Atheism has increased fivefold in United States (1 in 20 Americans)

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Bluntzilla420, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Depends on what is right. Maybe you end up reminded of how wrong you were until forever.

2. This number will continue to drop I reckon, probably to 50-55% in 10 years. Once all the old folks in the south die.

3. I love atheism. It's my only faith in humanity

4. That statement cracks me up.

5. Ok I'm not quite understanding, what do atheist actually believe in?
    Because I'm pretty sure science is also base upon therioes. Not all but some. So how does it make the bible fiction? Have any of you ever read the bible?
    It is actual science fact maybe it's just reworded it terms our ancestors under stood. Please explain scientifically how homo sapiens came about? Weres your missing link? How does our brain size triple insuch a time that would have took millions of years on the evolutionary scale.

On another note gods have lived among men in olden time the Greeks/ Romans / pagans what about the kitchanas for the American Indians your telling me all the variaty of religions are false? So many different storys yet all of them all have the same story just different names and places? Science has it's faults also so don't go preaching sience when you think "the big bang theory" started it all. (as one said I am just generalizing) because remember there is alot of theories out there and that one is just as good as the next.

Please post more informative responses other than fuck god and all other arrogant comments,if not it just another uneducated argument of I'm right, no I'm right.

Ps why do 3 major religions follow the old testament then? It is the people who pervert them throughout history. Religon coincides with history and through history will we advance in science!

6. [quote name='"tonerboner"']Ok I'm not quite understanding, what do atheist actually believe in?
    Because I'm pretty sure science is also base upon therioes. Not all but some. So how does it make the bible fiction? Have any of you ever read the bible?
    It is actual science fact maybe it's just reworded it terms our ancestors under stood. Please explain scientifically how homo sapiens came about? Weres your missing link? How does our brain size triple insuch a time that would have took millions of years on the evolutionary scale.

On another note gods have lived among men in olden time the Greeks/ Romans / pagans what about the kitchanas for the American Indians your telling me all the variaty of religions are false? So many different storys yet all of them all have the same story just different names and places? Science has it's faults also so don't go preaching sience when you think "the big bang theory" started it all. (as one said I am just generalizing) because remember there is alot of theories out there and that one is just as good as the next.

Please post more informative responses other than fuck god and all other arrogant comments,if not it just another uneducated argument of I'm right, no I'm right.

Ps why do 3 major religions follow the old testament then? It is the people who pervert them throughout history. Religon coincides with history and through history will we advance in science![/quote]

I am an atheist and personally don't have a theory as to how or why we exist. I find it illogical to believe in the God I was brought up to believe in because it's just childish. I don't believe that Zeus was the king of the God's or anything like that as most don't because those stories are just too far fetched. That's how I feel about the bible.

Also, different religions have huge differences especially monotheism vs polytheism. I don't think you can get a Christian to believe that their religion is more or less the same as Hinduism. I understand that some things are common but there are still huge gaps where things are different. And yes, I do believe that all of those religions are wrong.

I would in no way say that the bible is "science fact" only reworded. I'm pretty sure there's no science behind 5,000 people eating until they were full from something like 2 fish and 5 baskets of bread. "Its god he can do anything" doesn't seem like a very good answer to me. 3 religions can be based off of the old testement, that doesn't mean that they're right, it means many people believe it. Most children in America believe in Santa Clause, religious people just haven't grown up. That was a bit rude, I apologize.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions.

7. Atheism on it's own has no religious beliefs. But you can always add onto it with some spirituality like anything else.

Gnostic Atheism believe whole heartily there are no Gods at all. Agnostic Atheism think there is no God but believes they could be proved wrong, and of course would change their mind in such a scenario.

8. #108 HookedonPhonics, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    Ok, i'd like to begin by stating that atheism is not a faith - we do not "believe" in anything abstract, we base our understandings and dispositions on empirical evidence which can be corroborated.
    Secondly, i believe you are misinterpreting the definition of a theory. A theory is a conceptual framework used to describe observations based on evidence, it can then be used to predict the workings of similar aspects of reality. Gravity is still a theory for instance, yet i do not believe you'd risk jumping out of a building because a theory remains merely a fickle ideal.
    The Bible is different from a scientific theory because it cannot be substantiated by demonstrated methods, no-one has since been able to part oceans, convert water into wine via telepathic means, invoke plagues, talk to serpents or walk on water without technical apparatus. Many of these things are in direct violation of the physical laws we depend upon and recognise, which is why they act as testament to the fictitious nature of the Bible and not "scientific fact reworded".
    Similarly, there is no evidence in favour of Greek or Roman deities and their mythologies are far more credulous than more popular religions. Your assumption that religions are similar could actually be suggestive of how impotent the human imagination is, or just because word of mouth was the only prominent means of communication before the contemporary inventions. Furthermore, while many areas of religion do have comparable ideals, they are also distinguished by many themes; reincarnation, notions of heaven and hell etc - thus your reasoning is fallacious, as well as the argument from authority and popularity.

