At fault driver wants to pay out of pocket

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by cane10, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Ok sooo I got backed into in a parking lot....the damage to the car is well over 2 grand...I'm thinking I can get more money out of pocket than filing an insurance claim which I already have HEP ME...factoring in there was a car seat..I am going to get a check up.. i do not want a rental car I want cash and more than likely my car will be totaled

Sent from my SM-J327V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. What has this got to do with marijuana lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dis a real life story my dawg lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

4. Fair lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. #5 LettuceGardener, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    If your car is totalled, someone will need to pay for it, whether it's the person at fault or their insurance company. So whatever is easiest lol.

If you know someone, you could get it fixed for cheap and still look brand new.

Or you could get the full value of the car since it's totalled, and buy a different one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Ok sounds official but who will pay more the insurance claim is in effect till I see 5 grand from other party???

7. Let the insurance company handle it, you will likely be better off doing so. I had someone hit my car before insurance was mandatory. I had liability only. The damage was right around 3k. The person that hit me admitted fault and said they would pay. We signed an agreement stating as much. Sounds great right? In reality this established myself as a legal creditor and them as a legal debtor. Before they made the first payment, they turned around and payed a lawyer instead who filed them under chapter 13 bankruptcy which is also known as debtors court. Under chapter 13 their available income is calculated and a payment plan established. However, it can only be a maximum of like 25% of their income. This gets divided among creditors based on the percentage of the balance the creditor has toward the debtor. So if they owe me 1k and someone else 99k then I only get 1% of their calculated monthly payment, and that is after the court gets their fee off the top. My percentage of the payments came to less than $20 per month and there was no way to legally sue them because the debt was filed as part of the chapter 13 proceeding. They payed that for two months and then filed chapter 7 which is a total relief of all debt. In the end I got less than $50 for my totaled car. Sorry to say it but you just cant trust people any more and while I may have some sympathy that his insurance will go up, it is his own damn fault and if he cant drive without destroying peoples stuff then it needs to be on his record.

• Like Like x 1
  8. a guy ran a stop sign and i hit him, it was completely his fault...

he wanted to pay me cash as well, but i let the insurance handle it and i got almost 3 times what he was wanting to pay, i ended up with a tad over $10,000

my car was totaled, it was a 91 Cadillac Brougham so it being paid for helped me collect more because i didn't have to pay any debt off

9. The reason people want to stay away from insurance is not just because their premiums will go up, but also because the vehicle they are driving will now have an accident on it and when they go to sell it and people check the car fax, they will see the vehicle has an accident on it and attempt to low-ball the seller, even if the vehicle is not even that damaged, simply because it was involved in an accident.

Just recently I was proposed with a vehicle that seemed way to good to be true... Practically mint. Did a car fax on it, fuckin thing had 13 accidents on it and looked brand new.

If your vehicle is totaled and you will not be driving it further or repairing it, NEVER go out of pocket... That is what insurance is for. If you plan to sell the vehicle at a later date, and you want to retain as much value as possible when you are selling it, then you can go out of pocket to keep that accident off of the Car fax.

10. DONT BE DUMB call the cops and make a report, I see idiots like you on judge judy and TPC all the time...FFS do it right instead of trying to get paid, thats fucking scummy.

11. Ain't no love in these streets!!!!

12. #12 jay719, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Honestly you cant always trust carfax either. This car still had a clean carfax after a roll over that damaged almost every major body panel and insurance covered the repair.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fuck that, in the end you will get screwed. Let insurance handle it IMO. Don't let them low-ball you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My life is now complete after reading this.

Oh and make sure ya not getting scammed, cause people do that and then don't pay you lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. You are not going to get more because all the person at-fault owes you is the cost to fix the car, same as what insurance would pay you. Any misrepresentation of the cost is fraud. The only way you would get more money than the cost of the damage is if you were hurt. Don't be an asshole, it is already hard enough for those legitimately hurt to get their due.

16. Ok if the Insurance totals my car bc damages r more than the car itself they would pay out for the car only....i don't see an asshole in this situation....they want to pay out of pocket dude...I have mouths to feed....dog eat dog....eat or be eaten.....

17. #17 MotivationOfSelf, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    I have been told someone would pay out of pocket before and once they got the bill they said no thanks let insurance deal with it. Did you report the claim? Same stuff you were saying, wanted to pay out of pocket but repairs exceeded car value and it was totaled, and insurance paid out the claim.

18. This is just silly. Do you know the other driver personally? What makes you think he’s going to actually pay you? Because he said so??

You need to report the accident to the police no matter what - this way it is at least documented. It’s up to you but I would let insurance deal with it. If you decide you want to trust this person to pay you, I would still at least reported to the police, take it to a body shop or three and get several estimates. If the guy has no problem paying you the highest estimate amount then fine as long as he pays it all at once and doesn’t ask if you can make payments to you. If he pays immediately, fine, but if he doesn’t then at least you’ve documented it at the police station and filled out an accident report.

I wouldn’t trust another driver to pay me out of pocket for anything. Most people suck.

J