Atheist Beliefs

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by MJactivist420, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dear other atheist reading this forum:

So recently I confessed to my quite religious parents that I was denying the faith and proclaiming myself an unbelieving atheist. They're quite un-understanding, judgmental people, both very old school with religion. They think atheist are awful people, people with no conscious or morals and that I'll grow up to be some hethern child.. What aggravates me most is that when they aren't at church or around people from the church, they aren't very Christ-like.. My dad was arrested when he was 15 for a DUI, at 15 I was caught with a dime of pot.. See the difference?

I've also heard remarks elsewhere that every atheist out there just tries their very hardest to make life a negative experience, that they're always sticking noses in peoples business that they shouldn't care about. I'm sorry if this confuses you, but I can't be the only atheist that finds this just bafawling..

I have a lot of morals, and as a matter of fact, I feel more sympathetic for more of "God's people" then they do.. I love everyone, men, women, muslims, jews, catholics, gays, lesbians, you get my point, as long as they aren't bad people I love them.. No homo, lol, I have a fiancé. I feel sympathy for starving children world-wide, be it Somalia, Haiti, the Congo, you name it.. They shun me a lot because I don't have a problem with abortion (to a degree). And on the other topic, am I the only atheist that doesn't give a rats ass where people pray? No, I can't be.. If people pray, fine, lettem pray, they didn't give a shit enough to find out if I cared, so I'll just lettem do it and I'll go about my business, be it eating, texting, whatever..

So like, tell me guys.. Atheists, do you feel like mmore open and accepting people then theists of any kind, and do you care if people pray in public? There's my confusing opinion.. Makes more since in person :)

2. Atheism is sort of like a religion, except there isn't any distinct dogma and there is no collective agreement on the philosophical principles of life. If you can live life as an atheist with morals, then why is there a problem. You parents have grew up being indoctrinated with an ideology that is littered with falsehood. You can't blame them, but it would be pretty difficult to make them think otherwise.

I think a lot of atheists feel secure in their beliefs by belittling the beliefs of people who believe in a higher power. If you try to view it all objectively, both sides make sense. I choose the middle way, the word god is an important focal point in my life, it is a means to organize the world into model that makes sense. Atheism just doesn't make sense if you really think about it.

3. do you not see that in making this statement you are doing exactly what you accuse others of.......

or how one sided said statement is?

is it not every one who thinks they got it figured out who does this.....

many humans walk on the backs of others to raise themselves up....
    many for every side of the argument....

by insinuating that it is somehow just the atheists doing it...... you accomplish what it is you are accusing them of.....

:eek:  :smoke:

I don't see the statement as one-sided at all. I didn't say that religious folks don't do the same thing, in fact I think I was trying to point out how similar religion and atheism really is. People are people no matter what, I don't accuse a certain group of people as being the only sole group of people doing something.

The idea is that once someone escapes one system of belief for another, they perhaps have a feeling that the people still left behind in that thinking should not be so "stupid" and should stop thinking that way. I think a lot of people do this. That is why I don't actually like ascribing to a particular system of belief, I might act as if I am, because one cannot discuss anything if they don't believe in anything.

I am a devils advocate of sorts, I will pretty much always find a position contrary to yours just to reveal a point. The problem is people attach themselves too much to a particular ideology, and instead of seeing the merits of both, they are left defending their own.

So essentially, I don't accuse just atheists of doing it. Cool?

:smoke:   :hello:

5. #5 dirtydingusus, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    maybe..... will see if your statement holds up or not over time......
    :smoke:

altho you missed everything other than defending yourself....... makes me wonder.......

6. Hm.. I don't really think less of people who believe in all powerful overlord deity, in fact I think it takes a lot more power to be able to hold onto and swear by the beliefs they and yes I were raised on.. It takes a lot of will powerful not to stop believing, everytime I read more of the bible I find more errors.. It makes it harder to believe it.. So, perks to them for being able to honestly believe it and defend it :metal:

lol

Yeah sure and believing that their is an ultimate power called god that made everything makes sense. 

What made god? I bet you'll just say god is the ultimate power or some gibberish like he's the alpha and omega...well how the fuck do you know this?

The only intellectually honest answer is that we can't know and don't know. To presuppose the existence of an all powerful being makes very little sense.

Well you could call that a fault as well. When you blindly attach yourself to an ideology without looking at it from an outside perspective, you are almost surely choosing a path of ignorance.

I think the person who is curious and searches in all places is one to be praised. Someone who understand not only the negative aspects of a things, but also it's values. Someone who creates a model of the world based on a thorough search of themselves and the world.

Willful ignorance isn't something to be praised, but neither is it a reason to belittle someone.

9. lol

You seem to have an Abrahamic concept of God. Let us put it this way.

There is a specific form of order, a natural law, that has enabled creation to form as it has. A particular concept of God that I will use is one from the religion of Sikhism.

\n\n 

This understanding of God is similar to mine, but there are many others aspects to contemplate.

