something is true, what I wish does not change that fact. If something is false, then no matter how much I believe in it, that belief is baseless. So I am interested in discovering the truth, that I may know more, that I may have access to more knowledge with which to inform my decisions and aid in my pursuit of further truth.

6. And what if along the way, as you're discovering all this truth, you start to feel that there is something you've not really defined before, but feels more and more real nevertheless? Will you deny it, as many do?

Don't confuse other people's religious nonsense about what god is. Just be ready to recognise it yourself. You probably already do - you just call it by another name.

7. If I somehow discover something new, I'll certainly investigate it as much as I possibly can, assuming I find it potentially meaningful and interesting enough to merit the effort of investigation. Generally, something entirely new would probably merit further investigation out of curiosity if nothing else.

Data precedes theories though. If you start forming theories without first acquiring facts, you tend to twist the facts to suit your theories, rather than adjusting your theories to suit the facts.

8. Do i wish God was real?

If your definition of God is the guy that sits in the clouds and watches everything we do, no.

My biggest problem with religion is why the fuck doesnt God show himself if he wants us to follow him? And dont say some bullshit like "you need to have faith", fuck that. "God" gave us the power to use reason, and my reason tells me that there is no way in "Hell" a guy sits in the clouds and watches our actions, I need to SEE it. If "God" punishes me on judgement day, then so be it, he just needs to remember "he" is the one who made me this way.

9. ...naw, I do like the other Mother Goose stories though...take the Big Bad Wolf, he's such a bad mother fucker thats his middle name, God damn it!...I wish he was a nonfictional character....just imagine it, a wolf huffin and puffin with swine on his mind....blowing shit down!

10. ...here's a good story for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqTH5MtUu4]Christianity In A Nutshell - The Atheist Experience 505 - YouTube[/ame]

11. In regards to the god you're describing, yeah kinda.

12. not a god that runs this world

13. Not really. But then again, if there was one, I'd like the chance to tell him that he sucks at his job.

14. [quote name='"PeruvianDank"']

Sometimes, the Universe is way too dull in comparison to the concept of gods -I guess that's why many prefer comfort and happiness than truth and freedom - but at least it is real ;)[/quote]

I think that our known universe is far more astounding than any god that humans have come up with :)

15. depends on the god

16. when we die, it's going to be fucking insane... wow :smoke:

17. No. Just, no.

"Oh, no! I just ruined my chances of going to heaven!"

Uh oh! I missed church last week. Gotta go suffer in hell forever now"

I couldn't imagine being on my toes all the time. "if I do this, will it please Master? Or will I get punished?"

Without a god, I can just not give a fuck. "Ohp, I just said 'God sucks'. Good thing there's no hell."

18. seems like almost everyone on earth would go to hell so no thanks.

19. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3yb1g30Io]Absolute certainty - YouTube[/ame]

20. I'm fine with the belief of god, I just don't get how people go to church and believe everything the bible says