There is myriad of evidence in favour of the evolutionary process, and homo sapiens are widely documented by this. The information can be found quite easily, fully accessible and referenced:

Evolution of Modern Humans:  Early Modern Homo sapiens
    The Evolution of Homo sapiens
    Homo sapiens
    BBC - Science & Nature - The evolution of man

The Big Bang theory has more integrity than religion because, again, it is supported by evidence - the hypothesis wasn't purely conceptual, it was predicated by phenomenon that lead inquiry to the discovery of the primordial conditions of the early universe. Granted, it remains simply a theory; however, this does not mean that religion is more valid by default, nor does it warrant the leap of faith required to accept a deity as the architect affirmed by dogmas of religion. Logic defies this, and as a rationale species we should assert a reasoned perspective.

9. The term "athiest" broadly refers to their lack of belief in any deities. Beyond that, there is no consistent epistemological system to which atheists adhere. It's highly individualized, but many turn to rationalism, humanism, anti-theism, secularism, etc. etc.b Not all atheists believe in evolution or string theory.

The term 'scientific theory' has a different meaning that how we commonly use the word theory. A scientific theory is an explanatory model developed from observable and documented facts. Gravitation and Electromagnetic Radiation and Microbiology are all theories. They are also facts.

It makes pretty extraordinary claims, many of which are demonstrably incorrect.

Yup.

Well sort of, it's just the Abrahamic creation myth. There are hundreds of variations of creation myths spanning cultures across the world. They change over time, and they reflect the symbols and values of the culture they originate from. At least that's what anthropologists think.

Here you go!

This has some interesting comments on the current approach to the idea of the "missing link". It's not a scientific term, and it represents a misunderstanding of how evolution works.

There are a few really good hypothesis that give explanation to why this took place, and the solution is like to be more than any one variable. You don't need any supernatural entities present to explain it.

"False" is a relative term. Religions have function and meaning and value.

It's called a narrative... also much of abrahamic religions are all inter-related. Is it a surprised they'd converge on similar themes?

Science ain't preached, it's disseminated.

I'd like to share a literary excerpt with you. It'll be far more succinct and exhaustive than me:

"We humans long to be connected with our origins so we create rituals. Science is another way to experience this longing. It also connects us with our origins, and it too has its rituals and its commandments. Its only sacred truth is that there are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. Whatever is inconsistent with the facts -- no matter how fond of it we are -- must be discarded or revised. Science is not perfect. It is often misused. It is only a tool, but it is the best tool we have -- self-correcting, ever changing, applicable to absolutely everything.

With this tool we vanquish the impossible; with the methods of science we have begun to explore the cosmos. For the first time scientific discoveries are widely accessible. [...] We have learned to value careful observation, to respect the facts even when they are disquieting, when they seem to contradict conventional wisdom.
    "
    -- Carl Sagan

One is not as good as the next. Not all ideas are equal. What is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Right on! :p

I'm not sure I understand the question.

10. ^^^

That post should serve as an FAQ/sticky for "What do atheists believe in?".

11. [quote name='"Bluntzilla420"']American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

"The Religion News Service reports that, to go along with the jump, just 60 percent of Americans now identify as religious, down from 73 percent the last time the Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism poll was taken seven years ago. The decline has also been felt in many other countries around the world, including double-digit drops in several European and North American countries."[/quote]

Thank Darwin!

I seriously can't wait for the age of reason. Not that any problems will be solved LOL.

12. [quote name='"tonerboner"']Ok I'm not quite understanding, what do atheist actually believe in?

Ps why do 3 major religions follow the old testament then? It is the people who pervert them throughout history. Religon coincides with history and through history will we advance in science![/quote]

Dude really? Here this video explains it all

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

13. [quote name='"cranegame"']

I am an atheist and personally don't have a theory as to how or why we exist. I find it illogical to believe in the God I was brought up to believe in because it's just childish. I don't believe that Zeus was the king of the God's or anything like that as most don't because those stories are just too far fetched. That's how I feel about the bible.