The concept of multiverses is mentioned many times in Hindu Puranic literature, such as in the Bhagavata Purana (500–1000 CE):
    <blockquote>Every universe is covered by seven layers - earth, water, fire, air, sky, the total energy and false ego - each ten times greater than the previous one. There areinnumerable universes besides this one, and although they are unlimitedly large, they move about like atoms in You. Therefore You are called unlimited (Bhagavata Purana 6.16.37)
    </blockquote><blockquote>After separating the different universes, the gigantic universal form of the Lord, which came out of the causal ocean, the place of appearance for the first puruá¹£a-avatāra, entered into each of the separate universes, desiring to lie on the created transcendental water (Bhagavata Purana 2.10.10)
    </blockquote>The number of universes seems to be uncountable, immeasurable, or incalculable according to the Puranic literature:
    <blockquote>Even though over a period of time I might count all the atoms of the universe, I could not count all of My opulences which I manifest within innumerable universes(Bhagavata Purana 11.16.39)
    </blockquote>Analogies to describe multiple universes also exist in the Puranic literature:
    <blockquote>What am I, a small creature measuring seven spans of my own hand? I am enclosed in a potlike universe composed of material nature, the total material energy, false ego, ether, air, water and earth. And what is Your glory? Unlimited universes pass through the pores of Your body just as particles of dust pass through the openings of a screened window (Bhagavata Purana 10.14.11)
    </blockquote><blockquote>Because You are unlimited, neither the lords of heaven nor even You Yourself can ever reach the end of Your glories. The countless universes, each enveloped in its shell, are compelled by the wheel of time to wander within You, like particles of dust blowing about in the sky. The Å›rutis, following their method of eliminating everything separate from the Supreme, become successful by revealing You as their final conclusion (Bhagavata Purana 10.87.41)
    </blockquote><blockquote>The layers or elements covering the universes are each ten times thicker than the one before, and all the universes clustered together appear like atoms in a huge combination (Bhagavata Purana 3.11.41)
    </blockquote>The vedas express the idea that the universe goes through infinite numbers of destructions and rebirths. Expanding and contracting. The vedas contain incredible knowledge, and many great scientists attest to the knowledge contained therein.

10. I have been bullied by Religious people my whole life, but who cares i'm not the one believing in fairy tales and i'm enjoying my one life doing what i want and love.

11. <blockquote>After separating the different universes, the gigantic universal form of the Lord, which came out of the causal ocean, the place of appearance for the first puruá¹£a-avatāra, entered into each of the separate universes, desiring to lie on the created transcendental water (Bhagavata Purana 2.10.10)
    </blockquote>The number of universes seems to be uncountable, immeasurable, or incalculable according to the Puranic literature:
    <blockquote>Even though over a period of time I might count all the atoms of the universe, I could not count all of My opulences which I manifest within innumerable universes(Bhagavata Purana 11.16.39)
    </blockquote>Analogies to describe multiple universes also exist in the Puranic literature:
    <blockquote>What am I, a small creature measuring seven spans of my own hand? I am enclosed in a potlike universe composed of material nature, the total material energy, false ego, ether, air, water and earth. And what is Your glory? Unlimited universes pass through the pores of Your body just as particles of dust pass through the openings of a screened window (Bhagavata Purana 10.14.11)
    </blockquote><blockquote>Because You are unlimited, neither the lords of heaven nor even You Yourself can ever reach the end of Your glories. The countless universes, each enveloped in its shell, are compelled by the wheel of time to wander within You, like particles of dust blowing about in the sky. The Å›rutis, following their method of eliminating everything separate from the Supreme, become successful by revealing You as their final conclusion (Bhagavata Purana 10.87.41)
    </blockquote><blockquote>The layers or elements covering the universes are each ten times thicker than the one before, and all the universes clustered together appear like atoms in a huge combination (Bhagavata Purana 3.11.41)
    </blockquote>The vedas express the idea that the universe goes through infinite numbers of destructions and rebirths. Expanding and contracting. The vedas contain incredible knowledge, and many great scientists attest to the knowledge contained therein.

</blockquote>prove it

That's all speculation

12. The idea isn't to prove anything, it isn't even about speculation. The concept of God acts as a focal point, it is simply a concept, a word used to denote a particular idea. This allows humanity to organize thoughts and ideas in greater coherence, because the concept of God is used to denote existing phenomena.

There are real attributes that can be applied to the concept of God, and there are imaginary ones. The objective infinite creative of our universe, that part of the universe which exists beyond time and space yet it immanent therein, that is God. God is the parameters of nature, everything comes from God and is contained within God.

What do I prove? That we exist? That existence itself exists? If that is the case, then the most simple definition of God would be simply the force which allows for things to exist. The definition can become more complicated as we discover the sublime truths of the universe, through science and the action of human reason thereon.

13. It's like you're battling a Pokemon and when it's hp get's too low it will do self-destruct.

14. Atheists are misunderstood, not trusted, and accused of having their own religion because most theists must demonize what scares them.   They base their entire life on faith (even though many go so far as accepting it as absolute truth) and when someone questions the things they are too scared to question or criticizes that which they are too scared to criticize, then their world view and level of comfort is assaulted.  The only retaliation they have is to demonize the dissenting voice enough that they can continue on comfortably. 

