Atheist Paradox?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Outis, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I just thought of this in the shower.

If you claim to be atheist, it means you know there is no god. Any wiggle-room is agnosticism. In order to know there is no god, one would have to be perceptive to all planes of existence, be it all parallel universes or all other galaxies with habitable planets, to know that gods do not reside there. This would make one omniscient. This would also imply that one is a god.

In short, you would have to be a god (or possess godlike qualities) to know there is no god.

Disclaimer: I'm agnostic and against any kind of organized religion. I'm all for personal beliefs, philosophical religions (ex. Taoism, Buddhism), etc.

2. Do atheists know there is no god? No, They just choose to believe that there isnt one.

By your thinking, anyone who does believe in god is also 'omniscient' to claim he is real.

3. You just posited another paradox.

Aha! We're getting somewhere: Everybody is insane.

4. Actually his point was better than yours.

5. Even though you deleted it, I had still read it. No need to be rude, I'm allowed to have my own opinion.

6. I know, it's just a first reaction sometimes. My B.

[​IMG]

7. I am my own god, and as I'm the only god I know, there can be no other god.

8. We good man, just go smoke a bowl and relax man m'kay?

9. But...I am a God.

10. This is the way I've heard it put;

Theism/atheism is what you believe whereas agnosticism/gnosticism is what you think we can know.

So for instance you could be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't believe a god exists but you don't think we can know for sure. A gnostic atheist would mean that you don't believe in god and that we can know for sure that a god does not exist.
    Then you'd have agnostic theist who believes in god but doesn't claim to know for sure, or gnostic theist who believes in god and thinks we can know for sure that there is a god.

Does that make more sense now? :smoking:

11. #11 Postal Blowfish, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    do you need to have omniscience to know that (major spoiler alert kids) santa clause isn't real?

^ what's it called if i don't believe in any extraneous ideas that i can't find a good reason for believing?

i don't say there is no god, i just say:

* the existence of a god most likely has no effect on the way i live my life (certainly none in how i choose to live), and ethically shouldn't if it does exist.
    * life is full of uncertainties, but many things can be reasonably certain. things that are uncertain cannot be accepted on testimony alone, because - intentionally or unintentionally - people lie, even when they're close to one another.

the basic position is that i make a minimum of assumptions, and when people bring up gods i want more than their word. and even when i have strange experiences, i don't automatically go to the god excuse trying to understand them.

12. LIESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

13. i think that equally applies for those who are sure there is god of some sort

14. believing is not knowing.

15. As has been said, theism/atheism deals with beliefs, whereas gnosticism/agnosticism deals with knowledge.

I am All. Therefore, I am he who has been called God. :cool:

16. I'm the God of thermodynamics.

17. I'm the God of God.

18. #18 TheAtmansPath, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    that's a negative ghost rider. atheist. a= not, theist= believer. so it's basically the starting point of a faith. no one is born with faith or a god. atheism is like zero, where Christianity or Hinduism are added to that, like 1. atheism is not a belief. it is a lack of belief. it is empty. then when one gains religion, it is full. it's not asserting one way or the other, necessarily. it is merely the state of one who has no religion. wether or not one is agnostic = not knowing or gnostic= knowing, is not defined by atheism. I do not believe in a "god" presently, but I do not assert there is not one, either. to believe(theism) is to make an assertion, which by definition, atheism cannot.

19. stopped reading there

you obviously dont understand athiest beliefs

20. The Paradox of God and the Science of Omniscience

always more to learn