Atheist are stupid for thinking something came from nothing?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by duck hut, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Furthermore, do not call out religious people based on their belief in a god. You can not disprove their god exists, the burden of proof is on THEM. Atheism is the default position of every human being.

2. we have a pretty good idea of how things work.
    and to date it doesnt require a god of any sort.

3. Well, we could say that god has a god, and that god has a god, and that it just goes back infinitely, just as we could be considered "god" to an blood cell in our body, so it can go one way or the other, infinitely smaller from our point of view or infinitely bigger from our point of view.

However, we also have to keep in mind that we experience time. Couldn't we contemplate the idea that time doesn't exist on a higher plane of being? It is hard, perhaps impossible to wrap our human minds around but it is an interesting concept. Not something we can say is true, nor do we have any real reason to believe otherwise, but it is another intriguing viewpoint to consider.

4. I really hate when people say "babies are born atheist" because it's not true in the slightest sense. A question that every little kid will ask at some point is how did everything get here, they aren't "default" to think "oh well everything just came from nothing for no reason".

5. It's not as difficult as you think when you put in to perspective that time and space are one interwoven fabric of the universe, and until the universe was created (ie the bigbang or other means) that time simply did not exist. There was no eternity, there was no forever. It's also an interesting speculation that this is what the afterlife/heaven/hell is. A timeless place in which we exist.

6. i think he meant that babies are born without preconceived notions about religion.

7. That still doesn't imply an atheist, and I've heard a lot of people use that line about babies ever since whoever said it and they blindly believed it without thought of how curious children are. Babies are not atheists, if they were they would never ask about how we got here they would just go "oh well it's perfectly obvious that everything came from nothing with no meaningful cause and all is worthless in the scheme of actions as nothing matters and we all just die to lose everything." lol

8. #68 m00zix, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
    Let me put it this way: Do you believe in leprechauns? No? Why not? Because there is no evidence to support such a claim? You may be thinking, "well I see the analogy, but at the same time you can not disprove the existence of leprechauns." So according to this logic, the default position is there is no proof there is leprechauns so I had better believe in them until evidence they do not exist is otherwise presented.

Is the default position to believe until it is disproven or to disbelieve until it is proven? Why then would you use the logic process for every other aspect of your life, but when it comes to the most important question you decide to use faith! This is no exception.

9. wait, who says that?

10. God must first be explained to them in order to form an opinion on His existence. The default position is no position.

11. Funny thing about leperchauns actually, even the whole "gold" thing associated with them, but I'm not going to go into that. I'll just say that behind every fairy tale is something quite true. I've stopped getting into debates about proof though, but my belief in God has nothing to do with what OTHER people think, sorry for not being a sheep.

And to the guy above me, I was being...... sarcastic? I don't know what you would call it. You could check out one of the many "life is meaningless" threads though made by atheists in this section from time to time.

12. #72 dirtydingusus, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
    EDGE: THE END OF TIME
    anyone who takes the time to really look into it finds.....we really dont know
    ;):smoke:

tldr/

13. And that is Atheism, my friend. Atheism is not a religion. If it is, then non-stamp collecting is a hobby!

14. Actually agnosticism is no position. In order for you to NOT BELIEVE in God, you have to know what God even is first. Agnosticism just means "don't know".

15. You wholly evade the logic presented and create excuses as the foundation of your belief. This is unacceptable in a normal, functioning society.

16. You then, are a non-stamp collector. Have fun with your book of non-stamps!

17. well im sorry that sarcasm is not easily detectable over the internet.
    have funnn

18. To my understanding atheism is the theory or belief that God does not exist which is a position.

19. #79 MrGreeen, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Nothing is not something. Nothing is a word to describe what nothing is just emptyness. Something is something physical.

20. As I previously explained with my leprechaun rebuttal, the burden of proof is on those with faith, hence Atheism is the default position.