Atheism Is A Faith Based Position

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by mrgoodsmoke, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I edited my post for clarity. I was mostly talking about people who aggressively assert that there is no god and god can't exist. I think to say absolutely there is no god while further observations could be made one day requires as much faith as saying absolutely there is.

That's different from if you simply don't believe something because you have no reason to.

2. I believe god cannot exist. I believe he is a human construct.

The same as that I don't believe in elves, fairies, magic, mermaids, etc.

3. And that's the difference between strong and weak atheism. Most atheists I would assume are weak athiests.

4. I find the concept of god contradictory. It requires no faith on my part. (edit- this is where I think you went wrong)
    I am who your describing, postal. There is no 'god'.

5. See: Agnostic.
    ;)

6. #46 Et Cetera, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010

Agreed, that's what I'm not understanding. So in order to be free of faith, you must believe that everything that can be imagined does exist and that nothing that can be imagined doesn't exist. That's how you avoid believing without evidence? Believing in everything? What is this, Alice in Wonderland?

7. Your point and the argument itself are not the same thing.
    As I said there is no decisive answer to whether or not God exists.
    I agree, it seems EXTREMELY unlikely that any of it's true ,and personally don't beleive. But you can't say something no-one knows does or doesn't exist, not 100% anyway. Which is why the argument is retarded, because it's the same shit being repeated over and over again to no avail.

To the atheists - The best answer that can be given is that it doesn't really matter to atheists whether or not theists beleive it's a religion, as the atheists asserts that all there is no real basis to any religions. The thesists only know belief as it's how their eyes see everything, you can understand why they assume you have faith.

And to theists - What does it matter whether or not it's a religion if you beleive everything other than your own viewpoint as false? Seems like classification for the sake of classification. Atheists view all forms of belief as incorrect, and try to base their views on life from what can be seen, not what can assumed. Surely you can see that it's not a belief to only accept what you see?

Personally I don't think it is a belief, it's gathering data and forming a view from what can be seen, gathered or experienced literally, not subjectivley.

8. open your eyes atheists
    look at the beautiful world
    do you really think it could be a big bang
    make everything work so intact

9. Oh my fucking balls. The only way I could KNOW God doesn't exist is if I knew all that exists, both naturally and supernaturally (if there were such a thing). Currently, that's fucking impossible. Therefore I can only believe that God doesn't exist. I am not claiming to have knowledge that God doesn't exist. I am Agnostic-Atheist.

10. QFT

Thhat was what i was trying to get accross, just phrased a lot better than I did
    it.

11. No, it isn't. It is the lack of belief in gods, which is much different from a lack of belief. A lack of belief in gods is in itself a belief, namely a proclamation that "Gods do not exist."

Just because you state your opinion conversely as "I lack belief in gods" doesn't mean that you are suspending judgment and don't have a belief regarding the matter. Like I said before, "I lack belief in gods." is identical to "I believe gods don't exist." The only difference is that in the second the word "lack" and "belief" are in misleading proximity to each other.

Agnostics truly don't have a belief regarding the matter, and their statement is "I don't know whether gods exist or not."

The OP never said atheism is a religion. He said it is a position that proclaims knowledge without any reason, which it does.

12. I already explained this:

13. The OP is correct. Atheism itself entails a fair bit of faith. How? Well, atheism itself says that there are no such thing as deities. How can you be so sure there are no dieties? You can't know, and therefore, atheism's claim as a 'logical' belief is not logical, it is very much founded in faith.

Most people who claim they're athiests are not actually athiests, they're instead agnostic athiests. Agnostic atheism is what it sounds like, you don't believe in God and realize there's not sufficient evidence to support his existence, however, you also realize that you are a fallible creature and cannot TRULY know. We cannot currently prove or disprove the existence of a God.

14. Thank you defining MY beliefs for me. I was so lost before I found this forum.

You silly atheists, here's what you really believe... :rolleyes:

It's really simple:

I'm an atheist because I don't believe in a god. I'm not an agnostic because god, and the pondering of him/her, plays no part in my life. If god showed up on my pancake tomorrow morning, I'd be willing to change my mind, but until then? Nope. Nothing.

Faith is a belief.

Atheism is a disbelief.

By it's very definition, atheism is the OPPOSITE of faith. The dictionary is your friend.

15. You have faith that god doesn't exist, based on your evidence. You have faith in your evidence.

If there is a god he designed a fool-proof system: in the end everyone has faith.

16. Again, saying that you disbelieve in God is the same as saying that you believe God doesn't exist.

I can just as well say that I disbelieve God doesn't exist. That doesn't mean I don't have to have evidence to back my belief.

And why don't you believe God exists? Because there is no evidence? Maybe we just aren't smart enough to have that kind of evidence yet... seems awfully presumptuous to assume that the evidence will never arise.

17. It's not faith, it's the lack of it.

Do you believe in faeries and unicorns?

Serious question.

18. When I say faith I mean the actual word 'faith' as in the act of believing in something. Not with the silly religious connotation.

19. No, because there is no empirical evidence. The existence of faeries and unicorns can be determined empirically; determining the existence of God is much more complicated.