Atheism has increased fivefold in United States (1 in 20 Americans)

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Bluntzilla420, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Make a youtube video of these supernatural powers please id love to see them :D

The pastor invoked God on the child and he walked perfectly, he claimed no power on his own and never displayed it otherwise.

Science cant explain it.

2. I have an one-armed friend who would like to meet this guy.

3. Shall i put it in response to the video of miracles that God has performed? ... O wait

4. [quote name='"KenjaminK"']

But that's what you've been saying just now.... :confused:[/quote]

Not a human..

5. [quote name='"KenjaminK"']

That isn't his opinion, that's logic and the facts. Something is not proved without scientific substantiation. Anecdotal evidence can contribute somewhat, but only when it's consistent among witnesses of the same event and there is additional concrete evidence to support it. For example, in the law, which is directly based off of the fundamentals of logic, you have to know who assaulted you in order to press charges, but let's say you didn't see who it was and didn't know what caused it. Let's say you even have a massive bruise on your arm. Unless someone else also saw what happened and who did it, the cause of your bruise is unknown. It doesn't matter if you think your friend Bob did it, it doesn't matter if your friend Bob thinks Sally did it, and it doesn't matter if you think Jesus himself walked up to you and punched you in the arm. If you don't have additional evidence as to the cause of the bruise, then no one can just assume who it was based on your guesses. That's just not how evidence and proof works. Even if it was a civil case, which doesn't need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but rather a preponderance of the evidence, you would still have no case against Bob, Sally, or Jesus because there is simply no evidence to prove that any of them assaulted you.

The same fundamental logic applies to the debate about whether or not there's a god. You can experience anything, see anything, etc, but unless you can provide clear evidence as to the cause, then no one else can assume that's the cause. There are too many (like millions) of other possible explanations for what happened. If someone talked to god, what if they just slipped into a rem cycle while praying and experienced a lucid dream? You can't say the Holy Spirit consumed them and allowed them to talk to god unless you can demonstrate that's happened with facts. If someone had cancer, prayed everyday and was cured, but was also on chemotherapy, you can't say it was god and not the doctors that saved them. The doctors can prove with their evidence that it was the chemotherapy that saved the patient while all you have is your assumptions and rhetoric. That's the difference. You can believe all you want, but as soon as you start trying to call things evidence that aren't and trying to bend the rules of science to suit your argument, then you're just wrong because logic isn't something that only applies to science. Logic applies to all thought universally, it is the correct way of knowing for sure what we know and ruling out things that we've made up in our mind. It allows us to distinguish between fact and theory. To deviate from logic is to deviate from reality and that's what theists need to get away from. If God exists, then he created logic for a reason and we need to use it. If you believe in a creator, then believe in his creation because that's what he's given us.[/quote]

And I'm not going to argue over the wording. To me, personally, that is evidence. To you, if it's not, then so be it. And the shroud of Turin could be pretty good evidence of you believe it is in fact Jesus.

6. #66 HongKongPhooey, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    The regrowth of limbs isn something Ive heard done, people arent lizards. Cant stop your friend from trying though. I mean what does he got to lose.:confused_2:

Nah just a simple original video would suffice. Something by the end of the day would be best, im impatient for these amazing powers and if you have them it shouldnt take you more then 30 minutes to make a video.

7. [quote name='"HongKongPhooey"']Ive seen a boy crippled for life get healed through the power of God. All the proof I need. :hello:[/quote]

May I ask what kind of crippling condition this boy had? And how you came to the conclusion that God healed him? I just wonder if there is not another conclusion that could have been drawn. I am genuinely interested, I try not to be condescending.

8. That's not how it works. Evidence is based in fact, not opinion. You may have personal conviction and that may be your reason for believing, but you have no evidence because it is not a fact that anyone has been miraculously cured by god, it is a mere unsubstantiated theory. Yes, the healing occurred, but unless the cause is documented and factually divine in nature, then it is not evidence. There is no personal evidence just as there are no personal facts. It's either a fact or it's not evidence, period. It's not about wording or semantics, it's about logic, buddy.

