Atheists/Agnostics/Nonbelievers Who Go To Church

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by F. Fontaine, Jun 25, 2011.

1. It's been almost six years since I've been an atheist. I will say that I haven't seen much difference in my life before and after, with the exception of before I thought I was not alone in this world that I had someone looking over me. Can't say I feel that way anymore. Despite my beliefs, I still attend church services. Why? I still live under my parent's roof.

You see, I was raised in the Catholic tradition, a tradition I have nothing but resentment against for Catholicism and its bi-millennial legacy of injustice around the globe. I turned away because of I was disgusted by its solipsism, ignorance, and intolerance in an increasingly diverse and multicultural world. My mother is a strong believer in Catholicism. My father and I accompany her to Mass every Sunday. My father....really doesn't care for Mass. He and I go to pretty much keep her satisfied. Her reasoning? "It keeps families together".

I've been living a lie for six years. My parents know that I am less than enthusiastic about religion, but they think since I'm young I'll "turn around". I lied to them and told them I'm a deist (a person who does not believe in an interventionist God) just so they wouldn't flip out at me. It's alright if other people believe in other religions, but not my son. After all, I went to religious affiliated schools all my life, so why should I be an atheist, right? My mother blames me going to Harvard right now as a reason I've "turned my back on God". I abandoned religion before I even dream about going to Harvard.

According to my mother it's important that I "have faith". Every Sunday I sit in that cathedral, I feel less than human, pretending to be someone I'm not. I feel like I'm the only one who feels the same way I do in there. We'll maybe miss Mass some Sundays, but not the first Sunday. We have Communion every first Sunday and my mom must never miss that. She believes in all that transubstantiation bullshit.

Maybe one day I'll let the cat out of the bag. Hopefully it won't come as too much of a surprise because if I was looking through another person's eyes at me, I would have seen it from a mile away.

Anyone else feel this way or have any thoughts about this?

2. move out!

other than that.. i'd be honest. but that's me. i gotta big mouth and i speak my mind

3. Well as a "believer" who doesn't go to church....

I would say listen to what he said ^ :smoke:

4. Can't move out just yet. It's not that simple.

5. my family's pretty catholic so it's important to them that I go for things like the anniversary of family member's deaths or Christmas or things like that. Keeps my Nan from stressing out over "my soul" and shit and given that I'm not a catholic it doesn't really make a difference to me whether I go or not so I go to not stress out my family, seems fair to me.

6. It's a long time since, but I merely said that the religion stuff is bullshit and I am having none of it. It caused a bit of strife to begin with, I was 14 back then and ripe for confirmation, which I did not go through.

But as the years passed by, and demarcation lines was set up (basically: religion is not a subject in family meetings, as we all had somewhat different views and level of devotion) it levels down to not matter that much.

Better now than later. Not saying it won't expose some wounds and weaknesses in your family, but if love and tolerance supercedes dogma, you all win. Since you'll all be honest with eachother.

And who can demand more than honesty? Is beeing false better?

7. #7 Rivet, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
    Just honor your parents and tell the truth.

8. i used to go to church to keep my mom happy. but then my balls dropped. why cant she respect your own personal belives

9. lmfao she's blaming harvard?

pretty much saying

your ability to reason caused you to turn your back on god

10. Tell her that's too bad. She can't force you to go to church and believe something.

11. After telling my parents I was atheist, there was a time period where my mom started forcing me to go to church with her, even though I hadn't been going at all before I told them. She was trying to get me to change my mind by dragging me along, I guess. Didn't really get that if you bring an atheist to church it's not going to do anything. But she eventually stopped and both my parents have come to accept it. They don't like it, and occasionally bring up reminders that they don't like it, but since I've moved out it's not like they can say anything.

12. You should tell your parents how you truly feel imho. They will probably be upset but your beliefs are yours and yours alone.

Isn't the idea of transubstantiation somewhat cannibalistic?

13. I occasionally attend a catholic mass. I have friends who are regulars and during special events, it can be a very peaceful and calming experience if you know how to negotiate it social and intellectually.

I find a lot of beauty in Catholic services, I have a deep appreciation for the ecclesiastical ceremony, gothic art and chilling hymns. None of that means I believe in any bit of it. It's a little like going to theater.

Of course I keep my personal opinions on existentialism to myself during these times.

14. I've always thought of communion to be something like that, even if it is symbolic. They don't see it like that though.

15. if what you believe, is what you are, for a spell,
    what is what you do not believe? are you not that? exactly how does this
    "being/believing" thing work again..?

16. You are your actions; you are not your beliefs or thoughts. Although one's beliefs do affect one's actions.

17. nice but, not necessarily true, good thinking though : )

18. How so?

19. depends how you define action? speaking is an action, but is also merely verbalization of thoughts, rather than true "action." Also, inaction may be seen by some as an action or a literal inaction, in which case it defines you, but may or may not be classified as an action.

i agree with saying you are defined by your actions, not your thoughts, though. typing it out, however, i see how a belief can easily define you, as long as you hold it to be self-evident.

20. Yea, a belief can define you; if you believe it is self- evident. But can anything truly be self- evident even our own consciousness or being?