Atheism makes as much sense as not being a golfer.  The difference is that belief in gods can cause great harm to the world and atheists feel compelled to speak out about it, thus bringing more attention to them and more anger and fear from theists...thus giving them cause to wear the label of "atheist."  If golf caused the same level of harm, golfers would hate agolfers and accuse them of creating their own sport and ruining life for everyone.  

15. I was raised United Methodist, but was pretty much always an atheist.. The concept never really stuck. I was forced to go to church but that was about as far as it went. I'd spend my time playing with matchbox cars and legos under the pews. Never closed my eyes during prayer, was always watching people pray. The best was when I was finally made to go up and eat the "flesh of Christ" and drink his "blood", where people would go up and eat a tiny piece of bread and a thimble sized shot of grape juice to represent.. I took my sip and turned to the next kid and line and say "don't worry, it's just grape juice" really loud, they never tried getting me to go up again.

Several factors went into it. Having a schizophrenic mother who everyone says that the things she says aren't real, but half the shit she ranted about was from the bible and was pretty much the same as what the preacher was preaching.. So it's like "hey, don't believe the batshit insane things your mother says, but believe the batshit insane things preacher man says". Didn't work for me.. Plus in terms of a personal God, there sure is a lack of ability for being this ultimate being.. To me, believing in a personal God is like still believing in Santa Clause.

I was always more interested in what actually makes things work the way they do.. Going with God is pretty much settling on an answer because one way or another, the actual answer escapes you. It's an answer to fill in the gaps of your knowledge. Something like that isn't something to shape your life around, to assign emotional value to..

Solidified even more when I got my first telescope around 9. The actual universe was and still is far more interesting, it was gorgeous. I saw Jupiter, it's red spot, even a moon casting a shadow on Jupiter. Took a lot of effort with a mass produced telescope, but saw Saturn and it's rings. There were times where I spent all night just looking and looking and it was all wonderful. Nothing that I saw in space or in nature on Earth says "created" to me, never did.. The chaos it took and takes to get to this "order" in itself is wonderful, but that's what it is. Unpredictable, random chaos where an order comes forth not because it was created that way, planned that way, or even guided in some mystical manner, but because with all the random events, the constant motion, there will always be at least one "thing" that randomly comes together that is stronger than all the rest. With the constant motion, there will always be this unintentional battle for the top.. but what's at the top looks like it was designed to be there. It's like the people who see the order and call it God do so because they fail to see or ignore that for every single moment of "order" there was several, even seemingly unlimited moments of unguided chaos that it took to get that one helping of order.

I also don't really do long term emotional connections, and the connection to God in any shape or form is an emotional connection.. and with our emotions coming from our randomly chaotic evolution as a means for survival in the animal kingdom, that just means we created this concept, not the other way around. The universe is and always was in one shape or form, man came to be, created the concept of God as an answer for the unknown, but there was just way too much of the unknown in the beginning that God pretty much took over as THE answer. Basically I don't believe there is anything in the universe or our existence that doesn't have the possibility of being answered other than from lack of or destruction of real evidence.. If God is real, we will be able to find legitimate physical, tangible evidence.. even if it takes us a few million more years of evolution to be able to get where we can observe real data and evidence of God. But we won't because God is put on a pedestal beyond the entire concept of proof and that's horseshit. It's basically assigning an emotion belief, a feeling, to a part of man's imagination.

I sometimes say that I don't think of religion as delusion, but as a coping mechanism for the ignorance we all share.  But as scientists answer more and more questions, the magnitude and power of the questions is diminished and the perceived power of their god with it.  They must realize that if that is allowed to continue, people like them will be in the minority eventually.  So, although you sometimes see some people say things about teh gay, we mainly just see trolls about evolution.  The attacks on schools may use teh gay as an excuse, the effect is actually an attack on science looking to stunt its development among the young.

I think it is the power of science to bring answers to face questions and the implication that has for a coping mechanism for universal ignorance that draws theists to label science as the 'religion' of atheism.  Or the 'cult' of science/atheism or whatever foolish trolls have said in the past.

17. #18 Uncle_Meat420, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013

So instead of calling it god why not just say "its how the universe/everything  is"

I don't see the relevance of this concept

18. Because it is God, the God that I grew up with. I didnt grow up with an Abrahamic concept of of god so I do not entirely understand wwhere most of you are coming from. God and science has never been separate for me, how could it? Science gave us the ability to see truth and to me it was my favourite thing in the world. I would love watching magic school bus and bill nye the acience guy. My mom was a chemist and I'd always ask her to buy me encyclopedias and other books of knowledge because that is what gave me excitement.

God was never a separate concept from science, they were never at odds and they still are not. To me god is the ultimate truth, the most fundamental force behind all of creation.

I grew up with simply understanding that god is the model of perfection, the establishment of order. To me there is no such thing as chaos, only the illusion of it. Everything in the universe works in such a complex set of interactions that we get this, what you see around you.

You might find it unnecessary to have the concept of God, but I find it necessary.

19. #20 dirtydingusus, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    hey pie...... there is no order without chaos..... :cool:

how would you even know what one was without the other to compare......