9. You heretic! All you need is faith in my power! You shall spend eternity in my not so fun theme-park; sucks-ville.

10. Humans aren't lizards, but that presumably shouldn't be an obstacle to the almighty. I wonder would the pastor see his lack of an arm and decide that god didn't want to heal it? Or would he give it a shot anyway...

11. [quote name='"KenjaminK"']

That's not how it works. Evidence is based in fact, not opinion. You may have personal conviction and that may be your reason for believing, but you have no evidence because it is not a fact that anyone has been miraculously cured by god, it is a mere unsubstantiated theory. Yes, the healing occurred, but unless the cause is documented and factually divine in nature, then it is not evidence. There is no personal evidence just as there are no personal facts. It's either a fact or it's not evidence, period. It's not about wording or semantics, it's about logic, buddy.[/quote]

Just as you have no 'evidence' there is no God. So it comes down to an individuals opinion. Which I chose as to be a Christian. To each their own I guess

EDIT:[quote name='"cranegame"']

May I ask what kind of crippling condition this boy had? And how you came to the conclusion that God healed him? I just wonder if there is not another conclusion that could have been drawn. I am genuinely interested, I try not to be condescending.[/quote]

I find it highly unlikely that sitting in a church being prayed over some scientific thing happened that he got cured. Timing seems a little unlikely.. Just my .02

12. you have no evidence that i do not have an invisible unicorn, therefore i am not wrong in believing that i have an invisible unicorn, and i am not wrong in believing that my unicorn guides me through everyday life, helping me and answering my prayers

13. [quote name='"bonghits14"']
    you have no evidence that i do not have an invisible unicorn, therefore i am not wrong in believing that i have an invisible unicorn, and i am not wrong in believing that my unicorn guides me through everyday life, helping me and answering my prayers[/quote]

Have you ever talked to that unicorn? Has he ever provided for you? Has he ever performed a miracle? Does he have a FACTUAL historic book written about him?

14. yes, yes, yes and yes

i wrote the book, my unicorn actually did some crazy shit, one time he flooded the earth and i had all my unicorns up on this boat and we was all chillin and shit

and there actually thinking of teaching this in schools in texas and shit so you know it's real

15. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, I know, but that doesn't mean you get to make any conclusions, it means we don't know and that it comes down to personal conviction (personal opinion), which doesn't effect anyone else but you. If you want to believe some kid was healed by the almighty, then so be it, but until you have real evidence and can prove it, then you can't assert it as fact or call it evidence. Also, it's not evidence that I have, it's evidence that we as the whole of humanity have. I am an agnostic theist. I can't help but believe in the hypothesis that a god exists, but I don't claim one exists because there is no real evidence to support such a claim. My point is that your opinions, your personal convictions, are personal and can't have any weight to other people because there's no way of knowing for sure that you're right. That's what evidence and proof is for. So, instead of irrationally devoting your life to convincing people something you have no evidence to support, why don't you dedicate your life to finding evidence to support your claims?

16. I'm not trying to convert anyone here. I wish you would be Christian but sitting here preaching isn't going to change your mind. So believe what you want to believe. And I'll continue to be a Christian :cool:

17. Luckily some of us live in the world of rationality, so it definitely isn't proof.

18. Writing factual in all caps doesn't give anything citations or an actual basis in fact, it just shows that you're having to try too hard to justify an unjustifiable position. I have yet to see substantiating proof that angels exist, there is only anecdote, so they're clearly not factual, yet they appear in this "FACTUAL" book with questionable influences.

I am Christian. I'm just not delusional about it.

19. i'm not trying to convert anyone either, i'm just trying to point out how insane it is to call me crazy for believing in an invisible unicorn (you didn't but most people would) yet it's perfectly acceptable to believe in a sky fairy or whatever version of god you choose. believing in something does not make it true

20. where did you say you derived your abilities from God or that you yourself are a God? I believe in God not in man, and you are a man otherwise you wouldnt waste your time claiming Atheism on a Stoner forum

Btw your Hubris is showing.:smoke:

God set the rules and separated Men from the animals. its just not an ability he wishes to bestow on men. Plus you cant heal something thats not there.

Im sure the pastor would still try. Maybe it would work Im not sure.