Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

At Which Temperature Does Thc Bond To Fatty Molecules (I.e., Coconut Oil)?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by humbleboy, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Hello,

Can someone answer this question?  I'm trying to find this information out in order to minimize THC lost during any additional cooking/heating after I do the oven decarboxylation process.   

Thanks so much!  

• Like Like x 1
  2. I did 220 F so minimize loss of THC. I cooked for 4 hours and the weed was still green. Then I did another 4 hours and the weed was brown. So I strained it 8 hours later and I do not think that I could have extracted any more THC. The weed did not look like weed anymore.

BTW, I used 7 grams of dank with 4 ounces of coconut oil. Really potent.

3. Vaporizing doesn't happen until the mid 300's, 200-220F is perfect.

4. I think the OP is asking about vaporizing the THC during the actual cooking/baking process rather than during the extraction process.  If I'm right, this is a complex question.
    THC doesn't really bond to fatty molecules, it's more of an interaction called solubility.  THC is somewhat soluble in fat even in the refrigerator.  As the temperature increases, the THC becomes more soluble in fat.  (The fat will absorb more THC.)  This has some limits.  If the mixture gets too hot, the THC will begin to break down also if it gets too hot the THC will vaporize and be lost. 
    Assuming you've extracted the THC from the plant matter and it's in oil, like coconut oil, you'll want to cook something with it.  Again, this gets kind of complex.  The oven temperature isn't necessarily the temperature of the THC.  You can bake brownies at 375 for 25 minutes and the THC shouldn't escape or breakdown.  If you smear the oil over a slice of bread and put it in the oven at 375 for 25 minutes, you'll loose some THC.  To make things worse, it's not a specific temperature or time that you need to stay under.  You can use a higher temperature for a shorter time or a lower temperature for a longer time.  Combine this with the fact the food you're cooking needs to be cooked and taste good and it gets pretty complicated.
    What are you trying to accomplish?  Maybe we can help.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 LuxSpiritus, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    It's a time/temp ratio the higher the temperature the less time needed to extract the product. Anything over 320 is pushing it, because not all ovens are totally accurate and progressive heat from alluminum foul or the pan it's in. 250-280 tends to be perfect at about 20-25 minutes it's all set. If it starts turning brown it means it's getting burnt and losing the active contents. I think CBD has a higher vapor temp but usually isn't as present in edibles from my knowledge. Oh and the fat content of the substrate does matter. That's why butter is so effective cause it's like 95% fat. I'm not sure if it's affected by the temp or the time, but it does effect how much is extracted. For every non polar substance is less space to absorb THC

6. Hey everyone,

Thank you for the responses!  I see some confusion to my question.  Let me try to simplify it by explaining how my analysis and thinking has been working until now.  Currently I am following the analysis of this graph by decarboxylating my cannibus in the oven for 27 minutes at 122C to reach (according to the graph) the highest conversion rate of THCA into THC.  

Second

Now I need to combine the decarboxylated cannibus with the coconut oil.  

This is where I'm confused (hopefully you guys can help)

It seems to make sense that NOW I would like to MINIMIZE any further heating done to the cannibus because the more I heat it, the more I degenerate the THC content in the final product (based upon the curve of the graph).  

So my question is based upon my logic from the sentence above:

What's the minimal temperature needed in order for me to infuse and have the THC attach to the fatty molecules or the coconut oil to make a successful and potent batch?  And for how long?  

Thanks for your help! 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't know the answer.  You would have to do an analysis to know for sure.  You have to take into account the total time at the different temperatures.
    The decarboxylation and the subsequent breakdown of THC are temperature dependent chemical reactions.  Generally, the reaction rate doubles for every 10 degree C increase.  This is why everybody says to keep the temperature lower during the extraction.  Ten minutes too long at 200 degrees isn't as big a deal as 10 minutes too long at 300 degrees.
    I don't use this method so I can't give you much advice other than if the extraction takes 8 hours at 200 degrees F, I wouldn't worry about doing a separate decarb step.

8. I'm not going to get into too much detail about everything. So what you want to do is ...194 °f ...is when the process starts....id say keep it at 205-210°f..... I roll that anywhere from 5-8 hrs...
    Depends...if u want more cbd...or....Thc??...

9. Theres all sortsa ways...just depends on,the product u are working with.....etc...

10. #10 Joker1121, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    humbleboy- I see where you're going and it's a great question. First we decarb to turn thc-a to thc, but then what time/temp does it take to have the thc bind to the oil? I make my edibles differently now by using either decarbed BHO which I just mix into warm coconut oil (I decarb the BHO in a Pyrex cup, then add warm coconut oil and blend), or I make a tincture and do a solvent transfer to coconut oil. Neither of these methods needs much time or heat to accomplish. Now I know this doesn't answer your question. What I would guess from reading many recipes is that after decarb a 3 hour slow simmer in oil will allow extraction of the thc. I don't have any science.
    I did just look up a method High Times published a while ago which recommended six hours in the crockpot at temps 185-240F (after decarb) for butter with water. We all have our favorite methods, but there isn't any one size fits all recipe to my knowledge and there are so many variables. Alcohol seems to have a fast extraction time while oils take longer. I'll mention one more thing here. Many older recipes do not include a decarb step and so the times for cooking won't correlate with decarbed cannabis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hopefully 2 years later...hes figured it out by now...

12. any conclusions???

13. 20 minutes. at 220 F
    That's all that needed to bond.
    24,000 hash caps later it's still a 20 minute cycle.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Hours of processing just makes you sleep. I wanna be WIRED !! not napping.
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1