Also, different religions have huge differences especially monotheism vs polytheism. I don't think you can get a Christian to believe that their religion is more or less the same as Hinduism. I understand that some things are common but there are still huge gaps where things are different. And yes, I do believe that all of those religions are wrong.

I would in no way say that the bible is "science fact" only reworded. I'm pretty sure there's no science behind 5,000 people eating until they were full from something like 2 fish and 5 baskets of bread. "Its god he can do anything" doesn't seem like a very good answer to me. 3 religions can be based off of the old testement, that doesn't mean that they're right, it means many people believe it. Most children in America believe in Santa Clause, religious people just haven't grown up. That was a bit rude, I apologize.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions.[/quote]

Im Christian and believe Christianity is more or less the same as every other religion.

And I'm not agreeing with the dude you quoted, I believe in science lol

14. #114 tonerboner, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    First and formost thanks for keeping it civil. I've been trying to talk to different people to get different views. I'll like to start off by saying I am on a phone and really hate it so I'm going to keep it simple and short I'll be checking often.

Ok so your only argument was that the bible, although other that what you can't understand is false. Like you said walking on water,water to wine, the flood, Moses Ect. Right? K and as you said defies all laws that we know today.
    See this is a endless argument because tomorrow we'll be able to scientifically explain it. Jesus born to a virgin? Nothing more that artificial ensemination, Sodom and gamorah can be a nuclear explosion, Noah, DNA preservation. They did not understand what they saw and wrote as divine intervention. Listen to your own excerpt use science as a tool to increase your knowledge and humanity instead of trying to use it to disprove some one else's beliefs . Because arnt you doing as the regions you hate? Fighting/killing /arguing over your neighbors beliefs not trying to help one another understand each other. It dosnt make sense what you( again generalizing) are trying to accomplish.

150 years ago it was a joke to go to the moon. Were are we now? UFOs defy the laws of physics, yet we try to understand there way of propulsion ? It's advancement we are after is it not? Instead of trying to prove your point In A deity or god or unicorn why dont you try to figure out were you came from and why is it that humanity came up with Religon. Humanity is young in the view of the bible or evolution so we still have a long ways to go.

A majority of scientist, anthropologist , scholars choose to keep their Wacky out of this world theories to themselves because of rridicule not only from Religon but mainstream science and media.

Sam spade I m lookin foward to your repsone as well as the rest of you

I just read the article on Darwinius, and you can put stuff out there that's not fact even they don't agree that it is the link.

Quote from paper:
    Actually, I didn’t ask Beard or Fleagle those questions. That would be a bit ridiculous. No scientist, including the co-authors of the Darwinius paper, would ever pretend that they had found a single fossil that was “the” missing link. For some reason reporters (and apparently television producers) are obsessed with the idea, as I wrote about long ago when another primate fossil was touted in a similar fashion. Newly discovered fossils are important instead in helping to resolve the order in which traits evolved, and how groups of species are related to one another. And the more fossils that are discovered, the clearer these pictures become.

15. [quote name='"dankydankk"']

Im Christian and believe Christianity is more or less the same as every other religion.

And I'm not agreeing with the dude you quoted, I believe in science lol[/quote]

Lol fair enough. May I ask why, if all religions are basically the same, you feel Christianity is the religion for you? And I can only assume you think its the "right" religion? I've always wondered what made people follow their specific religion over others, especially when you think it's similar to every other religion.

16. #116 dishin reg, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012

[​IMG]

Replace Carl Sagan with Charles Darwin

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I can't stop laughing I just find the stupidity within militant atheist hysterical lol

They hate religion, yet go around doing the same exact thing fanatic religious people do hahah

Hey guys I can't stand marshmallows. Let's start a group called A-marshmallowists and go around telling people who like marshmallows how stupid they are

17. I do, actually.

This is not really true on any level. What's your experience with academia?

The relevant point of the article is that the notion the "missing link" is conceptually flawed.

There is no "missing link" because a "missing link" is not a thing in evolutionary biology.

18. There's a lot of anti-intellectualism in this thread.

19. That makes sense. Damned marshmallow eaters beat too many gay people, this shit has to be stopped!

^ what he said. (don't stone me bro)

20. Are you gay? Does Christianity being against homosexuality have anything to do with you?

Or do you simply just oppress Christians because they oppress gays?:rolleyes: