Atheism Is A Faith Based Position

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by mrgoodsmoke, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Atheism, as I understand it, isn't the "belief" that there isn't a god it's just the lack of belief in current theories. There might be a God, there might not, we don't know. And until we have more information we're staying out of this.

2. Me too. I think both atheists and theists are all a bunch of faith-mongers.

None of them really know.

3. #603 aero18, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    You think incorrectly. Atheists are the polar opposite of theists. Atheists do not believe in gods and do not assert that gods definitely do not exist. Theists believe in personal gods and do assert that gods exist.

Theism is a faith-based position whereas atheism, which is simply the lack of a belief in a god, is not.

Those who argue otherwise do not understand atheism or confuse it with Strong Atheism.

4. Atheism is such a FAITH BASED religion it's absolutely insane. To be a true atheist one must have really looked long and hard for the answers to conclude and have faith that there absolutely is no god; just like a true christian, jew, etc must do their own deep introspective looking/learning to decide if they have absolutely faith that their is a god (and lets face it, more than half than any of you guys w/ a proclaimed (lack of) religion do hardly enough looking/learning) - having an absolute (dis) believe in a god is a leap of faith, as nobody knows the answer - it can't rely on proof, thats why it relies on faith. Both ends of the spectrum go through the same process to come to their ultimate conclusion/belief

5. Please, no... not again.

6. You must not know what atheism means if you think that in order to be a "true atheist" you must believe that "there absolutely is no god."

If that's the case there are almost no "true atheists"

Which I must have posted almost 10 times...but just to say it AGAIN to another person who is ignorant on atheism.

7. almost no true atheists eh? that begs the question why the term exists in the first place. all you do is suggest that most self proclaimed atheists are actually agnostic atheists, which seems to suggest that they do not understand the terminology behind their own self proclaimed views which makes me wonder, why should they be taken any more seriously than theists, when considering that both atheists and theists make a leap of faith that agnostics are intelligent enough not to.

8. It's pretty characteristic of theists to ignore facts or explanations. They've been taught to come up with their own interpretation on everything. So even though we atheists keep saying that we don't dismiss the concept of god entirely and instead wait for objective evidence to come to light, the theists will keep asserting they know our position better than we do :rolleyes: and NFloyd's post is a good example of that.

9. Isn't agnosticism a faith based position?

There either is or isn't a God... there is no room for maybe. It's literally impossible that there might be a God.

10. It is you all who are forcing us to redefine the word because no matter how many times atheism is explained you persist with "no, atheists are 100% sure god doesn't exist!"

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive.

Will you ever understand?

11. where do you get that from? and i'm sure most theists have done much less of that then your average atheist.

12. it's all semantic garbage. a disbelief in god and a belief god doesn't exist are the same thing.

13. Your argument gains merit as soon as you disregard the possibility of the flying spaghetti monster, the 18 legged purple fire breathing unicorn (whoever coined this on this board, :laughing:), Nessy the Loch Ness monster, Sasquatch, etc, etc. All unnecessarily silly concepts. Prove none of those exist. :rolleyes: Considering the possibility of those existing, which by your definition you have to - is beyond absurd.

14. You only have a problem with it because you fail to grasp the concepts, and that agnosticism is a statement about knowledge, not belief.

15. But those things could exist in another galaxy, or better yet, because they have been thought up they do exist in another realm, the dream world. Physical manifestations are not the only form of existence.

16. There is no problem with the term atheism. YOU do not understand what atheism means. Agnostic atheism IS atheism. It just qualifies what we mean by atheism. What you're saying is as silly as saying baptist christianity isn't true christianity. It is, it's just a type of christianity. So too is agnostic atheism just a type of atheism.

17. i understand what agnosticism is and it is a reasonable stance to maintain. atheism and theism however go beyond the notion of whether or not knowledge is possible and assert their position one way or the other. like i said, a disbelief in god is the same thing as a belief god does not exist.

all of this strong atheism weak atheism agnostic atheism talk is splitting hairs. atheism and agnosticism are both words that exist with definitions independent of one another. if you want to combine the two to create a less rigid outlook for yourself, that's fine, but the title of this thread is not agnostic atheism is a faith based opinion.

18. Yes, just as a disbelief in flying, talking vaginas and a belief in flying, talking vaginas are the same thing. The e-x-a-c-t same:rolleyes:

19. The physical realm is the only one we can observe and falsify, there's no point in pondering anything else.

20. Well then the title of this should have been strong atheism is a faith based position. Atheism can be a blanket term too, much like christianity.